Samuelson vs. Ekmark | The Boneyard

Samuelson vs. Ekmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Compare and contrast the game of Katy Lou Samuelson to Courtney Ekmark. (And Ann Strother for that matter.)

They all seem very similar to me. Can you envision Ekmark and Samuelson on the court at the same time?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It would certainly help to have more distance shooting on the court to compensate for the graduation of one Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

Both KLS and Courtney are also positively adorable and will be great on a billboard for UConn WBB together, as well as on the court together.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Samuelson is more diverse offensively and a better athlete. I was surprised by Geno's comments calling KLS a big guard. Offensively, that doesn't mean much because she can play around the perimeter regardless of label, but defensively is another story. Then again, they're going to have so much versatility that she might still guard slower wings anyway.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno is once again, ahead of his peers, recruiting players who can play multiple positions.

Della Dome would have been the first but that was not to be. So we have Stewie who can play the 3, the 4 and the 5 positions. We already know Stewie is a nightmare for the opposition. I believe Katy Lou is going to be the same type of nightmare for the opposition.

Ekmark is a different type of player. Definitely a 3 and maybe a 4. She is a very good shooter from outside the arc. It looks like she will develop an inside game off the dribble.

So both could and probably will be on the court at the same time.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Funny how you question Geno.

KLS is a completely different player, even for USA she played 1 through 4, she is very smart defensively, uses her length, creates turnovers and understands angles particularly when trapping.

But I guess you will just dwell on her with an injury and an illness ;)

Reaction Score
Funny how you question Geno.

KLS is a completely different player, even for USA she played 1 through 4, she is very smart defensively, uses her length, creates turnovers and understands angles particularly when trapping.

But I guess you will just dwell on her with an injury and an illness ;)

I'm confused. Which post is this a response to ?

Reaction Score
Though I don't always agree with Slu, I wouldn't discount his opinions entirely. He usually has good insights into a players abilities.
FWIW. I was somewhat surprised that Geno called her a big guard too.

Reaction Score
Geno's always appreciated versatility. Lobo came in as a 5, but her ability and willingness to move over to the 4 played a huge role in putting this team on the map. Among others Swin, DT and Maya have all played and excelled at multiple positions.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
KLS has demonstrated more diversity in her game than Courtney at this point and probably has more upside than Courtney, but I expect both to be major players as their careers develop. Geno has called Courtney perhaps the greatest pure shooter he has ever recruited. As fans we may suffer a loss or two going forward, but we are in for one magical ride over the next 4 years.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou will one day be one of the all-time UConn greats. However, she will not be as dominant as Breanna. She'll never be the shot blocker, rebounder, and all-around threat that Breanna is. You will not see her at the rim tipping a ball back in, nor will you see her sprint the length of the court and drill a shot out of bounds. She will be one of the greats, just not Breanna. It will be fun watching them play together next year, along with Moriah, Morgan, Natalie, Saniya, Kia, Courtney, Gabby, Sadie, De'Janae, and Napheesa.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that Geno recruited Courtney to replace KML, with Collier (who is a natural three) to provide a second option in case she didn't develop. Samuelson was most likely recruited to replace Stewart, so there was probably no intention initially for them ever to be competing for time. HOWEVER, that was before Natalie Butler just fell unexpectedly into their laps, which of course could necessitate some rethinking of those plans. To further complicate matters (everyone should have such complications!), Morgan is looking like she is fully recovered and might end up the best option to play the four for her senior year after Stewie graduates. Katie is the best player in high school basketball, so she is going to play serious minutes somewhere; that might be at the three initially, or even at the two (in addition to backing up Stewie at the four). If she receives her major minutes at the three, then this thread title suddenly has major validity. Eventually, though, she is going to play the four; her game matches that position.

Reaction Score
Where did I question Geno? I said I was surprised by his comment.

I didn't read that you questioned Geno either. And I agreed with you regarding Geno referring to her as a guard and what they'd do on defense.

Reaction Score
Morgan is looking like she is fully recovered and might end up the best option to play the four for her senior year after Stewie graduates.

I'm of the mirotiy opinion but I think Morgam is going to leave with the palyers she came in with - BS and MoJeff. I happen to think she is going to be super dynamite next year thus will look forward taking the next step of pro ball. OFC my opinion would chnage if she gets hurt or doesn't become as good as I believe she will be.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm of the mirotiy opinion but I think Morgam is going to leave with the palyers she came in with - BS and MoJeff. I happen to think she is going to be super dynamite next year thus will look forward taking the next step of pro ball. OFC my opinion would chnage if she gets hurt or doesn't become as good as I believe she will be.
FWIW I disagree but here's why...

First, Morgan gets a free ride while she's at UCONN. Second, she gets to travel all over the place on the University's dime. Third, She can work on her masters if she's here for a 5th year. Fourth, I think UCONN is like a magic bubble and very very few kids leave before their entire eligibility runs out. Lastly, I could see Diamond leaving Tennessee early way before Morgan...

The lastly part was just an aside - i was trying to think of kids who have left early (Parker) or kids who I think very likely to (DD)...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm confused. Which post is this a response to ?
Same here?
During the US National team games, several posters made many comments on KLS' defense. So much so that it seemed like almost every post was about her defense.

What I took away from her Team USA play was that she soldiered through a bout of Strep Throat (I think it was that) as well as an injured ankle. The ankle was so injured that they weren't sure if she was going to be able to play in the 3x3 championships a few weeks later. She did miss the first few games but came on strong when she finally was healed.

Her defense was no worse than other players who were continually beaten by their opponents, which is why have help defense in the first place. She was often playing the 1 or 2 against much quicker opponents when she's more of a 3 (oh, and did I mention she was injured).

Additionally my take away's were that I was stunned the coach had her playing the 1 much of the time - apparently because KLS was better at making the 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th reads on offense when the first play didn't work. And that she is a 3 point shooter that may rival KML before her career is done at UCONN. Lastly, as chrisarran pointed out, I think she will be one of the all time greats at UCONN. Probably not in the same realm as Stewie, Dee, and Maya, but certainly at least as good as KML.

Reaction Score
FWIW I disagree but here's why...

First, Morgan gets a free ride while she's at UCONN. Second, she gets to travel all over the place on the University's dime. Third, She can work on her masters if she's here for a 5th year. Fourth, I think UCONN is like a magic bubble and very very few kids leave before their entire eligibility runs out. Lastly, I could see Diamond leaving Tennessee early way before Morgan...

The lastly part was just an aside - i was trying to think of kids who have left early (Parker) or kids who I think very likely to (DD)...

Morgan's knees still have to be a concern. IMO she'll take the opportuntity of a liftime - becoming a pro while she can. No need to "double down" that 1 extra year. She could travel all around the world adter the WNBA season and still work on her masters. But imo her masters is hoop. So few players do leave UCONN imo because the ones that could leave were that were redshirted wern't going to be much of a pro if a pro at all.

Reaction Score
During the US National team games, several posters made many comments on KLS' defense. So much so that it seemed like almost every post was about her defense.

What I took away from her Team USA play was that she soldiered through a bout of Strep Throat (I think it was that) as well as an injured ankle. The ankle was so injured that they weren't sure if she was going to be able to play in the 3x3 championships a few weeks later. She did miss the first few games but came on strong when she finally was healed.

Her defense was no worse than other players who were continually beaten by their opponents, which is why have help defense in the first place. She was often playing the 1 or 2 against much quicker opponents when she's more of a 3 (oh, and did I mention she was injured).

Additionally my take away's were that I was stunned the coach had her playing the 1 much of the time - apparently because KLS was better at making the 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th reads on offense when the first play didn't work. And that she is a 3 point shooter that may rival KML before her career is done at UCONN. Lastly, as chrisarran pointed out, I think she will be one of the all time greats at UCONN. Probably not in the same realm as Stewie, Dee, and Maya, but certainly at least as good as KML.

I stil don't see why he made reference to slu. Slu didn't say anything negative imo other than imply that may have trouble defending quicker players at the wing. IMO not a negative post.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Morgan's knees still have to be a concern. IMO she'll take the opportuntity of a liftime - becoming a pro while she can. No need to "double down" that 1 extra year. She could travel all around the world adter the WNBA season and still work on her masters. But imo her masters is hoop. So few players do leave UCONN imo because the ones that could leave were that were redshirted wern't going to be much of a pro if a pro at all.
You may be right. We will know if 2 years what she decides to do!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It would certainly help to have more distance shooting on the court to compensate for the graduation of one Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

Both KLS and Courtney are also positively adorable and will be great on a billboard for UConn WBB together, as well as on the court together.

Are they more adorable that Nurse, Williams and Edwards? They look pretty adorable, also.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think there are similarities between Ek and Lou, but also some noticeable differences.

The similarity is that both are stellar shooters. Lou shot 54% from the arc and 84% from the line. I think that Courtney shoots FTs at about a 90% clip. Both are on a short list of great shooters with Kaleena, Maya, Elena, and a few others.

I see Ek as a taller version of Mel Thomas. Maybe a little more athletic, but a bit less gritty. She doesn't have the size or versatility of Lou. Geno wants her to broaden her game, so she's not just a Katie Rutan or Laurie Koehn. She's a highly ranked player and a winner. Courtney is also a great student and excellent tennis player.

Lou is a very highly ranked player, maybe a taller version of Kaleena or a slightly shorter version of EDD. She's also a winner. She can play at least 3 positions, maybe 4. She also has a broader repertoire of shots. She's at least 3" taller than Courtney.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

Nicole Wolfe passed up an extra year of eligibility to graduate with her incoming class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom