San Diego Union Tribune: "UConn still not a Blue Blood." | Page 4 | The Boneyard

San Diego Union Tribune: "UConn still not a Blue Blood."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who cares about a team UConn spanked two years in a row
Not just that, the two toughest losses they've suffered as a program. My recon told me they were quietly optimistic going in. And we made them give up. Who cares about a team that gives up?

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Does anyone have a copy of the San Diego Union Tribune handy? I need to line my kitty's litter box.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
...but the article is actually well-written and I have no issues with it. I just didn't get the "international puppetry museum" reference with Jim Calhoun coming to UConn from Northeastern.

@mlpavela chose to give the thread a misconstrued clickbait title.

Reaction Score
...but the article is actually well-written and I have no issues with it. I just didn't get the "international puppetry museum" reference with Jim Calhoun coming to UConn from Northeastern.

I agree it's a nice article. Many flattering things about UConn acknowledged. But earlier in the thread I shared the three times the author shared the conclusion that for all our greatness, we are not a blue blood. I'm not sure what's misconstrued, @SwingDog .

Reaction Score
This.

The other day, I had to establish an online account for paying one of my bills. I was chatting with an online Help person (who I didn't know from Jack) who was answering my questions about the account. I signed off by typing in "Thank you! Go UConn! (March Madness)". The Help person types back, "I love them! I've been a fan of theirs since I was in high school! I'll be rooting for them too!"

Now, this company is located somewhere in the Dallas area -- and the Help person could be remotely working from anywhere -- but it's just another example: People not only know about UConn, quite a few of them are fans.

PS -- I wear my UConn t-shirts out shopping, and people have smiled and stopped me in the grocery store to talk about UConn!
I were UConn gear all over the country. Favorable reactions probably 10:1

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I just didn't get the "international puppetry museum" reference with Jim Calhoun coming to UConn from Northeastern
The comment had nothing directly to do with Calhoun's arrival from Northeastern.

It referenced an academic program's facility that is unique to UConn, as a way of saying that the University had very little that truly distinguished it at the time.

I have no idea what is special about SDSU, but feel no need to slur it.

SwingDog

Reaction Score

The comment had nothing directly to do with Calhoun's arrival from Northeastern.

It referenced an academic program's facility that is unique to UConn, as a way of saying that the University had very little that truly distinguished it at the time.

I have no idea what is special about SDSU, but feel no need to slur it.
Thanks for the explanation.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
I agree it's a nice article. Many flattering things about UConn acknowledged. But earlier in the thread I shared the three times the author shared the conclusion that for all our greatness, we are not a blue blood. I'm not sure what's misconstrued, @SwingDog .
After reading the article it felt to me like your title was misleading because the writer himself didn't say UConn is not a blueblood.

Reaction Score
I read a few articles about this last year. The definition of blueblood is subjective. While most seem to agree on UNC, Kansas, Kentucky and Duke; not everyone agrees on UCLA (hasn't done much lately), Indiana (hasn't done much lately), UConn (success has been too recent and over a short period of time).
Note that the stuff in parenthesis is arguments made by others - not my opinion.

Also note that the networks were happy to call us bluebloods leading up to last years Final 4 when they were trying generate interest and it suited them financially (they didn't want a Final 4 with no bluebloods).

We're bluebloods as far as I'm concerned. If we get left off someone else's list, I have 5 NC's to console me.

Reaction Score
After reading the article it felt to me like your title was misleading because the writer himself didn't say UConn is not a blueblood.
The whole article implied that UConn is not a blue blood, including the last sentence:

“There’s a certain level of validation that’s going to come from this,” Hurley, 51, said last April in Houston after caressing the real thing. “I just feel like my career in coaching, even prior to this, maybe I don’t do a great job kissing the media’s ass and presenting this image that’s incredibly likable, but I am who I am. I’m from Jersey City, and this is how people from Jersey City act.”

But it is how blue bloods act?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I read a few articles about this last year. The definition of blueblood is subjective. While most seem to agree on UNC, Kansas, Kentucky and Duke; not everyone agrees on UCLA (hasn't done much lately), Indiana (hasn't done much lately), UConn (success has been too recent and over a short period of time).
Note that the stuff in parenthesis is arguments made by others - not my opinion.

Also note that the networks were happy to call us bluebloods leading up to last years Final 4 when they were trying generate interest and it suited them financially (they didn't want a Final 4 with no bluebloods).

We're bluebloods as far as I'm concerned. If we get left off someone else's list, I have 5 NC's to console me.
I'm too lazy too check but Duke's success starts only a decade or so before ours, and everyone discounts that UConn was piling up conference championships and NCAA appearances in the Yankee.

Reaction Score
I'm too lazy too check but Duke's success starts only a decade or so before ours, and everyone discounts that UConn was piling up conference championships and NCAA appearances in the Yankee.
But they’ve been so much more consistently good than us. Sure we are close in NCs but the amount of runners-up, final fours, elite eights, etc dwarf ours. Same with regular season and conference tournaments (lol Yankee conference). And time spent ranked top 10. This applies to all the other accepted blue bloods UCLA, Kansas, and UK

Reaction Score
Yeah, I mean UCLA was unbeatable for many years, they’re had the players, formula and Wooden but it’s harder now and Hurley and staff are very good.
It is harder for UCLA because everyone is paying players now (many top dollar) versus no one but them.

Reaction Score
But they’ve been so much more consistently good than us. Sure we are close in NCs but the amount of runners-up, final fours, elite eights, etc dwarf ours. Same with regular season and conference tournaments (lol Yankee conference). And time spent ranked top 10. This applies to all the other accepted blue bloods UCLA, Kansas, and UK
It helps when you’re gifted local arenas for 2-4 games per tournament.

Reaction Score
It helps when you’re gifted local arenas for 2-4 games per tournament.
Like we were this year! What a sign we've made it. Also Danny did NOT like a question implying we had home court advantage at the post game presser if I recall. "We won a ton of games to earn that!" he said, or something like that.

Reaction Score
That’s not really accurate about Duke. I am not a fan of Duke but the reality is that they were a “national” program for decades. Didn’t win national championships until K arrived but played in the championship game in the 60s, 70s, 80s. And the ACC was a major conference in those years. It really isn’t comparable to UConn winning the Yankee Conference. The YanCon in those days was closer to the MAAC today. In fact when Calhoun made some runs, there were commentators who noted that UConn had the most NCAA appearances of any team without a title. Of course then they would point out that most (at that time) were from the YanCon and you wouldn’t expect them to go too far. UConn won like 4 NCAA tournament games before Calhoun. Duke had been to multiple final fours and championship games. Which makes what Calhoun built even more amazing in some ways. The one time Duke and UConn met in the tournament before Calhoun, UConn had advanced to the Elite 8 with an upset of Princeton and Duke blew them out of the building by 50 points. That is probably a fair comparison of where the 2 programs were in the pecking order. Duke went on to lose to UCLA in the finals.

I’m not knocking what UConn did. They didn’t even think they were national player during the Yankee Conference years and they didn’t try to be a national player. In todays parlance they were a mid-major.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom