SBN's Bill Connelly: It’s Year 0.5 for Randy Edsall at UConn | The Boneyard

SBN's Bill Connelly: It’s Year 0.5 for Randy Edsall at UConn

Reaction Score
It’s Year 0.5 for Randy Edsall at UConn

Tons of info in full article - Connelly does one of the deepest dives of anyone when reviewing teams (and often it's not what some people are going to want to hear/believe here - but is usually point on baring unforeseen developments - both positive and negative):

>>Five key points:
  1. 2018 might only be slightly better. The Huskies will undergo another youth movement while Edsall figures out which pieces go where.
  2. Defensive coordinator Billy Crocker couldn’t overcome a young, banged-up secondary. Now he has to rebuild the front seven.
  3. The good news: the sophomore class is loaded with linebackers and DBs who could end up excellent ... in 2019 or 2020.
  4. The offense boasts its share of sophomore talent as well, though senior David Pindell will likely end up the starter behind center. His rapport with a new OC will dictate the Huskies’ point total.
  5. S&P+ projects UConn as the favorite in only one game and projects about three wins overall. Edsall’s building for 2019 and beyond.
The chess pieces aren’t yet where they need to be. But with sophomores and juniors playing key roles in basically every position unit sans quarterback (which will likely be starting a senior for the second straight year), we’ll get a pretty clear view of what UConn might be capable of in 2019 and beyond.<<

>>S&P+ basically sees what I see here: UConn is still probably a year away from true competitiveness. And that’s fine — Edsall’s taking his time. He didn’t load up on JUCOs and transfers; he’s rebuilding the depth chart with five-year recruits, and most of last year’s most intriguing players are now sophomores. That means a clear path forward for 2019 and beyond.,,

Reaction Score
4-5 year process; years 3-5 more experienced guys ideally fighting to keep jobs with potentially more talented, less experienced newbies; not so different than RE1.0.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Spot on. I wish the “scheme” harpies would finally let it sink in that a 4-3 doesn’t make our freshman/sophs more experienced, more athletic, doesn’t make them better tacklers. It’s a multi-year rebuild on that side of the ball with no quick fixes.

Reaction Score
5. S&P+ projects UConn as the favorite in only one game and projects about three wins overall. Edsall’s building for 2019 and beyond.
May we assume this is URI or is it someone else?

Reaction Score
I am super upset that Lashlee left and I wasn't over impressed with Pindell last year. I am intersted to see if the offense can score points and if the defense can figure out this 3-3-5 that I am not used to watching. I am not sure how much the fan base can handle more rebuilding to be honest. Those folks who can actually attend the games in CT haven't really showed up the last year and we need some progress. I was hoping for 5-7 but being realistic I can agree with 3-9.

Reaction Score
Spot on. I wish the “scheme” harpies would finally let it sink in that a 4-3 doesn’t make our freshman/sophs more experienced, more athletic, doesn’t make them better tacklers. It’s a multi-year rebuild on that side of the ball with no quick fixes.

Well, I guess that decides it. It has nothing to do with a 3 front and 5 DBs spread all over the field forced to make run reads and one on one iso tackles from 12 yards off the LOS while the LBs are stretched side line to side line with no outside contain leverage. It has nothing to do with getting zero pressure on the QB with a 3 man rush and getting picked apart. Brilliant scheme for a base D with kids who cant tackle in the open field and don't know how to take angles. You cant be dead last in D and claim its all the kids' fault. No way.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Well, I guess that decides it. It has nothing to do with a 3 front and 5 DBs spread all over the field forced to make run reads and one on one iso tackles from 12 yards off the LOS while the LBs are stretched side line to side line with no outside contain leverage. It has nothing to do with getting zero pressure on the QB with a 3 man rush and getting picked apart. Brilliant scheme for a base D with kids who cant tackle in the open field and don't know how to take angles. You cant be dead last in D and claim its all the kids' fault. No way.
If we switched to a 4-3 we’d have been a poorly ranked 4-3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It’s Year 0.5 for Randy Edsall at UConn

Tons of info in full article - Connelly does one of the deepest dives of anyone when reviewing teams (and often it's not what some people are going to want to hear/believe here - but is usually point on baring unforeseen developments - both positive and negative):

>>Five key points:
  1. 2018 might only be slightly better. The Huskies will undergo another youth movement while Edsall figures out which pieces go where.
  2. Defensive coordinator Billy Crocker couldn’t overcome a young, banged-up secondary. Now he has to rebuild the front seven.
  3. The good news: the sophomore class is loaded with linebackers and DBs who could end up excellent ... in 2019 or 2020.
  4. The offense boasts its share of sophomore talent as well, though senior David Pindell will likely end up the starter behind center. His rapport with a new OC will dictate the Huskies’ point total.
The chess pieces aren’t yet where they need to be. But with sophomores and juniors playing key roles in basically every position unit sans quarterback (which will likely be starting a senior for the second straight year), we’ll get a pretty clear view of what UConn might be capable of in 2019 and beyond.<<

>>S&P+ basically sees what I see here: UConn is still probably a year away from true competitiveness. And that’s fine — Edsall’s taking his time. He didn’t load up on JUCOs and transfers; he’s rebuilding the depth chart with five-year recruits, and most of last year’s most intriguing players are now sophomores. That means a clear path forward for 2019 and beyond.,,

I tend to agree with this. In the past I've used the schedule to justify bowl hopes. The cupboard is bare of upperclassmen.

Reaction Score
Everyone knows that the Defense has been bad for years. The statistics were the worst last year. But honestly I've grown to hate the third down siren over the last few years. It usually means we are about to have our hearts broken. Four years ago watched Navy convert about 30 of them. They haven't really stopped anyone in a while. This past year, despite the bad stats, there were a few (Cincinnati for one). So to me, the real test is can they get the offense back on the field when they need to? Good teams, that might not have great stats (Patriots come to mind) find away to get stops when it is most important to get them.

Diaco's defense got worse each year as he brought in his RKGs. They were ok with the PP guys.

Reaction Score
I think our biggest issue was our absolute lack of speed off the edge. And I am not sure we have answers here yet. Our 3 down lineman did fine in the run game (people here tend to knock the dline, but our linebacker situation was far, far worse) but when it came time to get pressure? Yikes.

You pressure the qb it takes pressure off the secondary as they are required to cover for less time and the throw might be off.

That is what I am watching for this season. Will someone emerge as a pass rusher? And will Crocker get more creative with who he blitzes?

I see a defense with some players ready to break out. But I also see a defense with some gaping holes. It’s going to be ugly. I’m just going to focus on progress.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
As long as we don't have a game like Navy in 2016, I'm ok. I still have emotional scars from that one.

Actually, the Cincinnati game from 2017 was also psychologically damaging ...

This isn't easy.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The defense will be more agressive this coming year which will help the defensive line which will be the weak spot unless a freshman or two steps up, which can't be counted on

Reaction Score
Aggressiveness can help the pass rush a bit but it’s not going to help in the run game.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Bill Connelly, one of the most successful folks in CFB writing, just wrote several thousand words on us and did not once wonder about the 3-3-5. We link the article, BY immediately blames everything on scheme despite the guy who knows more than us never questioning it. I wonder who is wrong...

Reaction Score
I think the biggest problem was talent. When you recruit 1aa players who are weak and slow the problems on the defensive side are going to really show up. Offense can cover up more with schemes and systems as long as they are the correct ones and you have a few linemen. Add to that the wrong mix of players, we had 4-3 1aa talent, and the disaster is entirely predictable. I think you’ll see at least some improvement going forward but 4-7 is my high. 5 wins and Edsall deserves a parade. A bowl game and it doesn’t matter who wins the election in November. Edsall should be named governor by acclamation. But I do think that there will come s season where there will be a huge jump. This just ain’t it.

Reaction Score
Not only blame the scheme, but argue profusely that had we gone to a 4-3, we’d have finished 4-8!

The HC has declared he believes the program will be best served over long-term by moving to a 3-3-5. That same man has said countless times over a decade here that he will not sacrifice the LT good of the program for a few feel good shortcuts. He has proven he can build a program from scratch. But hey, let’s have our version of the dude explain to us from his moms basement why the scheme and current personnel are a bad fit.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest problem was talent. When you recruit 1aa players who are weak and slow the problems on the defensive side are going to really show up. Offense can cover up more with schemes and systems as long as they are the correct ones and you have a few linemen. Add to that the wrong mix of players, we had 4-3 1aa talent, and the disaster is entirely predictable. I think you’ll see at least some improvement going forward but 4-7 is my high. 5 wins and Edsall deserves a parade. A bowl game and it doesn’t matter who wins the election in November. Edsall should be named governor by acclamation. But I do think that there will come s season where there will be a huge jump. This just ain’t it.

If elected, can he pardon his son from the 3-ring circus that is the ethics panel?

Reaction Score
Conceptually with where the game is going now I like the 3-3-5. When teams ran the ball most of the time not so much. And I think a Donald Brown would lick his chops if he went against it. He might gain 500 yards a game, but in qb era when 40-50 passes a game isn’t considered unusual, using an extra snack in your base D makes some sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom