OT: Scotch thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've been looking to reward myself for getting promoted back in March, but struggling with what to get. I've been putting aside $5-$10 here and there and have a MAX $150 budget.

I am an Islay fan first and foremost but enjoy Speysides and Island whiskies. Anyone ever have the Adbeg Perpetuum or Grooves? Never heard of them. I had a bottle of Airigh Nam Beist and Uigeadail in the past and really enjoyed them. Local Shop also has Laphroaig LORE, 16 year and 10 year Sherry Oak.

I had Grooves committee release. It's good but not worth the price premium over Uigeadail. Don't pay for LORE. Laphroaig Cairdeas is less expensive (most places) and better. Airigh Nam Beist 2006 was terrific. Have you had any Springbank or Longrow? The Longrow Red series is really wonderful and different. Any Ballechin? Not sure what you have access to.

Reaction Score
I had Grooves committee release. It's good but not worth the price premium over Uigeadail. Don't pay for LORE. Laphroaig Cairdeas is less expensive (most places) and better. Airigh Nam Beist 2006 was terrific. Have you had any Springbank or Longrow? The Longrow Red series is really wonderful and different. Any Ballechin? Not sure what you have access to.
I've had Springbank 10 but wasn't really impressed. I just didn't think the profile fit my taste. I have heard the 15 was spectacular, which led me to the 10 which was the only one available at the time. I have not seen Ballechin but the local shop has a Longrow Red Cabernet Cask for $170 and another shop has the peated for $65.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I've had Springbank 10 but wasn't really impressed. I just didn't think the profile fit my taste. I have heard the 15 was spectacular, which led me to the 10 which was the only one available at the time. I have not seen Ballechin but the local shop has a Longrow Red Cabernet Cask for $170 and another shop has the peated for $65.

$170 is too much, should be about $125. The plain peated is good, but not what you are looking for in a special bottle. Nor is the ordinary Ballechin. But this might be. Single barrel selected by a panel from r/Scotch (I know most of the guys on the panel). The 2020 Laphroaig Cairdeas Port & Wine casks gets really good reviews, and I liked the 2019 Cairdeas Triple Wood.

Not sure if it is special enough, but the Cairdeas is an annual release that differs each year and is about $80-90. Lagavulin 12 will run you $150, but I don't think it's actually worth that. The Octomores are all past your price point. If you can find Ardbeg Scorch Committee Release, that's probably your ticket. It's getting much better reviews than Grooves, Drum and some other recent releases. I may grab one if I can find it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've been looking to reward myself for getting promoted back in March, but struggling with what to get. I've been putting aside $5-$10 here and there and have a MAX $150 budget.

I am an Islay fan first and foremost but enjoy Speysides and Island whiskies. Anyone ever have the Adbeg Perpetuum or Grooves? Never heard of them. I had a bottle of Airigh Nam Beist and Uigeadail in the past and really enjoyed them. Local Shop also has Laphroaig LORE, 16 year and 10 year Sherry Oak.
I’d get two great and very different bottles: Caol Ila for your Islay; and for something totally different and decadent, Auchentoshan Three Wood, a triple-distilled Lowland that I now consider my “dessert” Scotch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
$170 is too much, should be about $125. The plain peated is good, but not what you are looking for in a special bottle. Nor is the ordinary Ballechin. But this might be. Single barrel selected by a panel from r/Scotch (I know most of the guys on the panel). The 2020 Laphroaig Cairdeas Port & Wine casks gets really good reviews, and I liked the 2019 Cairdeas Triple Wood.

Not sure if it is special enough, but the Cairdeas is an annual release that differs each year and is about $80-90. Lagavulin 12 will run you $150, but I don't think it's actually worth that. The Octomores are all past your price point. If you can find Ardbeg Scorch Committee Release, that's probably your ticket. It's getting much better reviews than Grooves, Drum and some other recent releases. I may grab one if I can find it.
Haven't seen the Scorch in a while, but I did see Corryvreckan. Just saw they had Balvenie 17 year Double Wood. I've always like the 12 DW. Kills me to see what the Balvenie Portwood 21 costs now. $280! I bought it back in the mid 2000s for $119.
I’d get two great and very different bottles: Caol Ila for your Islay; and for something totally different and decadent, Auchentoshan Three Wood, a triple-distilled Lowland that I know consider my “dessert” Scotch.
The Auchentoshen is available. Hmmmm.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

A Lagavulin 16 and then use the rest to buy an American or Japanese single malt just for kicks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If I get bored later, I’m thinking of just listing every scotch/bourbon/single malt I own and seeing if we can come up with some sort of master list of recommendations and ones to avoid.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If I get bored later, I’m thinking of just listing every scotch/bourbon/single malt I own and seeing if we can come up with some sort of master list of recommendations and ones to avoid.
It seems I avoid all bourbon that tastes like bourbon.

Reaction Score
It seems I avoid all bourbon that tastes like bourbon.

As I avoid a good scotch....no peat monsters for me....I had a shot of McCallen 12 while out for dinner last night...and that beginner's scotch suits me.

My theory of the Scots is that they are maybe a step ahead of early US whiskey makers who might put anything they could find that would turn into alcohol into a mash barrel.

But I am a bourbon drinker primarily.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As I avoid a good scotch....no peat monsters for me....I had a shot of McCallen 12 while out for dinner last night...and that beginner's scotch suits me.

My theory of the Scots is that they are maybe a step ahead of early US whiskey makers who might put anything they could find that would turn into alcohol into a mash barrel.

But I am a bourbon drinker primarily.
No shame in McCallan 12.

Unless it’s one of my kids’ 21st birthdays though, I don’t do shots of anything anymore. I sip.

Reaction Score
No shame in McCallan 12.

Unless it’s one of my kids’ 21st birthdays though, I don’t do shots of anything anymore. I sip.

I sip a double shot when out with friends for dinner...my favorite place knows me well and the bartender double pours...neat. My neighbor like his on ice.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No shame in McCallan 12.

The reason I started drinking scotch in the first place was in the first years post-college, whenever my college buddies and I would go out and start to get buzzed earlier than expected, we'd order a scotch to slow down. We all actually hated the stuff at first, probably because we weren't calling, and likely getting whatever was on the bottom shelf, or worse, the well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I just do not like bourbon.

I accept that other people do, but I have zero need to ever try another.
I've found that it is, however, essential as a mixer. And regular old Evan Williams works fine in a Manhattan or Old Fashioned.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've found that it is, however, essential as a mixer. And regular old Evan Williams works fine in a Manhattan or Old Fashioned.

I won’t drink them - there’s something about bourbon, the oak, I think, that I just do not like.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I won’t drink them - there’s something about bourbon, the oak, I think, that I just do not like.
That’s why I think that Breckinridge Rum Barrel is the first one I’ve remotely liked; it doesn’t taste like bourbon.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That’s why I think that Breckinridge Rum Barrel is the first one I’ve remotely liked; it doesn’t taste like bourbon.

It‘s a guess, but bourbon is unique in that it must be aged in new charred oak. New barrels. Which is why the Scots use the old ones, along with breweries and rum distillers. That char level is pretty distinctive, I suppose you like it or not. Also 51% corn, which is certainly different than malted barley.

I don’t know if Bunnahabhain 12 has been mentioned, it’s one of my favorite entry level Scotches. I tend to like at least some sherry cask.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It‘s a guess, but bourbon is unique in that it must be aged in new charred oak. New barrels. Which is why the Scots use the old ones, along with breweries and rum distillers. That char level is pretty distinctive, I suppose you like it or not. Also 51% corn, which is certainly different than malted barley.

I don’t know if Bunnahabhain 12 has been mentioned, it’s one of my favorite entry level Scotches. I tend to like at least some sherry cask.

We know about the oak....it’s what imparts the awful freaking flavor that makes bourbon bourbon.

Most distillers use more than 51% corn - generally 70% or so with maybe 10% rye. Breckenridge uses the absolute minimum corn at 51% and uses 38% rye, so it starts off a lil different and then they put it in something other than an awful piece of new oak tree.

I actually have a bottle of Bunnahabhain...eh, not crazy about it. It’s not bad, but I’m never moved to open it again. It’s in the swap box - friend of mine and I are going to swap bottles that we’re not crazy about. I might like the stuff he hates and vice versa.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We know about the oak....it’s what imparts the awful freaking flavor that makes bourbon bourbon.

Most distillers use more than 51% corn - generally 70% or so with maybe 10% rye. Breckenridge uses the absolute minimum corn at 51% and uses 38% rye, so it starts off a lil different and then they put it in something other than an awful piece of new oak tree.

I actually have a bottle of Bunnahabhain...eh, not crazy about it. It’s not bad, but I’m never moved to open it again. It’s in the swap box - friend of mine and I are going to swap bottles that we’re not crazy about. I might like the stuff he hates and vice versa.

Lots of high rye bourbons out there. Breckenridge does put it in new charred oak, they only finish it in rum casks (or PX casks etc). Can‘t call it bourbon otherwise.

Scotch is highly individualistic. My neighbor loves Dahlwhinnie and I think it’s boring as hell.

I quite like Edradour (including Ballechin), Springbank (including Longrow), Talisker, Bruichladdich (including Port Charlotte). But often independent bottlings.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Good news, bad news....

Nikka Coffey Grain and Coffey Malt should both be coming back into stock.

Bad news...the price seems to have gone nuts. Saw the Grain today at 58.99 (normal) and 89.99. The malt was 82.99 and 89.99.

There’s simply not enough difference to warrant $30 extra for the malt and neither one is worth $90.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Good news, bad news....

Nikka Coffey Grain and Coffey Malt should both be coming back into stock.

Bad news...the price seems to have gone nuts. Saw the Grain today at 58.99 (normal) and 89.99. The malt was 82.99 and 89.99.

There’s simply not enough difference to warrant $30 extra for the malt and neither one is worth $90.
I think there was an import tax that just kicked in.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’ve done it. Your new bible.

Scotch:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14 - Port cask; quite good. Will Replace.
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 - Sampler, replaced by the 14.
Glenmorangie The Original - Unremarkable.
Glenmorangie Lasanta - Good, but not buying again.
Glenmorangie Nector Dor - Same.
Glendronach Revival 15 - Very good, but no longer my taste.
Glendronach Original 12 - Nothing special.
Lagavulin 16 - Enjoyed it, but am over the peated scotches. Not replacing.
Laphroaig Triple Wood - Same. Tastes like a sweet complex ashtray.
Balvenie Caribbean Cask - Loved the first bottle, hated the second.
Balvenie Double Wood 12 - Oak. Nuff said.
Bunnahabhain 12 - Not offensive but the bottle is being swapped.
Aberlour 12 - Really disappointing. Also being swapped.
Aberlour A’Bunadh - Spend more and buy this over the 12. Very nice.
Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve - Deck scotch.
Johnny Walker Black Label - Fine.
Monkey Shoulder - Buy this instead of the last two. Quite a bargain.
Macallan 12 - Amazed anyone likes this. Just beyond dull.
Glenfiddich Fire and Cane - Blech.

Japan:

Nikka Coffey Malt - Very good. If it’s $30 more, buy the Grain instead.
Nikka Coffey Grain - Great. Cheap.
Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt - Think you guys would like this.
Nikka from the Barrel - Good, but not likely buying again.

Ireland:

Green Spot - Honestly, nearly perfect.
Red Spot - Actually, perfect.
Blue Spot - Actually, better than perfect.
Redbreast 15 - Disappointing.
Redbreast 12 - Disappointing.
Redbreast Lustau - Somehow, wonderful.
Jameson - Bargain, but stretch for the Green Spot.
Jameson Caskmates Stout - Another bargain.
Connemara 12 Year - A peated Irish. Not my taste.
Writers Tears - Unremarkable. Buy Jameson instead and save $5.
Bushmills - Deck whiskey.

India:

Amrut Single Malt - I would use it to kill ants.

America:

Slaughter House American Whiskey - It’s actually bourbon, I think. Yuck.
Breckenridge Port Cask - Interesting. Rye comes out more here. Recommended.
Breckenridge Rum Cask - Love it.
Westland Sherry Wood - Definitely buy again.
Balconies Texas Single Malt - High-proof, would buy again.
Balcones Lineage - Lower proof. Not remarkable.
Virginia Distillery Courage and Conviction - Excellent. Total Wine has 50ml samples.
Virginia Distillery Cider Cask - $15 less than C and C. Like C and C a lot more.
Westward Single Malt - Excellent. Will buy it if I can find it.
Stranahan’s Diamond Peak - Maybe stick with the regular Stranahans.
Van Brunt Stillhouse Single Malt - Awful.

Bourbon:

Buffalo Trace - Bad
Eagle Rare - Bad
Wilderness Trail Bourbon - Really bad
Gentleman Jack - Slightly less bad. But still bad.

Rye:

Copper Fox Rye Whiskey - Eh....coming around on this one.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The Bunnahabhain 18 is actually very nice. I agree on the 12. I've been drinking a lot of rye lately, love sazeracs,

I just got back from Mexico and I brought back a bottle of Extra Anejo Tequilla - surprising how nice it is to sip. If you don't like oaked beverages though, you won't like the vanilla and spices.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’ve done it. Your new bible.

Scotch:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14 - Port cask; quite good. Will Replace.
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 - Sampler, replaced by the 14.
Glenmorangie The Original - Unremarkable.
Glenmorangie Lasanta - Good, but not buying again.
Glenmorangie Nector Dor - Same.
Glendronach Revival 15 - Very good, but no longer my taste.
Glendronach Original 12 - Nothing special.
Lagavulin 16 - Enjoyed it, but am over the peated scotches. Not replacing.
Laphroaig Triple Wood - Same. Tastes like a sweet complex ashtray.
Balvenie Caribbean Cask - Loved the first bottle, hated the second.
Balvenie Double Wood 12 - Oak. Nuff said.
Bunnahabhain 12 - Not offensive but the bottle is being swapped.
Aberlour 12 - Really disappointing. Also being swapped.
Aberlour A’Bunadh - Spend more and buy this over the 12. Very nice.
Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve - Deck scotch.
Johnny Walker Black Label - Fine.
Monkey Shoulder - Buy this instead of the last two. Quite a bargain.
Macallan 12 - Amazed anyone likes this. Just beyond dull.
Glenfiddich Fire and Cane - Blech.

Japan:

Nikka Coffey Malt - Very good. If it’s $30 more, buy the Grain instead.
Nikka Coffey Grain - Great. Cheap.
Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt - Think you guys would like this.
Nikka from the Barrel - Good, but not likely buying again.

Ireland:

Green Spot - Honestly, nearly perfect.
Red Spot - Actually, perfect.
Blue Spot - Actually, better than perfect.
Redbreast 15 - Disappointing.
Redbreast 12 - Disappointing.
Redbreast Lustau - Somehow, wonderful.
Jameson - Bargain, but stretch for the Green Spot.
Jameson Caskmates Stout - Another bargain.
Connemara 12 Year - A peated Irish. Not my taste.
Writers Tears - Unremarkable. Buy Jameson instead and save $5.
Bushmills - Deck whiskey.

India:

Amrut Single Malt - I would use it to kill ants.

America:

Slaughter House American Whiskey - It’s actually bourbon, I think. Yuck.
Breckenridge Port Cask - Interesting. Rye comes out more here. Recommended.
Breckenridge Rum Cask - Love it.
Westland Sherry Wood - Definitely buy again.
Balconies Texas Single Malt - High-proof, would buy again.
Balcones Lineage - Lower proof. Not remarkable.
Virginia Distillery Courage and Conviction - Excellent. Total Wine has 50ml samples.
Virginia Distillery Cider Cask - $15 less than C and C. Like C and C a lot more.
Westward Single Malt - Excellent. Will buy it if I can find it.
Stranahan’s Diamond Peak - Maybe stick with the regular Stranahans.
Van Brunt Stillhouse Single Malt - Awful.

Bourbon:

Buffalo Trace - Bad
Eagle Rare - Bad
Wilderness Trail Bourbon - Really bad
Gentleman Jack - Slightly less bad. But still bad.

Rye:

Copper Fox Rye Whiskey - Eh....coming around on this one.

Seems you like sherry cask stuff. Across, Irish, Scotch and American that theme seems consistent. Maybe try the Breckenridge PX.

Also, @Drumguy gave me an idea. Have you had any Mezcal? Not the crappy worm stuff, but the real Mezcal that is very popular now. Quite a lot of variation in profiles, and 99% of it is unaged. It's kind of the anti-Bourbon of the spirits world.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have you had any Mezcal? Not the crappy worm stuff, but the real Mezcal that is very popular now. Quite a lot of variation in profiles, and 99% of it is unaged. It's kind of the anti-Bourbon of the spirits world.
That may explain my recent love affair with Mezcal cocktails, which I've been drinking out at restaurants and bars with interesting cocktail lists. I have yet to sip it though. Any you recommend? Would your recommendation be different if using to make cocktails?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom