Saw the 1st half and was proud | The Boneyard

Saw the 1st half and was proud

Reaction Score
Really liked the way the whole team played, both sides of the ball.. Assuming SMU was the odds on favorite.

Kind of Major point at end of 1st half : Why didn't HCRE call TO with 2:25 ish left with SMU? ready to punt to us. I mean come on, do you trust your O or you don;t at that point of the game, As a spectator I trusted them and there and wanted them to get the ball with real time left.

Did not get to see 2nd half but BS can not miss open receivers and stay on the field. So indirectly I call for Pindel, to see what is possible. BS is good , and might lead us to 'W's with heart, but you can not miss open receivers that are 25+ yds down the field. It's difficult to execute. but from the fans pov when you miss a wide open receiver its misery.

But I trust in HCRE to make the decisions. He knows alot more than me.

So I guess I am mussy concerning coaching and QBs. Is BS the bet option to win, maybe. Can someone else lead us to W's? Glad I don't have to make the decision, hell I can't even get the three 60+ year olds that report to me do much. Seriouly.

But I trust in HCRE and that what it is all about. And I like what i see

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really liked the way the whole team played, both sides of the ball.. Assuming SMU was the odds on favorite.

Kind of Major point at end of 1st half : Why didn't HCRE call TO with 2:25 ish left with SMU? ready to punt to us. I mean come on, do you trust your O or you don;t at that point of the game, As a spectator I trusted them and there and wanted them to get the ball with real time left.

Did not get to see 2nd half but BS can not miss open receivers and stay on the field. So indirectly I call for Pindel, to see what is possible. BS is good , and might lead us to 'W's with heart, but you can not miss open receivers that are 25+ yds down the field. It's difficult to execute. but from the fans pov when you miss a wide open receiver its misery.

But I trust in HCRE to make the decisions. He knows alot more than me.

So I guess I am mussy concerning coaching and QBs. Is BS the bet option to win, maybe. Can someone else lead us to W's? Glad I don't have to make the decision, hell I can't even get the three 60+ year olds that report to me do much. Seriouly.

But I trust in HCRE and that what it is all about. And I like what i see
Smart old guys.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
BS was 22/28 on the day. Lots of short throws (and a few longer ones) but given the yards / catch, he made mostly good throws that allowed some significant YAC. Everyone misses throws / receivers drop balls / routes are messed up / balls get thrown away. Six incompletes in one day is pretty good. If you were going to pick a game to blame BS for the loss, this would not be the game.

That being said, his biggest failing today was the sacks which, once again, is not just on him. Eight sacks just isn't sustainable and you have to put most of that on the OL but some of that has to be recognition by BS.

By the way, I think the biggest issue with Pindell in the Holy Cross game was his pre-snap reads and recognition when he got behind center. If that hasn't improved, I can't imagine what sort of beating he would have taken in this game.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
BS was 22/28 on the day. Lots of short throws (and a few longer ones) but given the yards / catch, he made mostly good throws that allowed some significant YAC. Everyone misses throws / receivers drop balls / routes are messed up / balls get thrown away. Six incompletes in one day is pretty good. If you were going to pick a game to blame BS for the loss, this would not be the game.

That being said, his biggest failing today was the sacks which, once again, is not just on him. Eight sacks just isn't sustainable and you have to put most of that on the OL but some of that has to be recognition by BS.

By the way, I think the biggest issue with Pindell in the Holy Cross game was his pre-snap reads and recognition when he got behind center. If that hasn't improved, I can't imagine what sort of beating he would have taken in this game.
But I don't think BS threw a pick or fumbled on a sack. Because of that, we were tied with 12:00 left in the game.

Reaction Score
This is progress. We had six years of pretty much total incompetence and Crazy Bob did a heck of a job screwing the roster with basketball recruits.

I am still a bit surprised that Edsall let the defense slip this much and will not be at all surprised if Crocker is a short timer.

Edsall recruits all the speed he can get his hands on and that will go a long way to fixing the defense.

Reaction Score
But I don't think BS threw a pick or fumbled on a sack. Because of that, we were tied with 12:00 left in the game.

BS fumbled on one sack, but Peart recovered it.

Aside- i looked at each sack a few times, and i would say half of them could have been classified as "on BS". He doesn't always have a great sense of a collapsing pocket, or his limitations as an athlete. The other half were pure OL technique spread around between each of them.

Reaction Score
This is progress. We had six years of pretty much total incompetence and Crazy Bob did a heck of a job screwing the roster with basketball recruits.

I am still a bit surprised that Edsall let the defense slip this much and will not be at all surprised if Crocker is a short timer.

Edsall recruits all the speed he can get his hands on and that will go a long way to fixing the defense.

There's a reason that out of 16 recruits we have for 2018, 13 of them are either OL, LB, or DB (could very well be all of them if the 2 i have slotted for WR are DB's, and the RB is a LB).

They knew what they didn't have. I hope some of these guys can play soon.

Reaction Score
Even if we keep BS where he is, we still need to get some playing time for Pindell. SMU gt playing time for two backup QBs. That's how you develop depth at the position.

Sherriff has played better. There have even been a few plays where he went through his progression. But he is at his ceiling.

Reaction Score

couldn't disagree more... The offense side is just getting out of 2nd gear for the first time in about 6 years. It's actually fun to watch as they are moving the ball well (although the power running seems to be lagging)...

The defense is a new scheme with players learning a new process. In both the ECU and SMU game there were flashes of the defense stepping up. There are still some lapses that have given up big plays but I think those will be fixed or shored up with more game time experience for the secondary. Those 49 points don't reflect the defense yesterday. They weren't great, but a lot of those points came on great field position for SMU, especially in the 4th quarter.

Still work to do, but this team is competing and has had a chance to win the past couple games.... Very happy with where the coaches have taken this team so far... Way, way, way, way to early for predicting any coaching departures IMO. Besides, they are all playing with house money this season. The only coach who might be gone is Rhett, and that's because he's turned a perennial dormant offense into a 'high-powered' offense.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Even if we keep BS where he is, we still need to get some playing time for Pindell. SMU gt playing time for two backup QBs. That's how you develop depth at the position.

Sherriff has played better. There have even been a few plays where he went through his progression. But he is at his ceiling.

So you approve of having a different QB come in for the red zone or taking one series per half?

I'm fine with putting in another QB if the game if out of reach but I suspect you aren't saying that.

Reaction Score
couldn't disagree more... The offense side is just getting out of 2nd gear for the first time in about 6 years. It's actually fun to watch as they are moving the ball well (although the power running seems to be lagging)...

The defense is a new scheme with players learning a new process. In both the ECU and SMU game there were flashes of the defense stepping up. There are still some lapses that have given up big plays but I think those will be fixed or shored up with more game time experience for the secondary. Those 49 points don't reflect the defense yesterday. They weren't great, but a lot of those points came on great field position for SMU, especially in the 4th quarter.

Still work to do, but this team is competing and has had a chance to win the past couple games.... Very happy with where the coaches have taken this team so far... Way, way, way, way to early for predicting any coaching departures IMO. Besides, they are all playing with house money this season. The only coach who might be gone is Rhett, and that's because he's turned a perennial dormant offense into a 'high-powered' offense.

Agree the team competed well and the offense is showing immense improvement.

The defense is near last nationally in every major statistical category. I hope you are correct and Crocker has them headed in the right direction, but 49 points is a lot of points for a defense to give up no matter how they score the points.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There will be plenty of time to see if Pindell has anything. This isn't the NFL. If the last 6 years has taught you nothing then at least know this. Every win counts. It counts for building a fan base, it counts for recruiting, it counts for next year's expectations. We have people here that would be giddy with 5 wins in a sport where you can schedule 4 wins.

Reaction Score

Throwing for 400+ yards with no running game and a shaky offensive line is a pretty good ceiling

Reaction Score
For 50 minutes we looked evenly matched (besides at the line of scrimmage) with a half decent SMU team. More than happy with that, given it's week 4 in a complete re-haul of an entire football program that last year would have folded in the first half

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Last year the games were awful to watch and there were losses.

This year there are still losses but dang the team is exciting to watch. It's still early but if this staff can get a stable of decent players the stadium will start to sell out.

Reaction Score
Agree the team competed well and the offense is showing immense improvement.

The defense is near last nationally in every major statistical category. I hope you are correct and Crocker has them headed in the right direction, but 49 points is a lot of points for a defense to give up no matter how they score the points.

SMU is the 16th best offensive team in the country. Not easy for a defense with barely any experience, depth and learning a new system.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Alot of good things happened today. We are getting better and wins will be arriving soon.

At least it's watchable this year.

Seeing enough to have some confidence in minor bowl next year. Assuming Lashlee doesn't get scooped up by a P5.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
SMU is the 16th best offensive team in the country. Not easy for a defense with barely any experience, depth and learning a new system.

fwiw, 4 of the worst 5 team defenses belong to the AAC. Tulsa and ECU still under us. Memphis one spot ahead. Hopefully Tulsa & Memphis are two home wins.
Total Defense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don't think Pindell will start for us next year. Hopefully washington

Reaction Score
I don't think Pindell will start for us next year. Hopefully washington

I don't care which one. Whichever one is better. And we have only seen Pindell for a little more than 2 quarters and haven't seen Washington (or McAfee for that matter) at all. Let's get through this year first though.

Reaction Score
I don't care which one. Whichever one is better. And we have only seen Pindell for a little more than 2 quarters and haven't seen Washington (or McAfee for that matter) at all. Let's get through this year first though.
As you said, it's a limited sample size, but Pindell's throws were weak and/or inaccurate

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom