Sandoval - ut oh! | The Boneyard

Sandoval - ut oh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Already a major red flag at the hot corner. Despite fans being "generally aware" that Pablo was mandated to lose weight this off-season, Pablo insists that "no one from the Red Sox told him anything about his weight" and (more importantly), he showed up at camp not looking any slimmer.
So, I ask, how can this go wrong?

Reaction Score
The Sox have a lot of problems going into spring training and the Panda is certainly one of them. IMHO Dombrowski has not done nearly enough to right the ship. Yes he did pick up a good top-of-the-rotation starter in David Price and an exceptional closer in Craig Kimbrel and perhaps a solid reliever in Carson Smith but we shouldn't forget that this team finished last in their division and has a lot more holes to fill. David Ortiz is another year older, we don't know what to expect from Jackie Bradley Jr. or Rusney Castillo, and we still have Hanley and the Panda. I think we will be better but I don't see a post season appearance unless a lot more work is done.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sandoval has been fat for a long time. Can he hit anymore? That's all that matters.

Reaction Score
Sandoval has been fat for a long time. Can he hit anymore? That's all that matters.

I thought the Yankees overpaid for Headley at 13 million for 4 years.

Sandoval is a disaster, he has gotten worse for 4 years straight as he got fatter and fatter. The way he looks now is just as fat, this might be one of the worst FA signings ever after it is done.

Reaction Score
I think the fact that fans are still caught up on Panda's weight means that most baseball fans are complete idiots.

Reaction Score
The fact that you wouldn't get caught up means you're either a Red Sox fan with blinders or never played the game. I realize he's always been overweight and some can play it a little at that, but you can't be at your best and to think otherwise looking at those pictures (fatter than ever) is beyond ignorant.

The guy wasn't worth a 1/4 of his contract value last year, but even so let's come into spring training like 40 lbs overweight? :confused: glad he's yours.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the fact that fans are still caught up on Panda's weight means that most baseball fans are complete idiots.

So the San Francisco Giants front office who won the World Series 3 times since 2010 must be complete idiots too. They wouldn't sign Sandoval without weight clauses in his contract.

Reaction Score
So the San Francisco Giants front office who won the World Series 3 times since 2010 must be complete idiots too. They wouldn't sign Sandoval without weight clauses in his contract.
The Giants made no effort to resign him and it wasn't all about weight. The Giant players were thrilled to see him go. He has proven that he can hit carrying extra weight but he looks ridiculous this Spring. It is more important to be in shape as players age and Pablo isn't aging well. If he gets off to a slow start Farrell better sit his fat ass on the bench and go with Holt, Hughes or one of the kids.

Reaction Score
The Giants made no effort to resign him and it wasn't all about weight. The Giant players were thrilled to see him go. He has proven that he can hit carrying extra weight but he looks ridiculous this Spring. It is more important to be in shape as players age and Pablo isn't aging well. If he gets off to a slow start Farrell better sit his fat ass on the bench and go with Holt, Hughes or one of the kids.

No doubt he can hot with a little extra weight on he's proven that. But when you let down your team and come up short on expectations due to to contractual numbers, certainly if you're a team guy you come in a whole "new man" to prove you're ready to turn the corner right? I mean he only proved the contract allowed him to hit the restaurants he so desires.

Reaction Score

So a five year offer for $95 million with an offer to bring it to a 100 is not an effort to resign him?

He also revealed that the team's insistence that he remain on a weight regimen was one of the reasons he decided to leave San Francisco.

Reaction Score
You really can't be much worse than Sandoval and Hanley were last year...and that's not an exagerration.

They can't do much with Hanley if he sucks because he will be the DH for 2017 and 2018 and as far away from a glove as possible...and maybe that's for the best.

As for Panda, I wonder if they just cut his ass if he puts up another stinker. If he can't hit and can't field, what's the use to have him even occupy a spot on the roster. At least Hanley has the potential to be a good hitter.

Reaction Score
You really can't be much worse than Sandoval and Hanley were last year...and that's not an exagerration.

They can't do much with Hanley if he sucks because he will be the DH for 2017 and 2018 and as far away from a glove as possible...and maybe that's for the best.

Holy , Red Sox are paying 23 million for Hanley for the more 3 years including this one.

Reaction Score

No. They were outbid.

While I'm skeptical Sandoval is a 4 fWAR guy like he used to be, weight obviously isn't the issue. He played well fat. He's played poorly fat. I'd rather he just play well instead of playing poorly. Whether he can actually do that again is the issue.

The fact that you wouldn't get caught up means you're either a Red Sox fan with blinders or never played the game. I realize he's always been overweight and some can play it a little at that, but you can't be at your best and to think otherwise looking at those pictures (fatter than ever) is beyond ignorant.

Thanks for the sweet S&C tips, coach.

He worked out 12 hours a day, six days a week in the offseason. So what if he carries a belly? So does Vince Wilfork and he can smash you brains out through your nose.

The Giants made no effort to resign him

Wrong.

He has proven that he can hit carrying extra weight but he looks ridiculous this Spring.

He shed 20 lbs.

God, it's like someone could write anything and you guys would believe it.

Anyway, I'm not championing a comeback year for Pablo, but the point is that his weight has almost nothing to do with it. First thing - high-volume swingers like Pablo always decline quicker. They are entirely dependent on making contact in order to be productive. He's not a guy like say... a David Justice who could be fine with a .240 AVG because he could walk and what he did hit he could kill. Pablo's mostly a slap hitter masquerading as a gap to gap guy based on a few gaudy years w. regards to his power. He's basically a Juan Pierre/Placido Polanco type guy with a belly.

If you look at his pitch f/x he saw 5% more first pitch strikes this year. For whatever reason - pitchers didn't care about not going after him. Probably because his bat speed has slowed. Looking at his production on 4-seam and 2-seam fastballs he went from right around a 6.0-7.0 wFB/1.5-.3.0 wFT guy to a -0.01 and -4.1, respectively in one season. That means he just wasn't catching up to fastballs. His Line drive% and Fly ball% both cratered and his Ground ball% went up.

So basically he looks like Kevin Youkilis did in his last year in Boston. Bat speed has slowed down, having trouble barreling up fastballs he used to feast on and whenever he does make contact, he's beating the ball into the ground. That's pretty much a solid indicator that he's in big trouble. What's not helping is his insistence on switch hitting, which is exacerbating things. His platoon splits are enormous and have been getting worse for some time now...Regardless, Pablo's weight isn't the issue. His skills as a player are.

As for Hanley I don't think he's going to have a hard time getting his bat back. His shoulder was a mess all last year and his plate coverage was dogsh!t. He's one of the best at getting ot balls on the outside part of the plate and he just couldn't barrell balls there. He was always coming off and wasn't able to stay through. I'm confident he gets that back pretty quick this year. Whether he STAYS healthy, we'll see; but I'm pretty confident that bat comes back. We'll see how 1B goes, but i'm far more optimistic abotu him there than LF.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, he does not look fit at all...
upload_2016-3-1_0-59-16.png

Reaction Score
No. They were outbid.

While I'm skeptical Sandoval is a 4 fWAR guy like he used to be, weight obviously isn't the issue. He played well fat. He's played poorly fat. I'd rather he just play well instead of playing poorly. Whether he can actually do that again is the issue.

Thanks for the sweet S&C tips, coach.

He worked out 12 hours a day, six days a week in the offseason. So what if he carries a belly? So does Vince Wilfork and he can smash you brains out through your nose.

Wrong.

He shed 20 lbs.

God, it's like someone could write anything and you guys would believe it.

Anyway, I'm not championing a comeback year for Pablo, but the point is that his weight has almost nothing to do with it. First thing - high-volume swingers like Pablo always decline quicker. They are entirely dependent on making contact in order to be productive. He's not a guy like say... a David Justice who could be fine with a .240 AVG because he could walk and what he did hit he could kill. Pablo's mostly a slap hitter masquerading as a gap to gap guy based on a few gaudy years w. regards to his power. He's basically a Juan Pierre/Placido Polanco type guy with a belly.

If you look at his pitch f/x he saw 5% more first pitch strikes this year. For whatever reason - pitchers didn't care about not going after him. Probably because his bat speed has slowed. Looking at his production on 4-seam and 2-seam fastballs he went from right around a 6.0-7.0 wFB/1.5-.3.0 wFT guy to a -0.01 and -4.1, respectively in one season. That means he just wasn't catching up to fastballs. His Line drive% and Fly ball% both cratered and his Ground ball% went up.

So basically he looks like Kevin Youkilis did in his last year in Boston. Bat speed has slowed down, having trouble barreling up fastballs he used to feast on and whenever he does make contact, he's beating the ball into the ground. That's pretty much a solid indicator that he's in big trouble. What's not helping is his insistence on switch hitting, which is exacerbating things. His platoon splits are enormous and have been getting worse for some time now...Regardless, Pablo's weight isn't the issue. His skills as a player are.

As for Hanley I don't think he's going to have a hard time getting his bat back. His shoulder was a mess all last year and his plate coverage was dogsh!t. He's one of the best at getting ot balls on the outside part of the plate and he just couldn't barrell balls there. He was always coming off and wasn't able to stay through. I'm confident he gets that back pretty quick this year. Whether he STAYS healthy, we'll see; but I'm pretty confident that bat comes back. We'll see how 1B goes, but i'm far more optimistic abotu him there than LF.

What a joke - let's compare Vince Woolfork and your 3rd baseman? Hilarious and stupid. And congrats he can smash my "brains through my nose" that makes me such a failure. If he shed 20lbs and you believe it by looking then your blinders are getting much larger than they already dare to be. I mean if JC were coaching UConn he would have had Brimah at 255 lbs too and you'd believe him LOL

Reaction Score

This is all great stuff. I mean, I have no idea about his wFB or wFT...but don't you just think a guy that signed this contract and stunk as bad as he did last year should "look" like he's trying to show up to camp a little more serious about his job? Leave your calculator at home.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You have to be stone stupid to believe that this guy worked out 12 hours a day, six days a week.

There is zero chance that happened.

Look at him. After 72 hours a week working out, he should look like Mo Farrah. Instead he looks like he ate Mo Farrah.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They offered the same contract 5 years at $95 million and said they would increase it. How is that being outbid?

Because he'd rather be with another team. You do know that SD offered him $100 mil, right rube? Nope, that's hard.

Yeah, he does not look fit at all...
View attachment 12223

Cry, little girl.

What a joke - let's compare Vince Woolfork and your 3rd baseman? Hilarious and stupid. And congrats he can smash my "brains through my nose" that makes me such a failure. If he shed 20lbs and you believe it by looking then your blinders are getting much larger than they already dare to be. I mean if JC were coaching UConn he would have had Brimah at 255 lbs too and you'd believe him LOL

You're the one calling a pro athlete a 'fat ass,' not me, loser.

I love your argument because you're such a delusional sport writer dork. DUDE SO I READ THIS STUFF AND I SAW PICS BRO SO HE'S FAT I MEAN BRO I SEEN DUDES WHO CAN'T DUDE THAT STUFF BRO SO YOU KNOW KNOW FAT AND STUFF.'

Then you listed some *idiotic* quip about how Amidah "the total pro" Brimah *should* be at a particular weight and if JC~! (so BRO, BRO) was around he would have yelled at him a lot, he'd have been an ATLEET bro. Stop. Then thank me. I'm saving you. From yourself.

Unless you've got some conditioning story that says otherwise, then drop and kiss my feet.

This is all great stuff. I mean, I have no idea about his wFB or wFT

Well clearly you don't. Would you like me to explain it to you after I remove the crayon from your nose? I can, in fact - show you how to use it, peasant.

You DID go to UConn, right?

Leave your calculator at home.

It's not my fault you have no problem accepting some goofy OMG HE SO FAT OMG LET ME POST SOME STUFF IN A FORUM STUFF WA WA.

Sorry you don't like metrics. I totally understand why math is hard.

That's why I work in baseball and you drop cinder blocks on your dick for a living.

Simple as that, really. Tell me, rube. What's 2 +2?

Look at him. After 72 hours a week working out, he should look like Mo Farrah. Instead he looks like he ate Mo Farrah.

Thanks, Mr. "My avatar is from Finding Nemo"

Funniest thing about you goofs is i'm actually supporting your narrative but you're too dumb to not choke on your own drool and read an argument that actually makes sense. Read it again and get back to me.It took three of you and you don't even know he metrics i'm talking about yet you're spitting off metrics about something that you know nothing about. And I'm the idiot...

I appreciate everyone's substantive arguments that she'll win her fight. Except for the fact that you'll all get dropped.

Reaction Score
Someone is actually in love with themself. Please Towney save me from myself, I want to be YOU! Help me thou savior.

A also want to be a dope!;)

Reaction Score
It's not my fault you have no problem accepting some goofy OMG HE SO FAT OMG LET ME POST SOME STUFF IN A FORUM STUFF WA WA.

Sorry you don't like metrics. I totally understand why math is hard.

That's why I work in baseball and you drop cinder blocks on your dick for a living.

Simple as that, really. Tell me, rube. What's 2 +2?

Well, I don't drop cinder blocks on my dick for a living. Only in my spare time as a hobby. During the day, I manage a 350 million dollar block of business, actually. And, in your rush to try and be "Funny Message Board Insult Guy", you never answered my question.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought Panda was a bad signing last year. He's been declining year after year for some time. Unfortunately, there aren't many decent 3B anymore.

Supposedly his body fat is down. Either way, all Sox fans can do is hope he can hit and field better than last year. I'm less worried about Hanley, who looks in shape and can hit when healthy. Ortiz is retiring, so he will DH after this season and probably be damned good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom