Saturday/Thursday games are just to long | The Boneyard

Saturday/Thursday games are just to long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yep.

Those Sat./Mon. schedules were great.
Not much time to celebrate a nice Saturday win but not much time to mope about a Saturday loss either.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
OK I blame ollie the aac uconn prez and the last 3 AD's. But really this is a long time and feels like the last month this has been the schedule . Yes I am from the me generation.
Hate it. Hate Sunday/Thursday even more (which is the real cycle we've been on).

Total after thought in the national scheme. Not enough of a Primetime league or player to play on Mo/Tues/Weds and Saturday. You get stuck on Thursday/Sunday.

Just another of the fallouts of CR.

Reaction Score
Not to mention the team has to play SMU at home on Thursday night and then fly to Cincy for a Saturday afternoon game. It's not ideal for fans but much worse for the players. Not a lot of time to rest and prepare when you have less than 48 hours between games, against two of the best teams in the conference nonetheless.

Reaction Score
In the SMU game which js our biggest yet, we needed that extra time. If we get this one, I'm OK with it, I like Sat, Tues.

Reaction Score
I don't mind it all that much it the same schedule the ncaa tournament uses Thursday/Saturday and Friday/Sunday.

Pretty sure this is how the pac 12 does their schedule also

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Whats the difference between Thurs/Sat vs Sat/Mon? Still only a day off between games...
Was just about to post this. It's the same quick turnaround, just shifted.

I think people just like complaining about the AAC for the sake of complaining about the AAC.

Reaction Score

I think people just like complaining about the AAC for the sake of complaining about the AAC.

Read my original post. I blamed ever one.. like Tuesday or Wednesday games because it breaks up the week

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It occurs to me that a basketball game takes about 2 hours regardless of on which day they are played. If the games are too long for you, DVR them and watch later. I'll be able to fast forward through commercials and halftime. :rolleyes:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

Lol right, it's just people liking to complain. Have you ever watched ESPN CBB coverage on Big Monday vs Thursday? Hell they gave the Monday coverage its own name. Monday night is like Saturday night prime time CFB matchups and Thursday is simply not going to get the same level of attention and coverage. It definitely matters.

Reaction Score
From a practice point of view, this a schedule that leaves plenty of time to get better.

Reaction Score
Not to mention the team has to play SMU at home on Thursday night and then fly to Cincy for a Saturday afternoon game. It's not ideal for fans but much worse for the players. Not a lot of time to rest and prepare when you have less than 48 hours between games, against two of the best teams in the conference nonetheless.

Cincinnati has to play @ Tulsa Thursday night, so I don't think it's unfair.

Big Monday was always the gold standard, but that's just because of how it was marketed and because of the teams we were playing. Practically, there's really no difference, and I'd probably choose Thursday games if I had the choice. They're easier for students to attend, and the AAC has designed their schedule to maximize exposure. You can either play on ESPN or ESPN2 on Thursday night or you can play on CBSSN on Tuesday night. Even when we were in the Big East, I never remember saying "well it's Thursday so there must not be any good games on." During the thick of college basketball season, it's pretty much every day besides Friday.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati has to play @ Tulsa Thursday night, so I don't think it's unfair.

Big Monday was always the gold standard, but that's just because of how it was marketed and because of the teams we were playing. Practically, there's really no difference, and I'd probably choose Thursday games if I had the choice. They're easier for students to attend, and the AAC has designed their schedule to maximize exposure. You can either play on ESPN or ESPN2 on Thursday night or you can play on CBSSN on Tuesday night. Even when we were in the Big East, I never remember saying "well it's Thursday so there must not be any good games on." During the thick of college basketball season, it's pretty much every day besides Friday.

I agree with you. I could really care less about what night the games are on, I'm going to watch regardless. It's not an unfair advantage because both teams are playing Thursday night and then again on Saturday, I just don't like the quick turnaround with that much travel involved. If both games are home or if we're playing Temple or a close non-conference opponent then that's fine.

The AAC just has trouble finding a schedule that works for everyone. Thursday-Saturday matchups away at SMU and at Houston are fine. You can do it with the Florida schools too, but one away and then one home with one day in between isn't ideal for the players. I thought the conference was going to try to group road trips like this but I've noticed it less this year.

Reaction Score
Whats the difference between Thurs/Sat vs Sat/Mon? Still only a day off between games...

In terms of rest/preparation time? Zero.

The real issue is exposure. We would routinely get Saturday afternoon on CBS or ESPN, followed by Big Monday on ESPN.

These days we're typically Sunday afternoon on CBSSN (formerly opposite the NFL) and Thursday night on ESPN2.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
In terms of rest/preparation time? Zero.

The real issue is exposure. We would routinely get Saturday afternoon on CBS or ESPN, followed by Big Monday on ESPN.

These days we're typically Sunday afternoon on CBSSN (formerly opposite the NFL) and Thursday night on ESPN2.

Well that has everything to do w/ the competition and nothing to do with what day we actually play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom