Saylor a Freshman ? | The Boneyard

Saylor a Freshman ?

Reaction Score
Why is it that Saylor is listed as a freshman on the UConn roster ? She played in games the 2nd semester last year. Did she not play in enough games for it to count against her eligibility ?

Reaction Score
Why is it that Saylor is listed as a freshman on the UConn roster ? She played in games the 2nd semester last year. Did she not play in enough games for it to count against her eligibility ?

I don’t think it has anything to do with games played. Maybe because she was only enrolled for half the year and needs a full year to be a sophomore.

Reaction Score
So bare with me on this. I would assume that the free year comes after your original 4 years of eligibility aka Super Senior status.

All of last years freshman are listed as sophomores except Saylor

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So bare with me on this. I would assume that the free year comes after your original 4 years of eligibility aka Super Senior status.

There are NCAA eligibility guidelines dealing with such things as credit hours. Saylor does not have enough credit hours to be considered a sophomore. She’s only been around for 1 semester & played in 12 games. It may be the case that after the fall semester she will be reclassified as a sophomore.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Saylor was in the recruiting class with Fudd, DeBerry and Ducharme. She was able to graduate from high school early. Azzi talked about it but in her case it wasn`t doable or feasible.

A handful of others did the same and played in college last year since the Covid rule made it a free year for everyone - there was no downside.

Olivia Miles did so at Notre Dame and is also listed as a Freshman on the ND website.

Saylor has four years of remaining eligibility but so do Edwards, Muhl, Bueckers, Gabriel and McLean. So in that respect, whether she is considered a Freshman or Sophomore does not matter.

The Covid "free year" rule was something I supported but I agree that it does complicate things.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Saylor was in the recruiting class with Fudd, DeBerry and Ducharme. She was able to graduate from high school early. Azzi talked about it but in her case it wasn`t doable or feasible.

Same with DeBerry.

Reaction Score

The free year is indistinguishable from the other four years. Each school is free to list their players in whatever class they want to. In her case, she likely is listed as a freshman because she has not finished a year of college yet.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Please do not complicate things more than they are. Saylor has not been in school for a whole year. She is still taking her 101, 102 courses hence she is a freshman. Also she has 4 years of eligibility.

Reaction Score
Why is it that Saylor is listed as a freshman on the UConn roster ? She played in games the 2nd semester last year. Did she not play in enough games for it to count against her eligib
So this is not hard. Saylor is a Freshman who enrolled early.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Maybe an example from another team will help: Olivia Miles is listed as a Freshman on the Notre Dame roster and she actually started some games last season. Sonia Citron is also listed as a Freshman. She just arrived this season. So due to the Covid rules, Saylor can be a Freshman this season along with Azzi, Caroline and Amari. Has nothing to do with credit hours. It's a Freshman do over.

Reaction Score
Maybe an example from another team will help: Olivia Miles is listed as a Freshman on the Notre Dame roster and she actually started some games last season. Sonia Citron is also listed as a Freshman. She just arrived this season. So due to the Covid rules, Saylor can be a Freshman this season along with Azzi, Caroline and Amari. Has nothing to do with credit hours. It's a Freshman do over.

It has everything to do with credits. ONO is listed as a senior because this is her 4th year of school. And.......... her senior year could be a do over. Games whether starting or not, have nothing to do with it.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
It has everything to do with credits. ONO is listed as a senior because this is her 4th year of school. And.......... her senior year could be a do over. Games whether starting or not, have nothing to do with it.
Respectfully... I may have clouded the issue with the "Starter" example.

However, academic standing in regards to credits can be different than athletic standing. Last year Dorka was listed on the OSU roster as a Jr. but she graduated early and was able to transfer into UConn as a grad student. Covid rules allow her to come back as a grad student next year if she wishes, just as ONO can as a Sr./Grad student. 5 total years of athletic eligibility for everybody.

The same Covid rules apply to Saylor. She is redoing her Fr. year of athletic eligibility. Dollars to donuts and credits aside, she will not be listed as a So. on the roster come January.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom