Schedule next year? | The Boneyard

Schedule next year?

Reaction Score
Hi, is there available a schedule for the women's basketball for upcoming season? I'm wondering if they are playing any California teams (UCLA, Stanford, etc). My in-laws are in San Diego and it might be fun to visit and also go to UConn game if possible (and if can get tickets). Thanks!

Reaction Score
You might start here.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
According to this article, our 2023 schedule is full

Also, I did not know the BE is increasing the OOC schedule by 2 games

With the addition of a Dec. 11 game at Maryland, announced this week as the start of a previously postponed home-and-home series due to the pandemic, the Huskies’ 2022-23 schedule is full. It also includes non-conference games vs. Notre Dame, Texas, South Carolina and Florida State.

“Neal does that,” Auriemma said of Neal Eskin, UConn’s executive associate director of athletics. “He puts the schedule together, runs it by me, ‘You want to play these guys?’ I go, ‘Sure.’ Then that’s the last I hear about it until I see the schedule. I think starting [in 2023-24] when we can add two more non-conference games, it will get to be a lot more interesting. I think that gives us an opportunity to add two more really, really good games.”

Big East coaches have voted to decrease conference games to 18 from 20, allowing for two more non-conference games. Athletic directors must still vote to make it official.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hmmm . . .

“But it’s not as easy as people think to get really, really good games,” Auriemma said. “There are just some coaches in the country that, they talk a big game about what they want to do, what’s best for women’s basketball. But then when they get a call from TV, ‘Hey, we need you to play UConn Saturday night or Sunday afternoon,’ or whenever it’s going to be on national television. ‘I don’t know if I want to do that.’ Well then stop talking about how you’re interested in what’s good for game. Just say you’re interested in what’s good for me. Then everybody will believe you.”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good news going from 20 to 18 Big East games next season. Many of us hoped this would happen when UConn rejoined the Big East. I thought it might take a few seasons to make it happen. This will allow UConn and the other BE schools the opportunity to boost their non-conference schedule. Let's hope they all take advantage of it. We know UConn will.

I'm not certain Anthony is right that the schedule is complete based on my reading of the NCAA's scheduling rules.

Last season the team was scheduled to play 20 BE games and also played in a 3-game tournament in the Bahamas. According to the NCAA rules, that allowed UConn to play 28 games PLUS a multi-team event that does not exceed 3 games, i.e., 11 non-conference games. Last season's schedule included 11 non-conference games with the SC game ultimately cancelled.

For the upcoming season, UConn will be playing in a multi-team event in Oregon that will not exceed 2 games per team. According to the NCAA rules, this allows UConn to play 29 games PLUS the 2-game event in Oregon, i.e., 11 non-conference games for a total of 31 games.

This is the non-conference schedule as we know it which includes 9 games. I think the rule allows 2 more non-conference games.

Home

Texas
South Carolina
NC State

Away

Notre Dame
Tennessee
Maryland

Neutral

Florida State
PK-85 (UConn in bracket with Duke, Iowa and Oregon State)

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good news going from 20 to 18 Big East games next season. Many of us hoped this would happen when UConn rejoined the Big East. I thought it might take a few seasons to make it happen. This will allow UConn and the other BE schools the opportunity to boost their non-conference schedule. Let's hope they all take advantage of it. We know UConn will.

I'm not certain Anthony is right that the schedule is complete based on my reading of the NCAA's scheduling rules.

Last season the team was scheduled to play 20 BE games and also played in a 3-game tournament in the Bahamas. According to the NCAA rules, that allowed UConn to play 28 games PLUS a multi-team event that does not exceed 3 games, i.e., 11 non-conference games. Last season's schedule included 11 non-conference games with the SC game ultimately cancelled.

For the upcoming season, UConn will be playing in a multi-team event in Oregon that will not exceed 2 games per team. According to the NCAA rules, this allows UConn to play 29 games PLUS the 2-game event in Oregon, i.e., 11 non-conference games for a total of 31 games.

This is the non-conference schedule as we know it which includes 9 games. I think the rule allows 2 more non-conference games.

Home

Texas
South Carolina
NC State

Away

Notre Dame
Tennessee
Maryland

Neutral

Florida State
I've assumed the Phil Knight Legacy event meets the criteria for a Qualifying Multi-team event under the NCAA's rules. If it doesn't (there is some ambiguity) then the non-conference schedule set forth above is complete. We'll have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
According to this article, our 2023 schedule is full

Also, I did not know the BE is increasing the OOC schedule by 2 games

With the addition of a Dec. 11 game at Maryland, announced this week as the start of a previously postponed home-and-home series due to the pandemic, the Huskies’ 2022-23 schedule is full. It also includes non-conference games vs. Notre Dame, Texas, South Carolina and Florida State.

“Neal does that,” Auriemma said of Neal Eskin, UConn’s executive associate director of athletics. “He puts the schedule together, runs it by me, ‘You want to play these guys?’ I go, ‘Sure.’ Then that’s the last I hear about it until I see the schedule. I think starting [in 2023-24] when we can add two more non-conference games, it will get to be a lot more interesting. I think that gives us an opportunity to add two more really, really good games.”

Big East coaches have voted to decrease conference games to 18 from 20, allowing for two more non-conference games. Athletic directors must still vote to make it official.
I hope that's for women's basketball only. I'm afraid the men will schedule two games vs lower level teams instead of good teams. Women more likely to play good teams.

Reaction Score
Eliminating two BE games sounds ok given the present quality of some of the less successful teams in the conference. But things change (see Creighton, Villanova) so cutting out games against last season’s mediocre squads won’t always lead to a more competitive schedule. We have great rivalries with programs like Tennessee, Notre Dame and, now, South Carolina.
Seeing some more interesting matchups within the BE could only make things better for everyone.
As much as seeing the Huskies win BE title after title and BE tournament after tournament might be gratifying and fun, seeing some more nailbiters within the conference, IMHO, would spice things up and would prevent looking too far ahead and malaise.
The ONLY good thing about the loss to Villanova was the stimulating effect it SEEMED to have on the admittedly hurting and short handed squad.

Reaction Score
I'd like to eliminate 2 more Big East games, but this is a good first step.

Reaction Score

Home

Texas
South Carolina
NC State

Away

Notre Dame
Tennessee
Maryland

Neutral

Florida State
I agree with your assessment of the total games. As it stands the 9 nonconference plus 20 conference games plus the 3 BE tourney games plus 6 NCAA games (to the Championship game) would make 38 games.

The exceptions should get UCONN to 40 games, normal years would be 39 games.

Regardless of the total games UCONN plays this year, Geno needs seven more wins than Tara this year... Go AZ, UCLA, Oregon, etc. beat Stanford! One can dream.... :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom