Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong Selected by the Dallas Wings in WNBA Draft

Good for her! #HuskyForLife

AR-161119663.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
but really how many of these players make the team... its almost impossible to rotate players every season. This can only happen if there's more teams. too bad many of the young guy cant have long careers. Kalana Greene should still be playing, what is she up to these days?

Reaction Score
Yes, how many do make the team. In my heart I would love to see Saniya have a career in the WNBA but in my gut I don't think she will. I hope I am wrong. Imho

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
All we can hope for is that she gets a good look and she has a good camp. Problem is they had 3 1st round picks and it is usually embarrassing to cut a 1st rounder (especially high profile ones like Gray and Davis). Crossing my fingers she is picked up somewhere.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
do all 1st rounders stick... I mean you have to get rid of a quality player for a unproven rookie.

some WNBA players are aging out of the league tho

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Saniya will get an opportunity to make a WNBA team, and at the end of the day, that's the same opportunity that all of the other young ladies drafted yesterday will have. If Saniya does not earn a roster spot with a WNBA team this season, it is likely that she will be able to play overseas.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I thought first rounders were guaranteed a spot, at least the first year. Anyone?
Asia Taylor, who graduated from U of L in 2014, was plagued with injuries her entire career. She went in the draft that year as the very last pick, by the Lynx. She made the roster cut, lasted the season with them.
She travels overseas each year and has had great success internationally.
She continues to find her way on rosters every year in the W. She has usually been picked up once there has been an injury, and she has provided valuable minutes when getting on the floor.
She is starting out this year with the Sun.
She battles every year to make a roster. I know the odds are stacked against them, outside of the first round. But, it can be done.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It will be tough for Saniya to make the Final Roster of the Dallas Wings.

Their Roster includes Skylar Diggins, Erin Phillips Tiffany Bias and Karima Christmas Kelly. Now add in Allisha Gray and Kaela Davis.

If Dallas decides to keep 5 Guards then I can see Saniya making the team Guard Roster would be Diggins, Phillips, Gray, Davis and Chong.

She can't be afraid/hesitant in her play because of competition from her teammates to make the Roster. She needs to exhibit the HS or Maryland Saniya.

Reaction Score
There seem to be a couple of dozen rookies each year. Then there are about a dozen second-year players.

Does she have a good shot of sticking? Back-up to Skylar Diggins?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
She can't be afraid/hesitant in her play because of competition from her teammates to make the Roster. She needs to exhibit the HS or Maryland Saniya.
Yes. She needs to show she can score. I fear she will be too deferential. Go for the brass ring!

Reaction Score
Saniya will get an opportunity to make a WNBA team, and at the end of the day, that's the same opportunity that all of the other young ladies drafted yesterday will have. If Saniya does not earn a roster spot with a WNBA team this season, it is likely that she will be able to play overseas.

None of the others have the UCONN pedigree though...

I think that will be the difference.

Reaction Score
Yes, how many do make the team. In my heart I would love to see Saniya have a career in the WNBA but in my gut I don't think she will. I hope I am wrong. Imho
Dallas drafted two guards before Saniya, so it will be tough.

Reaction Score
Atlanta picked Reynolds when Chong, Epps and January were available. I will appreciate if somebody explains how this makes sense.
I just do not know enough about WCBB/WNBA to justify it myself.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There seem to be a couple of dozen rookies each year. Then there are about a dozen second-year players.

Does she have a good shot of sticking? Back-up to Skylar Diggins?

Don't have numbers on this, but the odds are against any individual 3rd round pick making the team. That being said, the Sky picked Jamierra Faulkner #34 a few years back and she's been the backup PG ever since.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Atlanta picked Reynolds when Chong, Epps and January were available. I will appreciate if somebody explains how this makes sense.
I just do not know enough about WCBB/WNBA to justify it myself.
I'm only speculating, but all else equal, her physical makeup might give her an edge. She's the tallest of the three, with a fairly substantial build. Maybe it's thought she can handle the physicality of the league better. Epps is listed at 5'10 but doesn't look it to me. Although, I wouldn't peg Reynolds at 5'11 either. January is listed at 5'7", so a little on the short side.

Epps seems undisciplined to me.

A downside for Chong is that her 3-point shot takes a while to set up. My recollection of Reynolds is that she has good form on her shot. Could be wrong. Don't know her stats.

Just tossing out ideas.

Reaction Score
Extremely pleased that Saniya landed in the pros, and I hope she sticks. The WNBA has a bunch of talent, so it'll be a challenge for Chong. Hey, but what hasn't been a challenge for her? Once Geno says he trusts someone, teams need to pay attention. Saniya's growth over time has been very impressive; she a bona fide starting college guard on the best team in the country. Wish her only success in the pros and thank her for her hard work and superb contributions to the Huskies. You go, girl!

Reaction Score
Very ironic it was Dallas that selected her. I'm predicting that she makes the team. She just started scratching the surface of her potential this past season. She has the skills, and the pedigree. WNBA coaches know the Huskies can play the game at this level.

Reaction Score
1. Not a great college career, yet I still find it difficult to accept that there were 25 players better than Ms Chong.
2. The term undisciplined is thrown around a lot to describe teams and ballplayers. I have played ball and have been in the military. Have spent way more time playing ball, yet understand military discipline much, much more. In basketball, does it mean that one is unable to overcome one's instinct. Or is it only used to describe certain ballplayers who play the game a bit differently?
3. In Dallas's position, I am not sure drafting another guard is the best decision.
4. Being partial to Minnesota, that is where I would like to see Ms Chong end up in a trade or, heaven forbid, on waivers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom