Samuelson Sisters check in. Article and Podcast | The Boneyard

Samuelson Sisters check in. Article and Podcast

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Karlie Samuelson remembers the exact moment when she realized her younger sister, Katie Lou, was better than her at basketball.

During a game her senior year (Katie Lou’s sophomore year) of high school at Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, Calif., Karlie was dribbling down the floor with nobody on her on a 2-on-2 fast-break.
“I throw it up to Lou with two people on her and she scores," Karlie recalled on the UConn Insider podcast. "And I was like, ‘Yeah, she’s better than me.'”

I guess we got the right Samuelson.:D

The Samuelson sisters discuss what it’s been like living in quarantine in California (4:00); their earliest memories of playing together (5:40); the decision-making process that led them to their respective college programs (10:00); being recruited by each other’s coaches (11:45); the differences between Geno Auriemma and Tara VanDerveer (13:00); how they helped each other grow as players (14:30) and navigate the life of a student-athlete (16:00); the Cardinal’s streak-ending win over the Huskies in 2014 (17:45); their memories of the 2017 Final Four (19:20); and more.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Finally got a chance to listen.

Besides the sisterly love (Karlie in particular is so devoted to Lou, it is amazing), I enjoyed their analysis of the differences betwen Geno and Tara by both Lou and Karlie

1) Geno focuses much more on his own team and less on what the other team can do.
2) Tara is focued more on scouting the other team

Did not know Karlie wants to go into coaching and is very grateful to be able to pick the brains of Geno and Tara

Reaction Score
I don't remember the particulars, but I read a while back that Karlie is an assistant coach at a small college near their home in CA and she is enrolled in a Masters program at another college near their home.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it and like Alexa's writing, but I thought her questions were meandering and extremely wordy.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I don't remember the particulars, but I read a while back that Karlie is an assistant coach at a small college near their home in CA and she is enrolled in a Masters program at another college near their home.
Karlie did some coaching at Vanguard Univ/NAIA and did her Masters I think at Concordia Univ. Both are in Orange County.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it and like Alexa's writing, but I thought her questions were meandering and extremely wordy.

I actually thought it was well done for a feel good piece. A pretty good selection of questions from HS, College, Pros. and the family. I want more Alexa. Get Paige and Azzi next. ;)

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Did not know Karlie wants to go into coaching and is very grateful to be able to pick the brains of Geno and Tara
FWIW, there's been a lot of speculation on the Stanford board that when the Stanford hiring freeze ends, Karlie may be in the running for the assistant coach position that opened up at Stanford when Lindy LaRocque took the head coach position at UNLV. (Which will also depend on whether she's still expecting to be playing in the W for long-term.)

Really interesting that Karlie is close with both Geno and Tara. I definitely get the sense that while Karlie was not as physically talented as Lou, Karlie has many of the traits that Geno loves in a player.

Finally, and I'm clearly preaching to the choir here, but I loved how Karlie went out of her way to note and articulate the pressure UConn players bear given all the media scrutiny, the massive rooting for UConn to lose, etc. The Samuelsons are models of how to be both competitive and supportive siblings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would like to hear father Jon for 15-20 minutes. I'm sure he has some interesting insight through his three daughters time in college basketball. He's a very private person, sure he's been asked and declined.

Reaction Score
First off, greatly appreciate the sharing of the podcast. Pretty decent interview. Great questions and loved that the sisters got the chance to answer questions without being cut off. Secondly, I really hope that things work out for them in Dallas.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I would like to hear father Jon for 15-20 minutes. I'm sure he has some interesting insight through his three daughters time in college basketball. He's a very private person, sure he's been asked and declined.
Father Jon is a great guy. He often would watch games from the back row, in arenas or gyms, where nobody was. When I went to Pac 12 Tournament in Seattle the first place I would look for him was the end of the arena where Stanford was shooting. He did interviews for Holly on ESPN, but I dont recall many times where he was interviewed on radio or tv.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Hmmm ... I didn't realize that Karlie has decided to pursue basketball coaching as a career. If Jamelle decides not to return to the UConn bench, that raises an interesting possibility ...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I actually thought it was well done for a feel good piece. A pretty good selection of questions from HS, College, Pros. and the family. I want more Alexa. Get Paige and Azzi next. ;)
I enjoyed the podcast, but thought Alexa’s questions were extremely rambling. I’d like to see her write them down and stick to the script.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Finally got a chance to listen.

Besides the sisterly love (Karlie in particular is so devoted to Lou, it is amazing), I enjoyed their analysis of the differences betwen Geno and Tara by both Lou and Karlie

1) Geno focuses much more on his own team and less on what the other team can do.
2) Tara is focued more on scouting the other team

No surprise there. Tara is one of the best at scouting and prepping for specific opponents where Geno has always seemed primarily concerned with what his team is doing above all else. Different styles, both have been extremely effective.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Also, I don't think Karlie has aged at all in the last 6 years or so. She's cheating.

Reaction Score
Hmmm ... I didn't realize that Karlie has decided to pursue basketball coaching as a career. If Jamelle decides not to return to the UConn bench, that raises an interesting possibility ...
No it doesn’t.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Follow up article on the Samuelsons

Karlie is one of a kind.

“I’m so excited for what she’s about to do at Dallas," Karlie said. “I hope that we have a season, and whether we do or not, I’m very excited about it because I know how good she is. And I know that she’s going to kill it in the WNBA.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The WNBA - this article underscores what has been said before. It is a tough place to play unless you are superstar untouchable. Give Karlie a lot of credit for digging in. Hope she's right about Lou's play in Dallas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom