SC Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

SC Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the SC game:
  • Round 1 is in the books and while it’s clear that UConn is not quite at SC’s level yet. I will remind BY naysayers that in his 37 years as UConn’s HC, Geno’s teams always improve as the season progresses. Round 2 – January 27 – Columbia, SC.
  • This was a really competitive game between two great teams for 3 qtrs. The Huskies lost their poise in the 4th qtr and SC finished strong.
  • Paige wasting no time today, looking for her shot from the very start of the game, as well as dropping several beautiful dimes when SC rotated a second defender to stop her penetration.
  • Evina started off strong as well but faded some as the game went on, before reappearing again in the 4th qtr.
  • Liv’s 1st qtr was as good as I have ever seen her play, and she played well throughout the game. She needs more help from Aaliyah and Dorka.
  • SC crashing the offensive boards in waves reminds me so much of Pat Summit’s Lady Vols in their heyday. Ultimately UConn was unable to overcome SC's rebounding advantage.
  • Interesting time for Mir to get her first PT of the season. Obviously, those minutes would have been Aubrey’s minutes if she were healthy.
  • The refs clearly made a conscious decision to swallow their whistles today, particularly on charging calls.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a beatdown. That 4th quarter was brutal.

Q1 was great and then it got worse and worse as the game went along. 3 points in Q4? Might as well have put in the entire bench for that kind of offensive performance.

Would not be surprised to see us drop to 4 or 5 in the rankings. Was hoping to keep the loss to under 10. No such luck. This team needs a LOT of work. Paige is incredible. But she needs 4 other players to give complete performances as well.

When was the last time we lost a quarter by 13 points? Disappointed obviously, but more-so with the the Q4 performance rather than the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Competitive for 3 quarters is nice, but it does not win basketball games. Defense and rebounding will definitely be worked on by Geno and co. Everybody needs to be a scoring threat from at least 10-15 feet, too.

Reaction Score
If you're going to get run out of the gym now is the time of the season to have it happen. It's so early and so many things will change between now and later on. There are various issues with the team right now, and that should be expected. Geno has to keep finding the right mix of players in the game and finding the bench players that can really help against an elite team like they played today.

Having AE step up her game wouldn't hurt either.

On to the next game...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
EFC2F473-4871-4663-901C-8E10CF57AD91.jpeg

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
4th quarter beat-down was very disappointing....but.showed enough that if we play well we can beat them.

Geno said the only way Azzi can be stopped if she stops herself. Reason #2: if she is on the bench due to coach's decision.

Ono plays like this...she is more than good enough to be a big factor in April.

SC has beasts inside...their three ball shooting surprised me.

Reaction Score
By no means was this a difference in the game, but I felt that there was a big swing to SC after the ticky-tack call against Paige "pushing off." I wish that they didn't quit in the last 2 minutes...just play hard for the whole game. Rebounding?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom