Scoop Jackson: Playground legends no more | The Boneyard

Scoop Jackson: Playground legends no more

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I mentioned this article in another thread. Gone are the days when the top college coaches trolled the playgrounds for top prospects.

"So thanks, AAU. Thanks for contributing and/or being an accessory to killing a part of basketball that was as much a part of its soul as acting is to theater's."

LINK

Reaction Score
Yeah...different time and place....I loved this book as a kid....

http://www.amazon.com/The-City-Game-Basketball-Playgrounds/dp/0803259344

We used to (try to) dye our t-shirts Marquette colors because of the nyc connection and we were just as much fans of the University of South Carolina as we were of St. Johns, Manhattan and Fordham for the same reason. We knew about these players before they went to college because we heard of them and sometimes saw them from the playground. Of course as the book details...not everybody made it.

Win...keep playing....lose....you sit...lol.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
playground scouting is over... too many shady characters. Coaches want to see these players perform in organized and structured enviroments.

ahhh the good ol' days of playing a game of "21"

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
playground scouting is over... too many shady characters. Coaches want to see these players perform in organized and structured enviroments.

ahhh the good ol' days of playing a game of "21"

Make-it, take-it

:cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
8-10 awkward scrawny teenagers piled in the paint going for a rebound... geesh that was dangerous
Everyone yelling at someone else to guard the guy with the ball.

Reaction Score
8-10 awkward scrawny teenagers piled in the paint going for a rebound... geesh that was dangerous

lol...my brother always said my elbows should be classified as illegal weapons......after he beat the crap outa me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
lol...my brother always said my elbows should be classified as illegal weapons......after he beat the crap outa me.
No blood, no foul.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
playground scouting is over... too many shady characters. Coaches want to see these players

Wait a minute, so coaches prefer AAU in this regard???

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Finally read it. A whole article on playground players, and some not making it big and not one mention of Earl "The Goat" Manigault? Really? Did he even mention Rucker Park? Or did I miss it???

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Finally read it. A whole article on playground players, and some not making it big and not one mention of Earl "The Goat" Manigault? Really? Did he even mention Rucker Park? Or did I miss it???
I didnt read it :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01