"Say your prayers" - Providence coach on playing UConn with everyone back | The Boneyard

"Say your prayers" - Providence coach on playing UConn with everyone back

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This probably won't be a popular opinion but I'm leaning towards believing that both St John's and Providence may have waived a white flag too early in the last two UCONN games. This is understandable because that was probably the second to last game of the season for both teams and UCONN is really starting to hit their stride. Understandable but not acceptable IMO.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This probably won't be a popular opinion but I'm leaning towards believing that both St John's and Providence may have waived a white flag too early in the last two UCONN games. This is understandable because that was probably the second to last game of the season for both teams and UCONN is really starting to hit their stride. Understandable but not acceptable IMO.
People are perfectly free to believe whatever they want about the unprovable. nothing like diminishing how sharp UConn looked against a couple of overmatched teams.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
People are perfectly free to believe whatever they want about the unprovable. nothing like diminishing how sharp UConn looked against a couple of overmatched teams.
I don't think it's unprovable that the Providence coach was encouraging his players to pray before the game or did you just accidentally stumble into this thread. When your own coach things your only chance is to resort prayer vs trusting your preparation, this does not exactly inspire the players to play hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: PWS

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't think it's unprovable that the Providence coach was encouraging his players to pray before the game or did you just accidentally stumble into this thread. When your own coach things your only chance is to resort prayer vs trusting your preparation, this does not exactly inspire the players to play hard.
Seriously you should know better than that. Lay you odds he was tongue in cheek and also that Catholic school PC prays before every game even if they are playing The Little Sisters of the Poor . You also should know that the history of Geno’s teams is that when they are in sync they beat overmatched teams to shreds right off the bat whether it’s game one or game 31. As I said, believe what you want but you sure are trying awfully hard to diminish the effort. Try to enjoy it instead of trying to explain it away.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seriously you should know better than that. Lay you odds he was tongue in cheek and also that Catholic school PC prays before every game even if they are playing The Little Sisters of the Poor . You also should know that the history of Geno’s teams is that when they are in sync they beat overmatched teams to shreds right off the bat whether it’s game one or game 31. As I said, believe what you want but you sure are trying awfully hard to diminish the effort. Try to enjoy it instead of trying to explain it away.
:DWell... Providence is a Catholic institution so chances are prayers are conducted on the regular. Providence WBB also played UCONN earlier in the season and put up a stiff fight so I'm not sure why prayers was a first resort before this game. I have not written anything that would diminish the effort of the UCONN team. I enjoyed the performance very much and have written this. To be acutely clear, IMO both St. John and Providence quit and did not played as hard as they could/should have. The Providence and St. John effort had nothing to do with the STELLAR UCONN effort in those games.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
:DWell... Providence is a Catholic institution so chances are prayers are conducted on the regular. Providence WBB also played UCONN earlier in the season and put up a stiff fight so I'm not sure why prayers was a first resort before this game. I have not written anything that would diminish the effort of the UCONN team. I enjoyed the performance very much and have written this. To be acutely clear, IMO both St. John and Providence quit and did not played as hard as they could/should have. The Providence and St. John effort had nothing to do with the STELLAR UCONN effort in those games.
I’m also sure you know that this UConn group isn’t the same that played both those teams before this year. Maybe they were praying that the team they played before would be coming out of the locker room. But I’m glad you enjoyed the show as did all of us UConn nuts. I’m not predicting a championship but I do expect us to give any team a run for their money.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't disagree about giving up. As for Prov. defense, it's ranked 83rd by Massey, ahead of a longish list of P-5 schools. Ark, MSSt. Missouri and TAMU are on that list. Teams play hot and cold game to game and Prov was cold but UConn usually gets a team's best effort so I'll take the win for what it is.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I am guessing that is more coach schtick for press consumption. I doubt that was said to the players although I suppose when you say " I want to see you compete for 40 minutes", it is a subtle form of desperation,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom