Scholarships? | The Boneyard

Scholarships?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Im searching over Uconn commits/recruits. I was wondering if any of you know how many scholarships we will have open for next year? I know this year we had 3 Sr's just graduate and replaced with 1 Scholarship. Next year we have 3 commits with only 2 graduating. I ask this because we dont have any bigs coming in and we lose a couple this year and next year. We have mainly all wing/guards coming in. Anyone with some info care to share please do. Hoping we go after A'ja Wilson she is 6 ft4 with a great game that she said is the same as Stewies. She looks up to her and from the article I read her meeting current Uconn players she was star struck. Thanks alot
GO HUSKIES #BleedBLUE

Reaction Score
Next year...

Sr: KML, Stokes, Banks
Jr: Stewart, Tuck, MoJeff
So: Chong
Fr: Ekmark, Gabby, Sadie, + TBD

Thus, there are 5 more scholarships available. I would guess 1-2 will be used.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Currently there nine players on scholarship with two graduating. With a 15 player scholarship limit, UConn could give out 8 scholarships. That won't happen as Geno usually does not like to have 15 players on scholarship. With the three verbals received I suspect Geno would like to have a class of 5 players with Wilson and Calhoun as the top priority recruits. He might go as high as six scholarships this year if he's able to get the right mixture of players. No way does he go higher then six scholarships for 2014.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Next year...

Why the bold? Starters?

Reaction Score
So now we are predicting starters two years out? Oh my. :eek:
Not that I would disagree with you. ;)
Who do you propose would be the 5th?

Yeah, like I was really going out on the limb with those 4.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
So now we are predicting starters two years out? Oh my. :eek:

Not that I would disagree with you. ;)

Who do you propose would be the 5th?

I'd bet that Stokes will be the 5th regular starter her senior year with Stef's departure, especially since KML's ballhandling will be even further developed from where it is now, which is quite solid; she and Mo will log big minutes as a tandem. (Both Stewie and Tuck are very solid witih the ball outside as well, which will make a MoJeff/KML guard combo even more workable since KML needs to go inside/outside.)

However, with [junior] Tuck and [senior] KML in the lineup, Geno will certainly have the flexibility to go with Stewie in the middle for long stretches when he feels like it, so he can put another guard on the floor. He will have *many* good choices available.... :D

Or you could leave Stokes and Stewie in and sit Tuck when you want an extra guard on the floor. Or..... oh, the possibilities!

Reaction Score
Im searching over Uconn commits/recruits. I was wondering if any of you know how many scholarships we will have open for next year? I know this year we had 3 Sr's just graduate and replaced with 1 Scholarship. Next year we have 3 commits with only 2 graduating. I ask this because we dont have any bigs coming in and we lose a couple this year and next year. We have mainly all wing/guards coming in. Anyone with some info care to share please do. Hoping we go after A'ja Wilson she is 6 ft4 with a great game that she said is the same as Stewies. She looks up to her and from the article I read her meeting current Uconn players she was star struck. Thanks alot
GO HUSKIES #BleedBLUE
Wow, I looked at the number of your posts and I was shocked at some of your questions. It was as if you had been spending the last months on a deserted island if you don't know by multiple posts how heavily we are recruiting A'Ja Wilson. It's been almost beaten into the ground how important a recruit she is to UConn and how much emphasis Geno and company are focusing on Ms Wilson. I'm not trying to offend you but it's just quite surprising considering how active you've been on this site, based on the number of posts you've had.

Reaction Score
Next year...

I doubt he would do it, but I would love to see six in that freshman class and then maybe four the next year.
If we had 6 freshman that would put us at 13 players for the 2014-15 year. Then with three graduating we would be at 10, bring in four we would be at 14. Then when Chong goes we bring in 2 and then we would be at 15 for that one year... but then aim for classes of 3-4 depending on talent level.

This incoming group I would love to see Wilson added, Calhoun, and one of the other bigs we have been reading so much about.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I doubt he would do it, but I would love to see six in that freshman class and then maybe four the next year.
If we had 6 freshman that would put us at 13 players for the 2014-15 year. Then with three graduating we would be at 10, bring in four we would be at 14. Then when Chong goes we bring in 2 and then we would be at 15 for that one year... but then aim for classes of 3-4 depending on talent level.

This incoming group I would love to see Wilson added, Calhoun, and one of the other bigs we have been reading so much about.
Geno really doesn't like 14-15 player rosters unless he has a few real bench warmers - he finds it too difficult to get such a large team minutes - good players need consistent minutes and if starters play 20 minutes minimum and the next five get 15 minutes the remaining 4-5 players are seeing very little time - that is OK for a Jacquie Fernandes kind of player, but is tough on a more talented player with better upside.
For the right players I think he would go to 6 for the 2014 class, but there aren't any true centers in the mix so I think 5 is more likely and then 3 or 4 in 2015 would keep the team in the 12-13 range. I think 2015 has some center prospects as well as Durr and the younger S sister if we can pry her away from Stanford's clutches.

Reaction Score
In reality it's very hard to keep 12-14 top players happy with sufficient number of minutes...IMO a team that consists of 9 really good players + 3 players who accept playing little, is the optimal version...clearly injuries could change that so you do need some insurance in the form of more players....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In reality it's very hard to keep 12-14 top players happy with sufficient number of minutes...IMO a team that consists of 9 really good players + 3 players who accept playing little, is the optimal version...clearly injuries could change that so you do need some insurance in the form of more players....
You really only need to look at box scores of most competitive games to see that Uconn and almost every other team in WCBB have 6-8 players that get minutes and the rest of the bench is only used in situations where fouls have mounted for more than one player. It is basically a starting five, plus a back up guard, forward, and center. Depending on the roster talent that may change a little, but ... that is the standard.

Reaction Score
Only one year can I remember Uconn having 10 really first string players on the roster. In 2000 we had, Bird, Swin, Tamika, Asha, Svet, Shea, Schuey, Paige, Bam-Bam, and KJ.

Reaction Score
You really only need to look at box scores of most competitive games to see that Uconn and almost every other team in WCBB have 6-8 players that get minutes and the rest of the bench is only used in situations where fouls have mounted for more than one player. It is basically a starting five, plus a back up guard, forward, and center. Depending on the roster talent that may change a little, but ... that is the standard.

Actually, I feel that Geno has typically been more conservative with his bench use than others.

His rationale has made sense: if the players are well conditioned, he'd rather have his top 5 on the floor than the 9th or 10th best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom