San Diego State Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

San Diego State Scouting Report

Reaction Score
We need to play anywhere else than Brooklyn. Depth seemed to be the issue shots. I think the boys feel more comfortable in Boston
Well, the old adage in college basketball is "shooting doesn't travel well", which I think is a major reason why teams who win in the NCAA Tournament tend to have multiple players who can create inside the arc.

Reaction Score
We need to play anywhere else than Brooklyn. Depth seemed to be the issue shots. I think the boys feel more comfortable in Boston
I wonder what the data is on shooting percentages in Brooklyn, just curious to find out if NBA teams shoot below their averages in Brooklyn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In the same game we struggled to hit threes we shot 81% from Two.
I'm not sure why nobody added in that NW was being overly concerned with threes even though it led to a number of uncontested layups. We never got into a rhythm shooting threes because of NW's defense. Our shooters weren't getting open, but it was at the cost (to NW) of leaving the lane wide open.

If we were shooting a few more threes early, the results from there may have been different. We took the guaranteed two over the contested three quite often early. It paid off.

Reaction Score
When we were focused in we held Northwestern to 18 points in the first half. That’s not bad defense.
Our defense is roughly equivalent (we're 8 and they're 9). Both are at 93.5.

Our offense is significantly better (2 to 53): 126.4 to 113.9.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the data is on shooting percentages in Brooklyn, just curious to find out if NBA teams shoot below their averages in Brooklyn.
Duke was 14-28 in their game

Reaction Score

So the question is will our offense shred their defense?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Our opposition has been considerably better. They have played a noticeable number of close games on both sides of the loss column. If Clingan can stay out of foul trouble, they haven’t seen a team close to us. Even without him. I do think
Johnson might have problems defending. But of course, you don’t win games on paper.

Reaction Score
So the question is will our offense shred their defense?

It doesn't have to shred it, it just has to do better than their (not nearly as good) offense is able to manage against our same level defense. I like our odds. Will probably be a lower scoring game, but I just don't see their so-so offense being able to put up enough points to hang over 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
Our opposition has been considerably better. They have played a noticeable number of close games on both sides of the loss column. If Clingan can stay out of foul trouble, they haven’t seen a team close to us. Even without him. I do think
Johnson might have problems defending. But of course, you don’t win games on paper.

I think these metrics take the level of opposition into account? So that's not a factor in these numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think these metrics take the level of opposition into account? So that's not a factor in these numbers. Correct me if I'm wrong...
They do. But as a practical matter, if we are anywhere near an A game, they will have to perform at the very top end of their ability to make it close with 5 minutes or less to go. UConn is #1 for a reason and I think most teams playing us for the first time have problems. I see our Seton Hall loss as an outlier in part because that’s the game DC was injured. And of course Richmond killed us. anyway, as I said, you don’t win on paper.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom