Saniya's sophomore indecision per SNY | The Boneyard

Saniya's sophomore indecision per SNY

Reaction Score
Heard on SNY first today... Saniya leaving UConn...

"She pondered leaving UConn in her Sophomore year."

Denied by Saniya...
During the game they had much more detail on the story. Maybe the story is true except for the part about her pondering leaving. Perhaps that's a bit of an embellishment to the story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I thought Saniya's postgame reaction to that question was pretty funny. She basically looked back at Justine as if she were from another planet. I was also surprised to hear the initial story that she'd considered transferring, because I remembered reading this quote from her:

"We’re a family. It doesn’t matter about playing time or whatever. It’s because we all have each other’s back, we all support each other — no matter what — and just, the family, the bond that we’ve created, I love it."

Granted, she said that one year ago rather than two years ago, but still…

Zacchio: Saniya Chong won’t transfer, so stop asking

Reaction Score
Truth, such as it ever is, probably lies somewhere in between. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if she expressed some doubts somewhere along the line to those she was closest to and maybe she wondered aloud if she should try a different route. But it obviously never came even close to that. Great young lady.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
During the game they had much more detail on the story. Maybe the story is true except for the part about her pondering leaving. Perhaps that's a bit of an embellishment to the story.
So Saniya wouldn't know if she was thinking about leaving? Saniya said she did not. Someone else said she was- that's not an embellishment-it's a lie.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
She was taken a little off guard when Justine asked her after the game. She seemed puzzled she was ask that.

Reaction Score
So Saniya wouldn't know if she was thinking about leaving? Saniya said she did not. Someone else said she was- that's not an embellishment-it's a lie.
What I meant was the rest of the story could have been true. In other words, she could have gone home, talked to her high school coach, etc. maybe not explicitly stating she was considering transferring, but with that kind of story easy for the talking heads on TV to infer it and add that embellishment to the story.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
See... That news was Incomplete... Thankfully JordyG was on hand to make that correction lol :) I knew I was missing a few S'sssss
You're welcome. As for me with all of the early rising I've done lately I'm missing a few Zzzzzzzzz's. It was worth it though with all of the live music I've been listening to.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I too was surprised to hear that Saniya had considered transferring, as I had never heard that before. From the reporting yesterday, clearly the story did not originate with Saniya, but more likely with her HS coach.

I can only surmise that perhaps after her sophomore season, Saniya talked things over with her old coach, expressing some disappointment and doubt about whether she would ever be successful at UConn. The conversation may have led the coach to believe that Saniya was considering transferring, or perhaps they actually touched on the subject during their discussion.

Either way, I do believe the coach should have kept that discussion private.

Reaction Score
Heard on SNY first today... Saniya leaving UConn...

"She pondered leaving UConn in her Sophomore year."

Denied by Saniya...

When the SNY interviewed Saniya after the Senior Nite game--she asked Saniya why she didn't transfer---Saniya did a double take and made a improbable looking face and said: I'd never transfer from Uconn. That put that story to bed.
Saniya is and was more than just a basketball player--she wanted an education in a family atmosphere --she found that at Uconn, as many other have found.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hope this "story" is dead now. Happy to just appreciate her strength of character to persevere against tough basketball and health issues.

Reaction Score
I too was surprised to hear that Saniya had considered transferring, as I had never heard that before. From the reporting yesterday, clearly the story did not originate with Saniya, but more likely with her HS coach.

I can only surmise that perhaps after her sophomore season, Saniya talked things over with her old coach, expressing some disappointment and doubt about whether she would ever be successful at UConn. The conversation may have led the coach to believe that Saniya was considering transferring, or perhaps they actually touched on the subject during their discussion.

I think you hit the nail on the head !

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I saw that interview live and Saniya was genuinely bewildered by Justine Ward's assertion that she had considered transferring. This story probably came from her HS Coach, according to the story that was related on the SNY Broadcast, Saniya talked to her HS Coach at some point during he sophomore year about many things. She probably expressed frustration, fear and doubt like a 19-year-old in a high pressure situation will do with someone she thought she could trust. The fault here, if there is any, lies with her HS Coach who revealed a private confidence and allowed his own opinion to be made the story. The conversation, whatever the substance, should have remained private.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter and I am glad she is playing well NOW.
I'm glad Saniya is playing well also but I think it does matter. Somewhere in this process adults are being irresponsible by reporting something as fact, with details, that did not happen. That kind of thing would not be allowed even here on the BY.

Reaction Score

oldude, Either way you just further added to this nonsense by passing judgement on what her HS coach did or did not do or should or should not have done. Seems you like to surmise, which is very much the same as you liking to assume. We all know what A.S.S.U.M.E. means and in your case it could never be truer.

Reaction Score
I saw that interview live and Saniya was genuinely bewildered by Justine Ward's assertion that she had considered transferring. This story probably came from her HS Coach, according to the story that was related on the SNY Broadcast, Saniya talked to her HS Coach at some point during he sophomore year about many things. She probably expressed frustration, fear and doubt like a 19-year-old in a high pressure situation will do with someone she thought she could trust. The fault here, if there is any, lies with her HS Coach who revealed a private confidence and allowed his own opinion to be made the story. The conversation, whatever the substance, should have remained private.

Another boneyarder going off half cocked making assumptions and judgements without knowing any of the facts. Maybe, just maybe it was Geno or someone on his staff that started this tempest in a teapot. Some of you people on here have in the past and continue to disgust me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
oldude, Either way you just further added to this nonsense by passing judgement on what her HS coach did or did not do or should or should not have done. Seems you like to surmise, which is very much the same as you liking to assume. We all know what A.S.S.U.M.E. means and in your case it could never be truer.
BB, you are right about my speculation about what Saniya & her HS coach may have discussed, but SNY suggested that Saniya's coach indicated that she considered transferring, which IMO was a private conversation that should not have been discussed with others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom