Satou Sabally Will Enter the WNBA... UConn's 2021 NC Chances Just Went Up a Bit. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Satou Sabally Will Enter the WNBA... UConn's 2021 NC Chances Just Went Up a Bit.

Reaction Score
Very nice to see Satou is trying to finish her bachelor degree this summer. A very smart girl.

But will Oregon becomes this year's ND next year with 4 starters leaving?
Boley could also leave. She is a senior academically.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Next year is going to be interesting. On paper UCONN looks like a clear front runner IMO since much of their talent is young and likely makes a big jump next season, plus Paige has all the makings of being a game changer. Unless we see otherwise in the tournament, they're a pretty big step behind Baylor/SC/Oregon so they'll need to make big strides to be a title favorite next year IMO. The upside is there though. Top transfer becomes eligible, replace current PG with #1 recruit, 3 double digit scorers back, 2 other contributing freshmen return, plus a very good recruiting class.

Comparativelu, Baylor/SC/Oregon all lose a LOT to graduation. Baylor 3 starters, SC 2, and Oregon 4. All lose at least 1 All American and a PG/post combo. SC I think is best suited to compete with UCONN but I'm not sure who replaces Harris for them. Baylor will be strong again with Richards/Smith/Egbo returning. Oregon appears to have a lot of good pieces but health and how quickly they fit together is the question.

Other good programs return a lot like Louisville, Oregon State, Arizona, Stanford, Kentucky, Mississippi State, and Maryland. I do think UCONN on paper looks the best but it should be a pretty balanced year IMO.
South Carolina's starters play half a game on most nights without much of a drop off. The two starters will be replaced by Henderson and Amihere….they equal Harris and Herbert Harrington by the beginning of next season talent wise.

Reaction Score
Next year is going to be interesting. On paper UCONN looks like a clear front runner IMO since much of their talent is young and likely makes a big jump next season, plus Paige has all the makings of being a game changer. Unless we see otherwise in the tournament, they're a pretty big step behind Baylor/SC/Oregon so they'll need to make big strides to be a title favorite next year IMO. The upside is there though. Top transfer becomes eligible, replace current PG with #1 recruit, 3 double digit scorers back, 2 other contributing freshmen return, plus a very good recruiting class.

Comparativelu, Baylor/SC/Oregon all lose a LOT to graduation. Baylor 3 starters, SC 2, and Oregon 4. All lose at least 1 All American and a PG/post combo. SC I think is best suited to compete with UCONN but I'm not sure who replaces Harris for them. Baylor will be strong again with Richards/Smith/Egbo returning. Oregon appears to have a lot of good pieces but health and how quickly they fit together is the question.

Other good programs return a lot like Louisville, Oregon State, Arizona, Stanford, Kentucky, Mississippi State, and Maryland. I do think UCONN on paper looks the best but it should be a pretty balanced year IMO.
The key which team gets big transfers. We still need another power forward to join our team to beat South Carolina, Stamford, Louisville, and Oregon.

Reaction Score
No problem with her decision, but I am a little surprised she didn’t sit on the public announcement until Oregon’s season was over.
I believe it said she was being asked by people and it was weighing heavy on her mind so she just wanted to get it out there and off her chest. I guess she talked it over with Graves because it said she would be participating in senior night.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
South Carolina's starters play half a game on most nights without much of a drop off. The two starters will be replaced by Henderson and Amihere….they equal Harris and Herbert Harrington by the beginning of next season talent wise.

No way do they equal those 2. Henderson can shoot but doesnt run an offense like Ty does. Ty is a 4 year starter and will be an All American this year. MHH is excellent and a 4 year contributor. Amihere is a raw freshmen. Other players will get better but those positions will see a big drop off.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
The key which team gets big transfers. We still need another power forward to join our team to beat South Carolina, Stamford, Louisville, and Oregon.

Considering how rare it is to get a waiver, most of the impact transfers are sitting out this year. Westbrook, Prince, Decosta and Cooks are the only big names I can think of who become eligible. Grad transfers could impact the game too but I have no idea who will be eligible besides Rennia Davis. UCONN likely goes with a smaller lineup next year, having 3 guards, Walker and ONO. I'd look for Edwards and Griffin to get PF minutes.

The other thing to keep in mind is there will likely be big time transfers after this year too. Seems like every off season you see a flurry of former top 20 recruits looking for new programs.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Destanni Henderson, who will be a junior and was the number 1 PG recruit in the 2019 class. Zia Cooke will likely remain at the 2, Brea Beal at the 3 and Aliyah Boston at the 5. Either Victaria Saxton or Laeticia Amihere will start at the 4 for SC next year.

Reaction Score
No way do they equal those 2. Henderson can shoot but doesnt run an offense like Ty does. Ty is a 4 year starter and will be an All American this year. MHH is excellent and a 4 year contributor. Amihere is a raw freshmen. Other players will get better but those positions will see a big drop off.
Amihere will be a sophomore next year and one more year removed from her knee injury. Her ceiling is higher than Harrigan. She was ranked the #2 forward in her class. Harrigan was ranked #12. The question will be will she reach her full potential next year. Henderson was ranked as the #1 point guard in her class. Ty was ranked 9th. We really don't know how big of a drop off it will be since Dawn has proven that she develop players who were not McDonalds All Americans. Also SC will be adding a shooter in Destiny Litteton.

Reaction Score
Destanni Henderson, who will be a junior and was the number 1 PG recruit in the 2019 class. Zia Cooke will likely remain at the 2, Brea Beal at the 3 and Aliyah Boston at the 5. Either Victaria Saxton or Laeticia Amihere will start at the 4 for SC next year.

Henderson was #1 in 2018. Zia was #1 in 2019. Also you have Destiny Littleton who will be the best shooter on the team.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Henderson was #1 in 2018. Zia was #1 in 2019. Also you have Destiny Littleton who will be the best shooter on the team.
I know Zia was ranked as the number 1 point guard; I was referring to their position on the court.

Reaction Score
I don't like reading comments from UConn fans about improving their chances due to what players from other team do. That's for other programs' fans. UConn wins on their own. No need to seek help from outside.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
No they won't...you also have to figure in Grissett and Saxon...add Littleton...and that team is stacked....no drop offs anywhere and I might argue, will be better !

bballnut90

Reaction Score
No they won't...you also have to figure in Grissett and Saxon...add Littleton...and that team is stacked....no drop offs anywhere and I might argue, will be better !

It's good to have optimism, but I don't see it. I dont see Henderson being equivalent to Ty Harris next year unless she makes some massive improvements. Same with Amihere/Saxton for MHH. Those two bring a lot to the table on both ends. Theyll be a young team with only Grissett as a senior.

I am also not sold on Littleton making a big impact. Averaged 8 points on 39.7% shooting, 32% from deep, at Texas.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
It's good to have optimism, but I don't see it. I dont see Henderson being equivalent to Ty Harris next year unless she makes some massive improvements. Same with Amihere/Saxton for MHH. Those two bring a lot to the table on both ends. Theyll be a young team with only Grissett as a senior.

I am also not sold on Littleton making a big impact. Averaged 8 points on 39.7% shooting, 32% from deep, at Texas.
No one was sold on freshmen Boston, Cooke and Beal mixed with those two taking them to No.1 for most of the season and the SEC championship either...so...I get it. Now Boston, Cooke and Beal are the three (instead of two) that will need some role players to fill the gap. Those are some great "role" players in Saxon, Henderson, Grissett, Amihere and Littleton. I think South Carolina will be just as strong if not stronger next season...but...we shall see.

Reaction Score

Coming from the same person that said Herbert Harrigan wouldn’t develop and that Ty Harris would never be as good as her PG peers from her class (Ionescu, Slocum, Sutton, Dangerfield)... I think Henderson and Amihere will be the next two to prove you wrong! There will only be one Ty Harris just as there was one only Khadijah Sessions and one Lakeisha Sutton before her but doubting Dawns ability to turn Henderson into a AA is something you’ll regret. Henderson is easily one of the best players off the bench in the SEC and nearly has 100 assist in the season while not even playing over 20 mpg. I guess they’ll have to show you better than I can tell you....

As far as Littleton goes it’ll probably take her some time to get adjusted being that she had surgery on both feet this year but there is no doubt she’ll be a better player in a better system with a better team and coach. If she can learn to play SC defense I have no doubt she’ll see the floor and be able to score. I mean you just don’t become your state’s all time leading scorer and can’t put the ball in the hoop.

Reaction Score

I feel like a couple of someones specifically scolded South Carolina fans in the preseason for thinking there was anything special about Harris and Herbert-Harrigan.

Henderson averages 3 assists a game off the bench.

Her decision making isn't at Harris's level at the moment, but I feel pretty comfortable she'll take a step forward when she's in the starting lineup. I'm concerned about the depth of ball handlers as that will require a true freshman to step in mix with Cooke, and I think Cooke is pretty clearly more of a scoring guard.

But all in all, I'm more concerned at losing Herbert-Harrigan's ability to stretch the floor and block shots.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Just saw on the ESPN crawl that Satou will be going pro at the end of the year, further weakening OR next year. That slightly increases UConn's chances, though OR would not be the favorite either way.
Now if Aliyah Boston commits to the WNBA ... shoot too young.

Reaction Score
bballnut90-save your breath. Trying to reason with SC fans is like trying to argue with a brick wall.

They're relentless vipers on twitter and ridiculous.

And, sorry I got this thread locked, everyone.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
bballnut90-save your breath. Trying to reason with SC fans is like trying to argue with a brick wall.

They're relentless vipers on twitter and ridiculous.

And, sorry I got this thread locked, everyone.
Like a brick wall...you do realize that these are just opinions and everyone is going to be biased. I am not a South Carolina fan and I am saying that this team could possibly be much better next year with the replacements of Harris and Herbert Harrington because those three freshmen will be a year into the system and they have exceeded expectations already. There won't be a "need to be as good" or better. It's just a filling roles behind those three and the South Carolina team has more than enough to do that...easily. I watch every WBB game I can (and that's a whole lot of them) and this year South Carolina, Oregon and Baylor are better than everyone else...but...South Carolina is the young ones.....next year they will be better.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Coming from the same person that said Herbert Harrigan wouldn’t develop and that Ty Harris would never be as good as her PG peers from her class (Ionescu, Slocum, Sutton, Dangerfield)... I think Henderson and Amihere will be the next two to prove you wrong! There will only be one Ty Harris just as there was one only Khadijah Sessions and one Lakeisha Sutton before her but doubting Dawns ability to turn Henderson into a AA is something you’ll regret. Henderson is easily one of the best players off the bench in the SEC and nearly has 100 assist in the season while not even playing over 20 mpg. I guess they’ll have to show you better than I can tell you....

As far as Littleton goes it’ll probably take her some time to get adjusted being that she had surgery on both feet this year but there is no doubt she’ll be a better player in a better system with a better team and coach. If she can learn to play SC defense I have no doubt she’ll see the floor and be able to score. I mean you just don’t become your state’s all time leading scorer and can’t put the ball in the hoop.

I never said that about either player....I've asked you this before @SCspur, but if you're going to put words in my mouth please quote something I say.

And Henderson is good but I dont see her going from bench player to premiere PG in the country next year. Amihere could become a beast but it takes time for players to develop and improve. She'll be a sophomore next year. MHH is a senior who does a lot of things well for this team that will not easily be replaced. That's not to say it cant be or will cause them to be a worse team but I think the loss of those 2 will definitely be felt.

Reaction Score
I was one of those who was not impressed with Harris and Harrington as senior leaders and with their performances. 25 games later, those two in my mind have taken their game up a level and are responsible, along with Boston, for the place they are today in WCBB.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

As much as I love Henderson (she's a better perimeter scorer than Harris), she still scares me when she handles the ball for a long period of time. She over dribbles still but Dawn can clean that up. Harris is such a calming presence and influence on the game that she even calms me.. and I'm not on the floor playing. Harris is the big loss.

I don't at all think we will drop off too significantly at point next year as far as offensive production but we will lose something with it... Harris just has IT.. that "je ne sais quoi" that you want at point. Our freshmen will grow up for next season.. and I'm pretty sure Aliyah will be a team captain, so I do think that will help Henderson as she will play with an experienced bunch. Aliyah is already a big time leader on the floor. Watching her direct traffic out there is beautiful, as a FRESHMAN.

The good thing is Zia gets more opportunity at point guard next year, but I think she's so good at scoring that she should really consider moving off the ball.. or to more of an Asia Durr type role.

I'm excited to see who the next elite PG is that Dawn brings in.. hopefully it's Raven Johnson but Louisville scares me with her. Eniya Russell is a point guard for her team (in HS, the best players usually are) but I think she's a scoring wing at the next level.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Not just any state - a state with nearly the population equivalent of NC, SC, Ga and Florida.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom