SB Nation: Experience key to UConn's second year in Hockey East | The Boneyard

SB Nation: Experience key to UConn's second year in Hockey East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Glad to hear the style of play will start to evolve with the influx of talent. My biggest pet peeve was the time spent in the defensive zone, especially against Merrimack and Maine. Of course, this style of play led to the team wearing down during the stretch and even had Nichols admit he was mentally worn down because of it. It also led to the woeful scoring output.

Some of my questions coming into the season:

1. How long will it take Nichols to reach the level he was playing at last season following the double hip surgeries? How many minutes will Cav expect Nichols to play this year, especially early on? Will we see more use of Thulin and/or Creel this season, especially during Hockey East play?

2. Which sophomores will have the biggest production increases over last year? The team scored a league low 66 goals last year which was 15 goals behind the 11th place team (10 of 12 teams scored 99 or more). How big of a step the team makes in moving toward the century mark will be determined by the scoring output of the sophomores. Ojantakanen is key because he will in all likelihood be a center on one line and his improved ability to create will in turn create opportunities for his line. Schwartz and Wight are two others to watch to see how much they have improved. Schwartz had 57 points in 48 games in the BCHL and Wight was a point per game in the BCHL but had little offensive output their freshmen years. What they bring to the table offensively will be interesting to see.

3. How much offensive production will the freshmen provide? Letunov and Thompson are the two big names brought in this season upfront. Letunov is the playmaking center this team needed last year. He will be a force in this league eventually but he still needs to put more lbs on his frame as he is 6'4", 170 lbs. However, his ability to create and make plays will help him to overcome his weight. Thompson is a power forward type but how will his game play his freshman year without the weight on his frame to play his game against older, stronger players.

4. How will Gendron and Masonius adapt to the faster and stronger forwards of the college game? Gendron has the ability to be a stud defenseman in this league. He is also going to bring the ability to move the puck up the ice which the team desperately needed last year from their defensemen. Masonius will also be a solid contributor on the blue line this season. However, they are still lacking the strength and speed of the older, more developed players in the league. It will be interesting to see how they combat their weaknesses against the talented forwards this league has.

5. How will the power play look? The power play was a disaster last season. UConn scored only 10.5% of the time which was 55 out 59 schools. The power play has no where to go but up. However, which players will emerge to play on the power play? Will Letunov get a chance from day 1? Will Gendron or Masonius get a chance to quarterback it early on? It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Reaction Score
I'm scared Nichols is going to try and come back too fast. He played hurt since the PC game at home it seems like last season. I hope he doesn't get hurt getting back to game ready without the strength/agility/movement he needs. He needs TIME.
I have no clue what I'm talking about, but no Huntsville, 1 period for queens exhibition, and not a full game for ASU. Be game ready, but not overworked so he's prepared for 1st HE game against BU 0n the road.

Reaction Score
He probably won't really be full strength until around January. I have been told it takes almost 14 months to fully heal..and that is from guys playing 2-4 games per week in high level (former college/pro) rec hockey leagues. I'd rather see us flounder early and let Thulin or Creel play a ton of minutes...then get Nichols back for a push at the end of the season than see him come back too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom