SCar v Stanford-who do you WANT to win? | The Boneyard

SCar v Stanford-who do you WANT to win?

Do you want SCar or Stanford to win tonight?

• South Carolina

Votes: 32 22.4%
  • Stanford

Votes: 111 77.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
People have tried to predict who will win, but who do you want to win?
On one hand, our team hasn't beaten Stanford this year, so a possible match would be fun. Of course we root for Karlie when not playing us. OTOH, SCar has done a great job winning without Coates. From a UConn perspective, they know the team and know they can beat them.

Yet I don't want endless Sammuelson comparisons if it is Stanford and views of the family while the game is going on. More importantly. Stanford seems better able to make UConn play ugly. Scares me bit more.
If UConn faces SCar, they have a built-in excuse with the injury. And it would stink to lose to them!

Of course my preferences are heavily weighted by how it will affect UConn if (mojo gods) they meet the winner.

Reaction Score
I do not want the drama of "the sisters" interfering with the championship game should we beat Mississippi State. I think Lou will be distracted especially since her sister is a senior w/her one chance at a championship before she graduates.

Reaction Score
I love being the only team to win men and women in the same year and want to remove South Carolina from that possibility immediately.

Think of the story line that Stanford adds with the Sisters and them having the possibility to bookend our winning streak and end 2 long UConn streaks and stop the run towards 200.

Reaction Score
Massey has UConn as 10-point favorites against both teams, with an 83% chance of beating Stanford and an 82% chance of beating South Carolina. (Sagarin has UConn with a 14-point advantage over Stanford and an 11-point advantage over SC.) Despite the marginally better chances against Stanford, I would prefer that UConn play South Carolina to avoid having Lou play against her older sister. I think that there is a possibility that it could detract from Lou's game, not to mention the endless shots of her father and family. But, first things first with a victory tonight.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford. I want to assure the Samuelson family of at least one winning daughter. Right now they are assured of at least one daughter to lose, I dont want it to be two. The above is assuming UConn beats MSU.

Reaction Score
USC already had their chance. If Stanford beats USC, it means that the latter aren't the best team anyway.

UConn/Stanford would be a match-up between the two best coaches. And would be a better game to watch.

Lets be honest, the Samuelson thing would draw the most interest in women's college basketball since the UConn/Tenn series ended.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Massey has UConn as 10-point favorites against both teams, with an 83% chance of beating Stanford and an 82% chance of beating South Carolina. (Sagarin has UConn with a 14-point advantage over Stanford and an 11-point advantage over SC.) Despite the marginally better chances against Stanford, I would prefer that UConn play South Carolina to avoid having Lou play against her older sister. I think that there is a possibility that it could detract from Lou's game, not to mention the endless shots of her father and family. But, first things first with a victory tonight.

Like UConn, Massey & Saragin are both undefeated this season predicting UConn match ups. The trifecta of Doris Burke, Kara Lawson and our own Rebecca Lobo, all like UConn BIG time. Massey & Saragin like UConn BIG time, so we've got nothing to worry about. I'd like to see Stanford in the finals for a lot of reasons, least of which is a chance at R-E-D-E-M-P-T-I-O-N.

I ask you, what could make all of the hard work this season of learning the system (for the newbies), suffering through body aches and discomfort, enduring 6 months of Geno yelling at you at every practice, telling you you couldn't guard a chair, :eek: losing your shooting rhythm and having to search everywhere for it, endure long road trips, sleeping on buses and airplanes, eating some of your meals out of a bag, sweeter, more rewarding and more memorable than winning the NC, and knocking off the Stanford Cardinal (the last team to beat you) all at the same time?

It just doesn't get any better than that!! Beating USC wouldn't be the same as beating Stanford. If that were to happen, we'd all be walking around town happy go-lucky, doing a jig, and grinning like the Joker for a week. :D Time to release the Kracken. Go Huskies!!!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I love the sister vs sister drama. More importantly I feel the Huskies matchup better with the Cardinal, so I've got to go with Stanford.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think these last two games of the season are going to be the best games of the year for us. All of WCBB will be watching these two games tonight.

A noteworthy WCBB analyst said yesterday that UConn ALWAYS plays its best basketball in the BIG games. Let's hope that's the case tonight. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Really, really tough call.

On paper, SC looks like the better team even with the injury to Coates (maybe some Ewing Theory there), but Stanford has been this program's personal house of horrors: FF loss in 2008, nightmare first half in the finals in 2010 (though we eventually turned it around), streak busted in 2010, streak curtailed in 2014. South Carolina has never beaten us and still has that monkey on their back.

Stanford also has a style that lends itself to upsets -- if they get hot from outside like against ND, we could be in trouble.

For South Carolina to beat us, Wilson would both need to get Collier and/or Williams in foul trouble, and also get help from shooters on the perimeter.

On the other hand, as Geno has said, he'd rather face a team that we haven't already played this year. Stanford hasn't seen this UConn team before. South Carolina just saw us, and played us fairly close, 2 months ago.

I think I'm leaning slightly towards rooting for SC.

Reaction Score
I want both of them and Miss.St. to lose,and they all will when Uconn wins number 12.

Reaction Score
If we win against MS I prefer Stanford. It's a team we didn't play for 2 years and will be a more compelling game with all kind of interesting story lines (the sisters, the last team that beat UConn, etc). I do think Stanford will probably be a harder opponent for the final becouse of the potential distraction to Lou and that IMO Tara is a better coach than Dawn...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
South Carolina, I think Staley isn't on the same level as Tara as a tactician.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
South Carolina.

I would like to see Dawn Staley win a championship, after being denied one as a player.

I don't like Stanford or their coach.

Don't care to hear about any of that sister vs sister match up. If that happens. Would probably have to watch the finals on mute.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
South Carolina.

I would like to see Dawn Staley win a championship, after being denied one as a player.

Don't care to hear about any of that sister vs sister match up. If that happens. Would probably have to watch the finals on mute.
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Head bang

Reaction Score
South Carolina.

You are rooting against UCONN???? That is a no no on this board!

Reaction Score
Staley's never won anything other than Olympic medals?

Reaction Score
Voted South Carolina. People voting to face Stanford are nuts and have short memories. At least with South Carolina we've actually been successful and the matchup is Wilson plus a bunch of inconsistent guards/forwards. Would much rather face that than a Tara coached team that will be full of players banking in 3s from NBA range. Plus we'd have one of our starters that "wouldn't know what she would do" if she had to play against her sister.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Voted South Carolina. People voting to face Stanford are nuts and have short memories. At least with South Carolina we've actually been successful and the matchup is Wilson plus a bunch of inconsistent guards/forwards. Would much rather face that than a Tara coached team that will be full of players banking in 3s from NBA range. Plus we'd have one of our starters that "wouldn't know what she would do" if she had to play against her sister.

She's been saying that, but when the ball goes up, I'm sure she'll have her focus where it needs to be, otherwise, Geno will yank her out of the game in a heartbeat.

If he has to do that, I'll bet she'll find her focus real quick sitting on the bench. :confused: No doubt the coaches have mentioned that to her several times already. She can't let her teammates down just because her sister is also on the floor. Tora tora tora!!! :mad: They can kiss and make up after the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom