1. San Antonio
2. Washington
3. Dallas
4. LA (from Connecticut)

Let the speculation begin??

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that the top of the draft is unclear, Diamond likely will leave, and she may have the biggest upside. But is she coachable?

Let's see who emerges over 30+ games this season. I think both San Antonio and Seattle could use a big. Coates? Russell?

Though she is not what San Antonio needs, I like Walker-Kimbrough.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Diamond is in the draft SA will take her. If she is not then Nia Coffey or Jessica Jackson could be the pick.

Reaction Score
Of course a lot depends upon how college players do this upcoming season. But if DD is the top pick, I would see San Antonio using that pick as trade bait. I think they would look for a quality Big and perhaps a second pro player to help fill out their roster. Don't see that DD brings what they need. But then SA doesn't even have a coach yet...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Let the prognostications being, indeed. San Antontio, with GM Ruth Riley at the helm of her first draft, has a lot of needs and directions she can address:
- Bigs. Riley, of course, is a former big herself. Jayne Appel-Marinelli has retired. Alaina Coates wasn't the go-to (by any means) at SC, but she rebounded more than 10 rpg and has a defensive presence. Still, is she a #1?
- Scoring. Kmac went down last year and whoa, MoJeff had many more roles to fill. This ould be one reason they look at Diamond DeShields if she comes out. But, as brought up, does the new coach want her on board?
- Forwards. Monique Curry is 33, I believe. So CocoHusky's suggestions of Nia Coffey or Jessica Jackson (or someone that could emerge during the season) could make sense, too.

And there's always the trade option which OldAlum brought up. Just some early morning coffee ideas:
- Connecticut has no first-round pick. Maybe SA tries to get Jonquil Jones for the #1? Chiney Ogumwike did well this year...Jones could blossom with more PT.
- Indiana has the #8 and a slew of forward/centers that are not necessarily top tier but they need to address Catching's retirement. SA could approach this as a flip of the #1 and 8 and also get one of those forward/centers (Achonwa, Peters).

Having said that...let's see who and what pops up this year in WCBB.

Reaction Score
I agree that the top of the draft is unclear, Diamond likely will leave, and she may have the biggest upside. But is she coachable?

Let's see who emerges over 30+ games this season. I think both San Antonio and Seattle could use a big. Coates? Russell?

Though she is not what San Antonio needs, I like Walker-Kimbrough.
Would love to see Russell at 6 to Seattle, size and a defensive ability, can rebound, Ramu at the 4, and Stewie at the 3 a defensive nightmare for the league. Wouldn't be able to double Stewie, or attempt a box and 1. Russell would be able to score with that group, Sue, Jewell, and Stewie are good passers. KML off the bench for instant offense, Clark, and Langhorne would be more effective off the bench.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
South Carolina guards, Kaela Davis and Alisha Gray, could also opt to go early.

Reaction Score
So can Lexie Brown. :(

On a serious note, the Mystics needed Diamond Deshields really badly. She is the only player in this draft that has superstar potential and that is the one thing the Mystics don't have. This draft reminds me of the Angel McCoughtry, Melissa Coleman, Kristi Toliver draft. Only AM became a superstar. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mystics take Kelsey Plum.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1. San Antonio
2. Washington
3. Dallas
4. LA (from Connecticut)

Let the speculation begin??

OK, let's..............
I think this (based on need) is the best/fairest order of finish possible. The Stars need lots of help. They finished with the league's worst record of 7-27. Even though she tried, Moriah Jefferson was not able to put the team on her back, and carry them to the playoffs. They've got the #1 pick. They can choose anybody in WCBB coming out after this coming season. They can not afford to miss on this one. They struck gold selecting Jefferson with their first pick last year. I can't suggest who they take, they need help at every position. They need a BIG real bad!!! One more 7-27 season, and they can draft A'ja Wilson. :rolleyes:

They MUST do it again. IMO, the Stars are at least 4 players away from seriously competing for a championship. They need a roster that can match (talent wise) that of the Minnesota Lynx (28-6)/ The Los Angeles Sparks (26-8), because those are two of the teams they are going to have to beat to win it all. Not only are they NOT on that street yet, they are not even in the neighborhood. They must find some ballers, to start and come of the bench. The GM must find a way to make San Antonio a place where players want to go. Nobody wants to go to a "cellar dweller".

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't really love the idea of DD for San Antonio. I think they'd be better suited going for Alaina Coates, a physical big who can rebound and finish inside for maybe the worst post team in the league.

Reaction Score
Morgan shut Coates down 2 years in a row. Just imagine the 5s in the W. I like Brionna Jones with Mo. She needs to have better conditioning but has great moves around the basket, 15ft jumper and rebounds.

Reaction Score
I say SA trade with LA the number 1 pick for number 4 and Lavendar. They can get their post and draft high for more frontcourt help. If Diamond goes pro then LA can add youth to the LA's perimeter and create one of the most ridiculously athletic trios in women's basketball with Parker, Nneka and Diamond. LA has the rights to Tolo and a number of other veteran foreign players that are more likely to play next season with no Olympics going on.

Reaction Score
So can Lexie Brown. :(

On a serious note, the Mystics needed Diamond Deshields really badly. She is the only player in this draft that has superstar potential and that is the one thing the Mystics don't have. This draft reminds me of the Angel McCoughtry, Melissa Coleman, Kristi Toliver draft. Only AM became a superstar. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mystics take Kelsey Plum.

DD hasn't shown superstar potential yet... she's athletically gifted... but a superstar has so many more parts...
Everyone counted Becky Hammond out... yet she became a superstar... and she wasn't that athletically gifted...

Reaction Score
That's a likely scenario. Deshields could likely be the #1 overall pick. 2017 draft isn't terribly deep so the top picks could be anyone or best player!
Two well-coached, top players from programs that emphasize TEAM and a Prima Donna? Doesn't say much for chemistry.

Maybe someone will have a breakout, this year. I'd rather not see Bon-Bon and McBride saddled with that baggage.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
JJ was a STEAL for what the Sun gave up to get her. Might have been the best move the team has EVER made. I don't see them trading Prime Rib for a selection of cold-cuts.

Great line :cool:, and the insight is probably right, too.I'm a huge fan of JJ and advocated for several teams to take her last year based on her career at George Washington.

If CT. management believes the spread open to them are buffet items, bronze that line and don't go there. If not, use your surplus at center to get the the #1 pick and procure a certain player.

Of course, I wrote this from SA's perspective and think JJ would flourish playing with MoJeff.
In the long run, I think you're probably right and SA keeps the pick. They need a big, though. Will keep track of Coates' season.

Reaction Score
You can't teach big, strong and 6'5".....and that's what Coates is. As much as I like Dawn, I think she is more of a players coach than an actual coach. I don't think her X's and O's are that great and I think that's some of the reason that Coates often looks the way she does.

However, if I'm SA, I'm taking DeShields. She, IMO, has superstar potential, but has also played for two relatively inept offensive coaches. She's good. Really, really good.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wait.

Good (for Moriah) that San Antonio has the pick.

But as the season unfolds, it will become clearer who are the likely candidates.
Pretty murky now.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You can't teach big, strong and 6'5".....and that's what Coates is. As much as I like Dawn, I think she is more of a players coach than an actual coach. I don't think her X's and O's are that great and I think that's some of the reason that Coates often looks the way she does.

However, if I'm SA, I'm taking DeShields. She, IMO, has superstar potential, but has also played for two relatively inept offensive coaches. She's good. Really, really good.

No doubt DeShields would help the Stars. DeShields imo, is very similar to Angel McCaughtry. She gives you attitude, but she also gives you points. McCaughtry also gives you effort, I'm not so sure Diamond gives you effort 100% of the time. We'll see. I completely agree that the Stars are in desperate need of a good (not descent) post player. Good post players are always in demand, but are in short supply.

I'd try to get the post player first, even if I had to trade the #1 pick. I'd have to get a post similar to Elizabeth Williams or Sylvia Fowls. Otherwise, I'd wait until next year, unless there is a "can't miss BIG" coming out this year. You've got Mo, and McBride will be back next year. I'd also try and get one more established FA wing that can shoot and play some defense, a balla.

Next year, I'd focus on more wings that can score/play defense. Get a good post player now, and build around her. It's going to take 2-3 more years of careful, logical and intelligent drafting and free agent selections before the Stars can seriously compete for a championship. Rome was not built in a day. We'll see if Ruth Riley knows what she's doing.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
JJ was a STEAL for what the Sun gave up to get her. Might have been the best move the team has EVER made. I don't see them trading Prime Rib for a selection of cold-cuts.

Then their worst ever move may be taking Banham instead of Jones and needing to trade Chelsea Gray and this year's #4 overall for her.

If Jones is prime rib, what does that make the players who made the all-rookie team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom