Score Predictions vs Notre Dame (1/7/12) | The Boneyard

Score Predictions vs Notre Dame (1/7/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
That's about where I would predict the score, but since you took 78-70 I'll say

ND 79
UCONN 71

For context, my early season prediction was 4 losses. Also I predicted a 7-point loss at Baylor (69-62) and the loss was by 5 (66-61). This is another loss I had chalked up early, and as I still don't feel very good mojo for the team lately I still think it goes in the "L" column. I think ND is riding fairly high and has a lot of desire to take this one at home.

Lastly, as Kelly and others have noted after Baylor, this team still needs to figure out how to close. As in the Baylor game, we could well be in a position to win today but then not focus & execute when it counts. I don't see this team as having made progress in that department. Our national championship teams had a mean edge at times, esp on the road. Don't yet see that bearing with this crew but today would be a nice time to get it and prove me wrong... :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
if 2 of the Big 3 were rolling I'd give the edge to UConn but Kiah, Heather nor Dolson is hot right now!

hopefully they help make it interesting, but we may be surprised if this turns into a guards/wings game!

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
if 2 of the Big 3 were rolling I'd give the edge to UConn but Kiah, Heather nor Dolson is hot right now!

hopefully they help make it interesting, but we may be surprised if this turns into a guards/wings game!

My thoughts exactly!!!!

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
ND 78 UConn 70. I think it could be worse. This is an upperclass laden Irish team that is probably as good as '01. Miss Tuffet will be at her best today. It is going to be a tough tough game. If we play as well as we did at Baylor, we can win. The one thing I don't want to see is a Geno meltdown.....silently chewing his cheek with his arms folded staring at the floor.

Reaction Score
75-65 Notre Dame.

If Devereaux Peters stays out of foul trouble, the margin will be higher. It was a very close game last year in South Bend when UConn had the best player on the floor and Skylar Diggins shot 5-18. Ms Diggins is now the best player on both teams and it is unlikely she will shoot as miserably this afternoon.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ND 78 UConn 70. I think it could be worse. This is an upperclass laden Irish team that is probably as good as '01. Miss Tuffet will be at her best today. It is going to be a tough tough game. If we play as well as we did at Baylor, we can win. The one thing I don't want to see is a Geno meltdown.....silently chewing his cheek with his arms folded staring at the floor.
No NPOY-caliber player like Ruth Riley. I think the 2001 UConn team, even after the injuries, would annihilate this incarnation of ND.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
yeah he looks bad when he has no answers

Reaction Score
No NPOY-caliber player like Ruth Riley. I think the 2001 UConn team, even after the injuries, would annihilate this incarnation of ND.

I think you're correct. Conversely I think ND's 2001 team would annihilate this incarnation of UConn too.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
75-65 Notre Dame.

If Devereaux Peters stays out of foul trouble, the margin will be higher. It was a very close game last year in South Bend when UConn had the best player on the floor and Skylar Diggins shot 5-18. Ms Diggins is now the best player on both teams and it is unlikely she will shoot as miserably this afternoon.
I doubt Peters will do better than 17-11 and four blocks. And I imagine Bria can do a lot better than 3-9 for seven points. I also imagine we can get more than two points from our bench. You seem to be making an effort to ignore the things that could go much better for UConn this time around.

Reaction Score

That 2001 UConn team was darn good. Although Notre Dame won that semifinal game, I will never be convinced that the better team won.

Ruth Riley was a dominant presence in the middle, however, I do believe that Notre Dame has a NPOY-caliber player in their backcourt this year. In big games, it makes a huge difference.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
71-66 - UConn, Barn burner of a game. No answer for Tiffany, KML...and Bria

Reaction Score
I doubt Peters will do better than 17-11 and four blocks. And I imagine Bria can do a lot better than 3-9 for seven points. I also imagine we can get more than two points from our bench. You seem to be making an effort to ignore the things that could go much better for UConn this time around.

I agree with all that you have said here. I do not expect Ms Peters to score too many points. All Notre Dame needs is for her to be on the floor for significant stretches.

Bria should play better, as you state, and the bench will contribute more than two points for UConn. Try as I might, though, it is hard to find things that could go much better for UConn considering how well they played on the road to gut out a close victory. Kelly Faris shot ten free throws. Will she get to the line more often this afternnon? Stefanie Dolson grabbed nine rebounds. That is good day's work. Can that get much better? Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis will probably hit double figures. Maya Moore, last year in South Bend, was outstanding. If I am ignoring things that could go much better for UConn this time around, it is because they are not blatantly obvious.

Reaction Score
Based on recent games I'm not expecting a win, I would love nothing more than being pleasantly surprised though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom