Greg Swaim says Rutgers and Louisville invited to Big 12 by June; tv wants Rutgers | The Boneyard

Greg Swaim says Rutgers and Louisville invited to Big 12 by June; tv wants Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Swaim has real sources and real guests on his radio show. Who knows if he is right on this one, as he has been wrong as often as he has been right.

But there definitely is some smoke to Rutgers to the Big 12. The FOIA emails released by Oklahoma and its President David Boren definitely showed that Rutgers' AD and Boren have some kind of relationship. The email exchange released evidenced an on-going dialog.

I have no doubt that Boren would want Rutgers for its market and its academics. But as we've seen, the OU/Texas dispute has many facets to it.

http://twitter.com/gswaim

Reaction Score
Swaim has real sources and real guests on his radio show. Who knows if he is right on this one, as he has been wrong as often as he has been right.

But there definitely is some smoke to Rutgers to the Big 12. The FOIA emails released by Oklahoma and its President David Boren definitely showed that Rutgers' AD and Boren have some kind of relationship. The email exchange released evidenced an on-going dialog.

I have no doubt that Boren would want Rutgers for its market and its academics. But as we've seen, the OU/Texas dispute has many facets to it.

http://twitter.com/gswaim

No way. It doesn't make sense on any level unless they invite UCONN, USF and Cincy. You need 2 divisions to make it work. You don't take Rutgers alone to get New York.

Reaction Score
No way. It doesn't make sense on any level unless they invite UCONN, USF and Cincy. You need 2 divisions to make it work. You don't take Rutgers alone to get New York.
But I'm not sure these guys completely understand that. Remember how BC was going to bring the Boston market to the ACC? I think the guys who analyze these deals sometime miss the big picture.

Reaction Score
then why not invite them right now to get the 27 month clock going because now you would be looking at 2015 before they joined and by then we'll all be speaking Chinese.

Reaction Score
The only time you leave the Big East is as of June 30 of any year, and you need to have given notice 27 months before said June 30. So there is no rush. Anyone who gives notice now doesn't leave until the same time that anyone who gives notice through March 31 of 2012 does -- June 30, 2014.

Reaction Score
It is just a Big East destabilization tactic. Hopefully, the Big East and its target programs understand what is going on. The B12 is still in trouble and the NBE can outlive it if they play it smart. The NBE is a pretty decent conference and will make good money for its members.

Reaction Score

WVU replaces Missouri and that gets the Big 12 to 10 teams. If they want a playoff game they need 12 so they add Rutgers and Louisville. Any more teams are just more mouths to feed and likely not as much added TV money as two additional teams would get in full shares.

Rutgers gets the Big 12 NYC by virtue of having Rutgers playing Texas, etc. at the Meadowlands. The Rutgers fans will show up but the game will draw a big crowd because of UT and the other name schools of the Big 12 when they come to New jersey.

Reaction Score
then why not invite them right now to get the 27 month clock going because now you would be looking at 2015 before they joined and by then we'll all be speaking Chinese.

It's my understanding that the waiting period is 27 months plus the departure date can occur no sooner than June of the departure year.

Reaction Score
It makes no sense for RU. Whatever revenue they get will be lost in travel (and, no I am not referring to the helicopter for GS). besides, aren't they the jewel the B10 covets - i recall hearing that last year.

Reaction Score
The ACC could screw up that plan by inviting Rutgers, but they'd have to know that ND was coming too or "bite the bullet" and invite UConn as well.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If you go by Nick Silver's NYT analysis then Rutgers is the most desirable Northern team left (excluding the Irish) followed by UConn.

Cincy is C-USA audience all the way and no one in Ohio would ditch the BiG for the B12 Channel. It will not happen. A BE channel would struggle in Ohio for the same reasons. Xavier splits the BBall market with Cincy. Cincy is ugly from a media standpoint.

Jersey, OTOH, would ditch the other College Ball channels for the B12 as the default state footprint channel. Jersey's population is well documented. That's a coup for the network that grabs Rutgers if they get the 70 cents a subscriber per month as expected. Put it this way--it blows away Cincy as an option.

Look at the bright side: that takes care of the redundant market in Jersey threatening Seton Hall's BE existence.

Lousville makes sense given its long SOUTHERN history more so than its media presence in Kentucky.

Reaction Score
B12 has a TV deal with FOX through 2025 for only 10 members. Any member they add now will get them less dollars per team. If Texas does not want a championship game, why would they go to 12 now? If they do want 12, they better get it done before BE settles in with a new TV deal.

I agree with others, it makes no sense to go to the Bevo conference unless RU got no other options.

Reaction Score
The 10/12 member debate is an OU/UT debate. Most Big 12 members want it because of stabilitt issues. But UT for now doesn't.

The Cincy analysis above is sound. Rutgers beats Cincy. However, the Silver/NYT's google "analysis" is meaningless.

These types of scenarios must be thoroughly disconcerting to Navy. UConn and Rutgers are the only northeast teams left in the Big East.

For UConn, such a move is positive as it reinforces the belief that IF the ACC goes to 16, UConn is in no matter the other invited team. Rutgers has probably been informed their status is much less certain.
'

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that Swaim has reported UConn to the ACC more than once. How did that work out for us?

Reaction Score
The guy has no credibility. Every week he releases a new unsubstantiated rumor.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
there is no way on earth RU brings more money to any league than we would, so that argument is a fail

it's akin to saying Seton Hall is more valuable than Georgetown because of their proximity to NYC

is RU going to start winning? does anyone think NYC jumps on a loser? (besides the Jets?)

:cool:

Reaction Score
Anything may happen in the future and nothing should be dismissed out of hand.

Having said that, any rumor coming from the Big XII should be viewed first and foremost as being put out there because having it out is in the Big XII's interests, and not for its veracity.

Reaction Score
I agree with businesslawyer. At some point a rumor will be true, but the Big XII plays the rumors to their advantage. This word could be put out to further destabalize the Big East, force someone's hand (ND, BYU...) or just to be s. I hope they sent flowers to Providence after taking WVU and asking / allowing them to sue to get out early.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Swaim has real sources and real guests on his radio show.

This line reminded me of Dionne Warwicke. Remember when she did commercials for real psychics?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Anything may happen in the future and nothing should be dismissed out of hand.

Having said that, any rumor coming from the Big XII should be viewed first and foremost as being put out there because having it out is in the Big XII's interests, and not for its veracity.
Describes the B12 in a nutshell.

Reaction Score
Unfortuneately, UCFB does very little in the new york market. Someone posted, I guess within the last month, a summary of where TV eyes in NYC are when it comes to CFB. If I recall correctly, Rutgers was around 20%, UConn around 1%, and Syracuse/Penn State were somewhere between 10-20%.

In a way it makes sence for CFB fans......Rutgers is what?.....30 min outside NYC. It used to take me 90 minutes to commute to the Bronx from Southington. Add about another 20 minutes to get to Hartford and that makes it close to a two hour trip NYC-E. Hartford.

I don't think too many NYC'er's will make that trip........thus the poor capture of that market for FB.

The same could probably be said about the frequency of Bostonians making the trip to E. Hartford for UCFB......not too often, I would guess.

Reluctantly, and with a heavy heart, I could see why Rutgers may appear to bring more to other BCS leagues as they look at expansion.

Reaction Score
Unfortuneately, UCFB does very little in the new york market. Someone posted, I guess within the last month, a summary of where TV eyes in NYC are when it comes to CFB. If I recall correctly, Rutgers was around 20%, UConn around 1%, and Syracuse/Penn State were somewhere between 10-20%.

In a way it makes sence for CFB fans......Rutgers is what?.....30 min outside NYC. It used to take me 90 minutes to commute to the Bronx from Southington. Add about another 20 minutes to get to Hartford and that makes it close to a two hour trip NYC-E. Hartford.

I don't think too many NYC'er's will make that trip........thus the poor capture of that market for FB.

The same could probably be said about the frequency of Bostonians making the trip to E. Hartford for UCFB......not too often, I would guess.

Reluctantly, and with a heavy heart, I could see why Rutgers may appear to bring more to other BCS leagues as they look at expansion.

1. SNY's contract is with UConn, not Rutgers. Is it merely because SNY is stupid? Or is it because UConn, combined hoops and football, gets them more eyeballs than RU combined hoops and football in greater NY?

2. The "study" you're citing found that Rutgers had more fans in the NYC market (including half of NJ and Fairfield County) for football than UConn. I'm sure it does. But UConn was well up on the list (I think about 4th or 5th in NYC), and the real question in any event is how many fans does each program have in total -- not in any one TV viewing area. RU has somewhat more in football and not a fraction in hoops.

I am not doubting that the XII may prefer Rutgers to UConn. But you have overstated the case big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom