OT: Scotch thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nice choice. That's the best "reasonably priced" Japanese Whisky left.
Well word must be getting out, and/or tariffs are hitting that, too.

I went to four different stores to find it; two of the first three had no Nikka at all (and responded to the effect of "I wish" when I asked for it), and the other said he was getting it in this week. I finally found it at a place I almost didn't even stop at because I doubted he would have it, but I got his last bottle and it was $80. It looks like it was around $65 when first imported in 2018 but I am guessing the tariffs and demand have driven it up, so I was okay with that price and it definitely delivers in terms of taste imo.

So today I decided to get a bottle for my partner for Christmas and, when I can find it online, I am seeing prices ranging from $80 to $200! I finally located it at a local place for $80 and bought three bottles, figuring I will give one to him and stash the other two as backups for myself, because I have a feeling this might go the way of Lagavulin.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well word must be getting out, and/or tariffs are hitting that, too.

I went to four different stores to find it; two of the first three had no Nikka at all (and responded to the effect of "I wish" when I asked for it), and the other said he was getting it in this week. I finally found it at a place I almost didn't even stop at because I doubted he would have it, but I got his last bottle and it was $80. It looks like it was around $65 when first imported in 2018 but I am guessing the tariffs and demand have driven it up, so I was okay with that price and it definitely delivers in terms of taste imo.

So today I decided to get a bottle for my partner for Christmas and, when I can find it online, I am seeing prices ranging from $80 to $200! I finally located it at a local place for $80 and bought three bottles, figuring I will give one to him and stash the other two as backups for myself, because I have a feeling this might go the way of Lagavulin.

Oh it was always a hot bottle. People used to mule it from overseas and then flip bottles. Given the 500ml size it is expensive even at $65. I'm just comparing it to things like Yamazaki 12, which used to be $65 and is now more like $180+. Hibiki 12 is even worse, saw it for over $600 at The Whisky Exchange (it's discontinued now). The stuff has gone bonkers, because there isn't much older age stated Japanese whisky. That's why you see fake stuff now, distilled in Scotland and aged in Japan.

The Kaiyo is solid and interesting. It's $65, and was distilled in Japan. Teaspooned to avoid stating the name of the distillery.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh it was always a hot bottle. People used to mule it from overseas and then flip bottles. Given the 500ml size it is expensive even at $65.
It is a 750 ml bottle, so not so bad.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It is a 750 ml bottle, so not so bad.

Oh that's a change then. I think when first sold here it was the usual 500ml they sold overseas. That could explain the price increase.

Reaction Score
A special night... Listening to Eric Clapton on PBS... Broke out a serious dram of Lagivullen 16. My absolute favorite single malt. I have over 50 and have been collecting for over 25 years. A joy of my life. Layla was our wedding song 48 years ago. One great way to survive Covid!!!!!1

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A question for the Scotch drinkers here on glasses. I most often use a Glencairn. I have come to also like my Tuath Glass. I got a couple of those. Slightly larger and with a heavier base (supposedly Skellig Michael). My favorite by far is one I rarely use, a Canadian Glencairn. My fairy time using one came when the barkeeper/owner of a small inn in Nairn, Scotland gave me a big pour before shutting down for the night. The problem is that if I use it, I’m probably going to drink too much.

I don’t sure rocks or old fashioned glasses unless I‘m drinking cocktails.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't know if they have a name, but the glasses I use basically look like a heavy bottomed stemless red wine glass/snifter.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A question for the Scotch drinkers here on glasses. I most often use a Glencairn. I have come to also like my Tuath Glass. I got a couple of those. Slightly larger and with a heavier base (supposedly Skellig Michael). My favorite by far is one I rarely use, a Canadian Glencairn. My fairy time using one came when the barkeeper/owner of a small inn in Nairn, Scotland gave me a big pour before shutting down for the night. The problem is that if I use it, I’m probably going to drink too much.

I don’t sure rocks or old fashioned glasses unless I‘m drinking cocktails.
So I know it makes me a cretin, but I like a little chill on my whisky. My daughter bought me these cool molds that make an ice ball that‘s probably around 2.5” diameter. I have these oval crystal glasses we bought in Italy with heavy bottoms and I like drinking wine out of them, but I discovered that the ice ball is the perfect size to get lodged when the oval narrows, and the ice ball gets suspended around a half inch above the bottom of the glass. I pour the whiskey over the ice ball and then it settles below it and never touches the ice until I tilt the glass to drink it.

Works perfectly for me.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I don't know if they have a name, but the glasses I use basically look like a heavy bottomed stemless red wine glass/snifter.
They're called stemless wine glass/snifters.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They're called stemless wine glass/snifters.
lol.

glass.JPG

Reaction Score
So I know it makes me a cretin, but I like a little chill on my whisky. My daughter bought me these cool molds that make an ice ball that‘s probably around 2.5” diameter. I have these oval crystal glasses we bought in Italy with heavy bottoms and I like drinking wine out of them, but I discovered that the ice ball is the perfect size to get lodged when the oval narrows, and the ice ball gets suspended around a half inch above the bottom of the glass. I pour the whiskey over the ice ball and then it settles below it and never touches the ice until I tilt the glass to drink it.

Works perfectly for me.
Have done the same.. There are actually bars around the US that have a cube molding machine by the bar that makes the singular ice ball for your favorite whisky.. Scottsdale was the first city that I experienced this set up in ..

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Works perfectly for me.

And @Grey Goose, however you enjoy it is the right way. That ice not melting into the whisky is an interesting trick.

I used to write a lot of reviews, and for that, neat in a Glencairn is pretty much necessary. Maybe a drop or two of water if it is cask strength. Just to normalize results. I've been lazy this year, mostly stopped writing reviews. If you are interested in reviews, I'll offer a shameless plug for a guy I know who just became the Whiskey reviewer and managing editor of this new publication. Whiskey Raiders: Abrams Media Launches New Site (mediaite.com)

I'll probably be sending him some samples and look forward to seeing those hit the new site.

Reaction Score
And @Grey Goose, however you enjoy it is the right way. That ice not melting into the whisky is an interesting trick.

I used to write a lot of reviews, and for that, neat in a Glencairn is pretty much necessary. Maybe a drop or two of water if it is cask strength. Just to normalize results. I've been lazy this year, mostly stopped writing reviews. If you are interested in reviews, I'll offer a shameless plug for a guy I know who just became the Whiskey reviewer and managing editor of this new publication. Whiskey Raiders: Abrams Media Launches New Site (mediaite.com)

I'll probably be sending him some samples and look forward to seeing those hit the new site.
Agree with you on the versatility of approaches.. Have Glencairns with the family crest on them.. Curious if you've ever toasted with a quaich?? Scottish drinking vessel..Usually pewter..Used for celebrations..Old school but fun..

One last note of interest.. Depending on the number of years of the age of the scotch .. Once on the tongue.. Count to the number of years of the age. .Before swallowing .. When you contrast that approach vs a quick sip.. It's amazing how much differently the scotch tastes. Advice given on the box of a scotch that bears our family name..

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Did any of your reviews ever make it into Whisky Advocate Magazine?? Always an interesting read..

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Did any of your reviews ever make it into Whisky Advocate Magazine?? Always an interesting read..

Me? Nope. Just Reddit. I'm a casual in the vernacular of the board. I take Whisky Advocate with some grains of salt, just like Wine Spectator. Mostly the floor score is just way too high.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
@8893 I found a bottle of that Irish Cream from Cork. Wife has been enjoying the Coole Swan, so I put the new one in a wine bag and put it under the tree. Easiest Christmas shopping for my wife I can recall.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@8893 I found a bottle of that Irish Cream from Cork. Wife has been enjoying the Coole Swan, so I put the new one in a wine bag and put it under the tree. Easiest Christmas shopping for my wife I can recall.
I gave a bottle to each of my two associates today for their Christmas present.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you're looking for something a little different, I really liked Breckenridge's Rum Cask Finish.

There's no statement of what it is on the bottle, but I'm fairly sure it is their bourbon finished in rum casks instead of oak.

It cures what I dislike about bourbon - the oak - and it's reasonable at $50-ish.

It's one of those that I will immediately buy a second bottle.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's one of those that I will immediately buy a second bottle.
Similarly, I purchased my first bottle of Nikka Whisky From The Barrel two weeks ago; I am about 3/4 done with it, but I have already purchased two backups for myself.

I gave a bottle to my partner for Christmas yesterday. And then I told him about the Nikka Coffey Grain and Coffey Malt, both of which I also have now and have also been enjoying over the last month or so, alternating among them thanks to your rec. He tried the Whisky From the Barrel last night and loved it. He left the office a few hours ago to finish some Christmas shopping and just called to tell me that he bought both of them and the Nikka Single Malt for himself and his wife (who also loves whiskey) while he was shopping for others.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I grabbed something for myself today. High West Campfire. I tried a sample a few years ago but never got a bottle. It’s a blend of rye, bourbon and peated scotch. Thought it would be ideal for Christmas time.

@8893 I haven’t seen Nikka From the Barrel in any local shops. The Coffee Grain is there as always. I’ll grab one if I find it. Haven’t had it in years.

@Fishy yes the Breckinridge is their high rye bourbon finished in their own rum casks. Surprised that they said the whiskey is a blend of ages from 4-10. Older than expected. I’ve had the Port finished, but this one they just released this June.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I gave a bottle to my partner for Christmas yesterday. And then I told him about the Nikka Coffey Grain and Coffey Malt, both of which I also have now and have also been enjoying over the last month or so, alternating among them thanks to your rec. He tried the Whisky From the Barrel last night and loved it. He left the office a few hours ago to finish some Christmas shopping and just called to tell me that he bought both of them and the Nikka Single Malt for himself and his wife (who also loves whiskey) while he was shopping for others.

I grabbed something for myself today. High West Campfire. I tried a sample a few years ago but never got a bottle. It’s a blend of rye, bourbon and peated scotch. Thought it would be ideal for Christmas time.

@8893 I haven’t seen Nikka From the Barrel in any local shops. The Coffee Grain is there as always. I’ll grab one if I find it. Haven’t had it in years.

@Fishy yes the Breckinridge is their high rye bourbon finished in their own rum casks. Surprised that they said the whiskey is a blend of ages from 4-10. Older than expected. I’ve had the Port finished, but this one they just released this June.

Nikka from the Bottle can be hard to find - like, I cannot find a bottle of it in New York.

Coffey Grain is always easy to find. Coffey Malt, much less so. If you like the Malt and you see it, buy it.

I tried another Nikka recently and it was another where I immediately bought a second bottle...Taketsuru Pure Malt. It’s kind of a mix of the Coffey Grain/Malt sweetness with a little bit of peat. It’s really pretty pleasant - it’s like $68 and relatively hard to find. The liquor store next to the Danbury Fair airport carries it.

It’s funny how your tastes can change and then change back and then go in a different direction entirely.

Right now, I have no taste for much from Scotland. I have a tenth of a bottle of Lagavulin left and when it’s gone, I won’t replace it immediately. (Based on what HH wrote about Breckenridge, perhaps I should look into a rye next?)

Right now, I’m really enjoying single malts from out west - Westland, Westward, Balcones - and the Nikka offerings.

I also still really enjoy Green Spot. Earlier this summer, I finally found a bottle of Red Spot after searching all over for it...tried it two or three times and was profoundly disappointed by it. Last weekend, I fetched it from the basement and gave it another shot - wonderful.

Such a strange and evolving hobby.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nikka from the Bottle can be hard to find - like, I cannot find a bottle of it in New York.

Coffey Grain is always easy to find. Coffey Malt, much less so. If you like the Malt and you see it, buy it.

I tried another Nikka recently and it was another where I immediately bought a second bottle...Taketsuru Pure Malt. It’s kind of a mix of the Coffey Grain/Malt sweetness with a little bit of peat. It’s really pretty pleasant - it’s like $68 and relatively hard to find. The liquor store next to the Danbury Fair airport carries it.

It’s funny how your tastes can change and then change back and then go in a different direction entirely.

Right now, I have no taste for much from Scotland. I have a tenth of a bottle of Lagavulin left and when it’s gone, I won’t replace it immediately. (Based on what HH wrote about Breckenridge, perhaps I should look into a rye next?)

Right now, I’m really enjoying single malts from out west - Westland, Westward, Balcones - and the Nikka offerings.

I also still really enjoy Green Spot. Earlier this summer, I finally found a bottle of Red Spot after searching all over for it...tried it two or three times and was profoundly disappointed by it. Last weekend, I fetched it from the basement and gave it another shot - wonderful.

Such a strange and evolving hobby.
Yeah, from what I have gleaned over the past few weeks, the Nikka Whisky From the Barrel seems to be primed for a Lagavulin-type scarcity and price hike, which is why I am grabbing sub-$80 bottles to stash.

I like both the Coffey Malt and Coffey Grain, but I like the Malt better--and yes, much more scarce in these parts, too.

Agreed on the changing tastes, sometimes from night to night. My first sip of Whisky From the Barrel the other night startled me because it tasted harsh and jarring, nothing like it had on the half-dozen prior occasions. Then I switched to something else and came back to it and it tasted wonderful.

I didn't know there was a Red Spot until now. I've never even bought Yellow Spot and have only tasted it; but Green Spot is still in regular rotation for me. Which, unfortunately, has relegated Redbreast 12 to just "meh" for me lately.

A new client brought me a bottle of Woodford Reserve this week and I have yet to crack it. I have yet to be grabbed by bourbon in the same way that I love Scotch and some Irish (and now all Nikka), but I am hopeful to warm to this on the right night. Otherwise, it will await mint juleps in the warmer weather.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I go back and forth as well. Shifting between bourbon, rye, rum, scotch - and there between peated, ex bourbon cask and sherries, and Irish. Have mostly found Irish to be bland, but there are few good ones. There is a Teeling Rum cask that was only $27 and was solid. Picked up Knappogue Castle 12 and it’s better than Redbreast 12, and cheaper. Will try the 14 when this is gone. I love Privateer‘s rums. Made in MA and now sold in NY. It may be an alternative to Bourbon that you guys would like.

@Fishy Rye is going to have the same aging as bourbon, new charred oak is required by law. But there are a bunch of products both rye and bourbon with finishes now. You might like the Abraham Bowman port cask. You’d probably like the various High West finished cask offerings too. It does change the character.

@8893 woodford probably won’t be the one to grab you. You seem to like pleated Scotch, but ex bourbon barrel and sherry blended Irish and Japanese. I think ex bourbon cask Scotch usually has more going on than Irish or Japanese. What is it about the Nikki that grabs you? The Kaiyo I mentioned is good and available. One of the reasons the Nikka is popular and flavorful is that it’s 51.4%. Scotch is usually 43 or 46%. It’s also a blend of sherry and ex bourbon casks. So is Redbreast.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What is it about the Nikki that grabs you?
I'm not sure. I think I like that it's not too much of anything, i.e., not too sweet, too peaty, too oaky, too medicinal; just seems like a nice balance and very warming. And you don't taste the 51.4%.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Call this a "120 minute Scotch subthread".

I'm gonna try to hit the state monopoly store to get myself a present since no relatives are supplying me with my yearly bottle of Laga 16.

Supposedly Laphroaig Quarter Cask 96 proof is in stock for $72. As someone who can't stand regular Laphroaig, am I gonna gag on this?

Alternative Islays are (provided the website is accurate): Ardbeg 10 ($53), Ardbeg Uigeadail ($78), GoT Lannister Lagavulin ($70), Jura 7 Wood 84 proof ($80), Port Askaig 110 proof ($80), Bruichladdich 10 100 proof ($70), Ardbeg An Oa ($55).

Clock is ticking, I want to be at the store by 3pm ;-)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom