Saniya - halftime - preseaon - game 1 | The Boneyard

Saniya - halftime - preseaon - game 1

Reaction Score
Saniya played 10:15 of first half (third most on team)..........no fga's, no fta's, 2 rbs, 1 ast, 2 pf, 1 to, and a +1 in the +/- time on floor category. Saniya's team is down 50 - 47 at halftime.

Take any open shots, Saniya .....and create off the dribble! It's the WNBA, girl ........ don't be shy..........show them what we Boneyarders know you've got!

Click on this LINK for play by play, box score or game summary.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kaela Davis and Alisha Gray went 7-26.

Chong was 4-6 for 8 points and 2 assists.

It seems to me she was way to passive in the first half 0-0 and really tried to play team ball with 2 reb / 2 assists / 2to. (I think)

3rd quarter she started looking for shots with a few layups mid range jumpers 4 / 4 in third but SA started to pull away a little.

By 4th quarter, with SA up by 8 or so, Saniya tried to get her team back with 3 pointers but missed both (Not a good thing if you have one shot at really impressing your coaches).

Not sure if she showed enough to stick? :( They are not getting rid of Gray or Davis.

On the SA side, Plum is not shy and I think Coffey is the real deal. SA will definitely score more.

Reaction Score
It seems to me she was way to passive in the first half 0-0 and really tried to play team ball with 2 reb / 2 assists / 2to. (I think)

3rd quarter she started looking for shots with a few layups mid range jumpers 4 / 4 in third but SA started to pull away a little.

By 4th quarter, with SA up by 8 or so, Saniya tried to get her team back with 3 pointers but missed both (Not a good thing if you have one shot at really impressing your coaches).

Not sure if she showed enough to stick? :( They are not getting rid of Gray or Davis.

On the SA side, Plum is not shy and I think Coffey is the real deal. SA will definitely score more.

Saniya has the upper hand.

Coach knows that if UCONN hadn't suffered the burp in the NCAA's that she would've lead them to another championship.

Saniya knows that she has to be able to lead the team as a point guard with Skylar as the other guard.

It's all about team synergy.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Talk about Saniya being considered an after thought.

In this brief analysis of the game from the Dallas perspective,

Thoughts from Dallas Wings' preseason opener: Mixed bag for rookies, defense struggles in loss | SportsDay

not even a mention of Saniya is given in a paragraph entitled Rookie report. :(:(

"It was a mixed bag for the Wings' rookie class in the preseason opener. No. 4 overall pick Allisha Gray led the team with 15 points but shot 3-for-14 from the floor. No. 10 pick Kaela Davis started the game 4-for-8 from the floor but missed her final four field-goal attempts. No. 3 pick Evelyn Akhator struggled, but she is expected to be a bit of a project. The surprise was undrafted free agent Kayla Tornton, who scored 11 points on 4-for-5 shooting. She also added six rebounds, which was tied with Davis and second-round pick Breanna Lewis for the team-high"

Reaction Score
Talk about Saniya being considered an after thought.

In this brief analysis of the game from the Dallas perspective,

Thoughts from Dallas Wings' preseason opener: Mixed bag for rookies, defense struggles in loss | SportsDay

not even a mention of Saniya is given in a paragraph entitled Rookie report. :(:(

"It was a mixed bag for the Wings' rookie class in the preseason opener. No. 4 overall pick Allisha Gray led the team with 15 points but shot 3-for-14 from the floor. No. 10 pick Kaela Davis started the game 4-for-8 from the floor but missed her final four field-goal attempts. No. 3 pick Evelyn Akhator struggled, but she is expected to be a bit of a project. The surprise was undrafted free agent Kayla Tornton, who scored 11 points on 4-for-5 shooting. She also added six rebounds, which was tied with Davis and second-round pick Breanna Lewis for the team-high"

But not a word in that article about Saniya? Ouch! The stats show a good game performance. Does the non-mention reflect management's belief that she's only here for the pre-season? Is the fix in for Saniya?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But not a word in that article about Saniya? Ouch! The stats show a good game performance. Does the non-mention reflect management's belief that she's only here for the pre-season? Is the fix in for Saniya?
Nope - it reflects the standard for sports reporters and fans - performance is evaluated by the number of points you score and your reputation. And of course Saniya isn't really a rookie having played for Geno for 4 years! :rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Saniya's cautious by nature. Give her some time to figure out that she can play at this level. Not too much, though, Saniya.

Reaction Score
Going 4 -6 shows me a good first pre season game start. Playing for Uconn gives you that mental toughness where Saniya sees the basket with little or no doubt it is going in. Hopefully her getting minutes, can only make her better:):)

GO SANIYA!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In this Dallas News article, the same idiot reporter who ignored Saniya after the game gave this assessment of the rookie class
prior to the game.

Wings' large rookie class trying to make impact on Dallas as it adjusts to WNBA | SportsDay

The relevant parts are

"They also added some winning culture to the team. Chong is from the vaunted UConn program while Gray and Davis both won the national championship with South Carolina in Dallas in early April. The hope is that some of their winning ways rub off on a team that went 11-23 last year."

"And the first big test will come Saturday, in Dallas' preseason opener at San Antonio. It will be an audition of sorts as the Wings currently only have three open roster spots for this "Fab Five" to fill."

If Saniya has no real chance (my guess since they will not cut loose their SC baubles and Akhator fills a strong need) , I hope they release her quickly so she can sign with another team and maybe getting a better crack in some more preseason games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If Saniya has no real chance (my guess since they will not cut loose their SC baubles and Akhator fills a strong need) , I hope they release her quickly so she can sign with another team and maybe getting a better crack in some more preseason games.
I actually think I disagree - she may get a better chance to showcase herself to other teams on the Dallas team because they aren't exactly loaded with play making guards and if she is playing well and efficiently she might have a better chance getting picked up by a team later in the preseason that realizes their own shiny new playmakers aren't cutting it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Saniya is really competing with Erin Phillips for the backup PG spot. Erin is seasoned and solid. If Saniya shows enough, she may cause Dallas to think about going with less expensive youth.

One game is not necessarily representative, but Saniya's shooting percentage relative to that for Gray and especially Davis doesn't surprise me. One hallmark of Geno's players is knowing and taking higher percentage shots.

In some ways, Saniya is the opposite of Kelly Faris. Kelly is a good defender with size; Saniya is a skilled offensive player. Best wishes to both.

I definitely think that Saniya can play at the next level. Having a UConn teammate may help her confidence.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I actually think I disagree - she may get a better chance to showcase herself to other teams on the Dallas team because they aren't exactly loaded with play making guards and if she is playing well and efficiently she might have a better chance getting picked up by a team later in the preseason that realizes their own shiny new playmakers aren't cutting it.

That assumes that Dallas will give her substantial minutes which would show they are seriously considering her. If not, they should release her to give her enough time to catch on and impress another team in their own camp.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sorry, who is her UConn teammate?
She doesn't have any now, but rosters change based on cuts, trades, etc.

I think her confidence was her biggest problem at UConn. Anything to boost her confidence will help her.

Reaction Score
She doesn't have any now, but rosters change based on cuts, trades, etc.

I think her confidence was her biggest problem at UConn. Anything to boost her confidence will help her.

Oh, ok. I think CD said in one of the late interviews that Sanya is a lot tougher than they thought. I think she will be all right. She has that UConn chip on her shoulder and that will help her as all other UConn graduates. They know they are better prepared and most WNBA coaches say so.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Oh, ok. I think CD said in one of the late interviews that Sanya is a lot tougher than they thought. I think she will be all right. She has that UConn chip on her shoulder and that will help her as all other UConn graduates. They know they are better prepared and most WNBA coaches say so.
I have no doubt that Saniya can play pro ball. The first question will be whether she makes the Dallas roster. If she doesn't, then the question is who picks her up. If she doesn't get picked up in the W, then the question relates to where in Europe or Asia she'll play in the winter.

Reaction Score
I think Dallas should go with Saniya and Breanna Lewis and one of the others (anybody's guess).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom