Score predictions for tomorrows match up? | The Boneyard

Score predictions for tomorrows match up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Reaction Score
Tough to call. This is the first real competition for this young group. I certainly hope that we win and believe that we can. I am going to the game to cheer on the Huskies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I haven't had a chance to see the UCONN freshmen, yet, so it's hard for me to call. I do know that the Ogwumike sisters are going to be a bear of a match-up for a group of young players.

I suspect that one of the O sisters will be chasing Hayes around the entire game. Chiney will probably get that assignment like she did against Moore last year and she proved that she is more than capable of guarding a quality perimeter player. She may force Hayes to drive to the basket more than usual and Hayes already has a tendency to pick up charging fouls.

I don't see UCONN having an answer for Nneka, but like I said, I haven't see the freshmen and their defensive skills. But that is a lot to ask of a freshman and Dolson doesn't seem to have the agility to stop Nneka. Like it was with Moore, it will be hard to double team a player with such great mobility that can hurt you from several places on the floor.

UCONN wins the PG battle and should win the three point shooting battle and will have to shoot well from behind the arc.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The O sisters will do much of the scoring for Stanford and I dont think they will have more then 3 double diget scorers. I think UConns defense/ball pressure will cause problems especially for entry passes. I also dont think Stanford can score more then a max of 65 pts vs UConn and I dont think they can keep UConn below 75pts. UConn 78 Stanford 63

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'm going to say Stanford might have a slight edge, due to the Ogwumike sisters being so good on the glass.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not particularly familiar with either team's entire line-up [last season was wrapped up in moving, didn't see anywhere near the number of games I normally watch]. One thing I am certain of, I agree with the earlier posters - should be a close and exciting game.

I will officially be neutral, as a Rutgers / Big East / Arizona / Pac 12 fan. Go BE! Go Pac12!

Reaction Score
I just have a funny feeling that it is going to be a reverse of last years game and this time Stanford kind of self-destructs. Huskies by 15.

Reaction Score
74-61 Stanford.
Until a big-time, big-game scorer emerges for UConn, the edge goes to Stanford. In four Four Final contests, Nnemkadi Ogwumike averages 23 points and 12 rebounds. That is good enough for me.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to make a prediction, but I think its going to be a very tough game to win, and very close. The team that makes the fewest errors will prevail.

Reaction Score
I'm too lazy right now to look this up: of the recent UConn-Stanford matchups, have any been within 5 points? Seems like one team usually pulls away.

Reaction Score
Uconn 68 Stanford 64. I hope they put a lot of presure on the ball.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I say 73-69 Uconn in a nail biter!!!!

UConn 82. Stanford 72

The Huskies have too many weapons -- way more than they had a year ago.
Stef and Bria are much improved. Tiff is "50% better". Kelly is a bigger scoring threat. CD replaces Lorin Dixon (which is a big gain in scoring potential). Buck is improved. And the freshmen are all pluses. Kia offers improved interior defense and scoring. BB will be a handful for Stanford to contain on offense, and strengthens the defense. And KML adds incredible scoring potential and good defense. (And Buck is improved.)

A year ago, UConn had one useful bench player (Dixon) who offered very little scoring threat. This year, the Huskies have 3 or 4 really good bench players who bring both strong scoring and defensive help. (And a full court press with many well rested legs.)

The Cardinal will be in shock by the eight minute mark.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Heather is so improved that she got two mentions from you. :) I agree. I think Heather will be a real asset this year, especially when additional post D is needed.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Huskies 85 - Trees 72. It's sure not Pacific, but UConn's offense hit a new gear last game that bodes well going forward.

Stanford has a significant speed deficit against UConn and I look for them to play a lot of zone defense to compensate. When they do, their guards will be a half step slow rotating and Kaleena, Bria and CD will make them pay dearly. When they go man, look for Tiff, Bria and BB to smoke their defenders taking it to the hole. In either Stanford defense, Stef's got a size advantage and will be tough to keep out of the low block. I look for her to go off and Chiney to get in foul trouble. Kiah and Heather don't have to win the game, they just have to be tenacious contesting boards every possession. I expect Tiff, Kelly and BB to reek defensive havoc on Stanford's guards (especially their frosh) on the press.

Blow-out possible!

Reaction Score
I'm too lazy right now to look this up: of the recent UConn-Stanford matchups, have any been within 5 points? Seems like one team usually pulls away.

I was right. No games within 5 points. Just 2 within 10 -- the 2010 final (53-47) and 2008 semis (73-82).

12/29/88 ..... L 53-72 A
2/20/93 ...... L 54-68 H
12/28/93 ..... L 75-94 A
4/1/95 ....... W 87-60 N
12/21/97 ..... W 94-78 A
3/27/05....... L 59-76 N
11/22/07 ..... W 66-54 N
4/6/08........ L 73-82 N
4/5/09........ W 83-64 N
12/23/09 ..... W 80-68 H
4/6/10 ....... W 53-47 N
12/10 ........ L 59-71 A

6 Games since 2007:
-- winning team = 72.5
-- losing team = 60.8

Reaction Score
Last year Maya Moore played one of the worst games of her career against Stanford and most everyone else stood around, playing very poorly. This year there's a bigger and better roster of more experienced players and more inside strength with a more experienced Steffi, a much improved Heather and a talented freshman to give minutes to. Meanwhile Stanford has lost two experienced players, one of whom (Polen) had a career day against the Huskies with unbelievable shooting. Then there's the home court advantage! Beyond that, annually has one of the best defenses in the country! Even if the two sisters have great games, that still leaves a lot of points to compensate for the scoring UConn will do. We win 77-58.

Reaction Score
Last year Maya Moore played one of the worst games of her career against Stanford and most everyone else stood around, playing very poorly. This year there's a bigger and better roster of more experienced players and more inside strength with a more experienced Steffi, a much improved Heather and a talented freshman to give minutes to. Meanwhile Stanford has lost two experienced players, one of whom (Polen) had a career day against the Huskies with unbelievable shooting. Then there's the home court advantage! Beyond that, annually has one of the best defenses in the country! Even if the two sisters have great games, that still leaves a lot of points to compensate for the scoring UConn will do. We win 77-58.
What I meant to say is that year in and year out UConn has one of the most difficult defenses in America to play against. I can't see Stanford putting a lot of points on the board, particularly on the perimeter. That leaves an awful lot of pressure on the sisters to convert again and again and unless the game is called with a lot of silly touch fouls, there is no question we win handily.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Both teams lost exceptional players to graduation. Both teams still have question marks as to who steps up to fill the voids left.

Stanford has Nneka and Chiney and they will be a handful to defend. Nneka will get her points but can the others, especially the guards, deliver the points. Their guards are not as experienced and not that fast or quick. Bench play seems weak but time will tell. Stanford has a lot of height.

Uconn returns Stef, Bria, Tiff and Kelly. Add in Caroline back at the point plus Brianna and Kaleena - we have the advantage at guard in terms of speed, quickness and shooting ability. Our guards can hit the three or drive the lane and Tiff and Brianna are left handed which always messes with their opponents.

We are not thin in the post this year. Stef at 6' 5" is going to be difficult to handled if she gets position down low. Add her passing ability from the top of the key and her jump shot add for more weapons. Kia needs to play defense and rebound - any scoring will be a plus. Heather, if she plays like she has so far, can give some needed defense and rebounding to spell either Stef or Kia.

Coaching edge goes to Geno.

Uconn wins 82 - 71.

And I hope the place is rockin' tonight!!!!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I love seeing predictions with UConn scoring in the 80's... I agree!

81-69 UConn

if Stef gets 2 fouls in the 1st 10 minutes UConn will lose 79-70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member