OT: Say, Meyers (and other pop music fans) | The Boneyard

OT: Say, Meyers (and other pop music fans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I've long wondered about the exclusion of the Moody Blues from the R&R Hall of Fame. My local newspaper music columnist has no clue. Could it be some hushed-up scandal among Moody members.? A personal vendetta by one or more voting members of the Hall? You guys got any inside info or hypotheses?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Found this on the Net:

“No major band has so relentlessly purveyed nonsense…were it not for their titanic success, in fact, they might easily be dismissed as an odd and overlong joke…it’s the artiness of their symphonic rock that’s truly crass, their self-importance offensive. Gods of 70s FM radio, they invented a sort of easy-listening psychedelia that resolutely combined the worst of both worlds.”

"So wrote Paul Evans in the fourth edition of “The Rolling Stone Album Guide,” which then proceeded to rate the band’s big seven albums, the first getting a respectable three stars, the next six getting one and one-half stars, except for one which got just one star. The rating guide lists one star as “DISASTROUS: Albums in the range of one star or less are wastes of vital resources. Only masochists and completists need apply.”

"Folks, now you know why the Moody Blues are not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame."

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I'm aware of such criticisms, and I agree that a lot of their stuff is forgetable, yet it could apply to other acts that have made it into the Hall.
AT the very least the inventors of the concept album (good ol' Paul gave it 3 stars) deserve respect.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Progressive Rock hasn't fared well with the HOF crowd. A band that was once best known for writing a chorus of "Timothy Leary's Dead - Flying on an Astral Plane around San Fran Bay" is bound to be classified as a period piece.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
With Rush added to the HOF this year the Moody's are third in line behind #1 Yes and #2 Jethro Tull on the prog rock list of neglected acts. Emerson, Lake and Palmer (ELP) and Robert Fripp's King Crimson round out the top 5. Crimson was recently sampled on Kanye's track "Power".

A Kanye/King Crimson mash up (many of them on youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdTiGteWvQM

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That is some pretty strong fire power of neglected bands. For the life of me I cannot believe Yes or Tull aren't in the HOF and ELP for that matter.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I agree
That is some pretty strong fire power of neglected bands. For the life of me I cannot believe Yes or Tull aren't in the HOF and ELP for that matter.
- especially concerning Tull....course, me being a flute player has nothing to do with it...

Reaction Score
Is STYX in the HOF?
Given the sway "critics" have, I wouldn't be surprised if they're NOT.

I like 'em anyway!

Reaction Score
a special pet-peeve of mine: R&R hall of fame snubs.
my top-ten: (no particular order) Chicago, J Geils, ELP, BS&T, Yes, John Mayall, Steve Miller, Todd Rundgren, Moody Blues, Johnny Winter.
also: Little Feat, Doobie Bros, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Grand Funk, ELO, Joe Cocker, Steppenwolf, Guess Who, Dick Dale, Chubby Checker, Heart, Linda Ronstadt, Deep Purple

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Another neglected category is Mid West Rock Bands

Styx, Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Grand Funk Railroad, etc. Alice Cooper was the last of the Mid West Group to get inducted.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Don't forget the Nuge. The best reason to exclude Nugent is to hear him rant on why he wants to blow up the HOF :) Which he does regularly on youtube.

NSF of course. But you should have known that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There are sooooo many who deserve to be in line before Nugent.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Just as I thought ...huge bias among voting members. Write your congressperson.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Rock and roll? Joni Mitchell, but not the Fugs? Brenda Lee, but not Country Joe and the Fish? John Mellencamp, but not the Quicksilver Messenger Service? Darlene Love, but not Big Brother (yes, I know Janis is in, but Cheap Thrills was far and away her best album.) This is NOT as it should be! Glad to see that the Stooges and the DC5 made it in, though.

Reaction Score
Harry Chapin...not in the R&R HOF, not on the snubbed list. THE SHAME!

Where is the story song/folk rock Hall of Fame?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sorry, been blocked out all day. Yea there are a lot of groups/artists not in the HOF.

Here's a listing I found.

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php
The list is a bit off, at least for the "early influences". Now, the Hall has counted the doo-wop era as straight up eligible, i.e. Dion (& the Belmonts). But the early influences list contain about a half dozen from that time, e.g.Clovers, Chuck Willis. Said groups don't combine with, say, Cab Calloway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom