Samson Johnson aims to turn potential to production | The Boneyard

Samson Johnson aims to turn potential to production

Reaction Score
“He just knows more about the game,” Hurley said. “You can look at a guy’s physical talent and that’s one thing. [He is] a graceful athlete at almost 6-10, as graceful an athlete you almost can be at that size. But you have to understand where you should be and what your responsibilities are at both ends of the court and on the backboard relative to the nine other players. You have to also be able to absorb scouting reports. You have to be able to absorb situational basketball. And it’s a lot for a guy who’s been in the country for, this will be his fourth year.”

Alternate free link:

Reaction Score
“He just knows more about the game,” Hurley said. “You can look at a guy’s physical talent and that’s one thing. [He is] a graceful athlete at almost 6-10, as graceful an athlete you almost can be at that size. But you have to understand where you should be and what your responsibilities are at both ends of the court and on the backboard relative to the nine other players. You have to also be able to absorb scouting reports. You have to be able to absorb situational basketball. And it’s a lot for a guy who’s been in the country for, this will be his fourth year.”

Alternate free link:
Hard to know what to take from that quote. Those last few sentences make it seem like Hurley thinks he's still pretty raw.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hard to know what to take from that quote. Those last few sentences make it seem like Hurley thinks he's still pretty raw.
My understanding is that was where Samson was coming to UConn and why he didn't get much playing time last season. First sentence and title indicates Hurley believes he understands team play much better.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that was where Samson was coming to UConn and why he didn't get much playing time last season. First sentence and title indicates Hurley believes he understands team play much better.
Yeah, that's what has me kind of confused about the quote. I'm hoping your reading is correct, that he's referring to prior year Samson in those last few sentences.

Reaction Score
"Hurley said Johnson will be allowed to play through mistakes, particularly in early-season non-conference games. "

I sure hope so. Would be great to use the cupcakes for more than just amassing points with veteran's in a blow out win.

Reaction Score
This article and the boneyard response confirms one thing about this upcoming season:
We have zero clue if this team will be bad or great. I miss the feeling of entering a season as a feared entity ready to crush all comers.
Will this become the annual thing with the transfer portals dominance? 50/50 year in/year out?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah it's hard to read into DH's comments he seems to contradict himself in not only this latest but vs what he has said in past references. But that's DH and he, whether planned or not, likes to keep people guessing and head scratching. It's his style.

Reaction Score
In reading the entire article, including that first sentence which leads into the whole quote, I think it puts into context that he's talking about Johnson's struggles to grasp things last year.

Some of you would do terrible on the reading comprehension section of the SAT. Lol

Reaction Score
This article and the boneyard response confirms one thing about this upcoming season:
We have zero clue if this team will be bad or great. I miss the feeling of entering a season as a feared entity ready to crush all comers.
Will this become the annual thing with the transfer portals dominance? 50/50 year in/year out?

I would be absolutely shocked if we turned out to be "bad". I think it's more of not sure if we will be "just good", "very good", or a Final Four contender

Reaction Score
In reading the entire article, including that first sentence which leads into the whole quote, I think it puts into context that he's talking about Johnson's struggles to grasp things last year.

Some of you would do terrible on the reading comprehension section of the SAT. Lol
The site is blocked for me at work so I can't read the entire article but thanks for providing your massive brain to the board. Definitely nothing unclear about how Hurley worded the quote that was posted here.

Reaction Score
The site is blocked for me at work so I can't read the entire article but thanks for providing your massive brain to the board. Definitely nothing unclear about how Hurley worded the quote that was posted here.
They won't let you read the New Haven Register or printfriendly? But they'll let you read the Boneyard? What kind of place do you work for?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No

Reaction Score
A pattern I may be noticing about DH quotes. Early season and quotes during the season are optimistic. Maybe too optimistic. Post season quotes more realistic, critical, direct, etc....

I think we are in the optimistic phase of DH quotes.

Reaction Score
I would be absolutely shocked if we turned out to be "bad". I think it's more of not sure if we will be "just good", "very good", or a Final Four contender
Correct. I didn't mean "bad" bad. I meant bad for us. Which is no tourney

Reaction Score
Not at all true. The team has the favorite for Big East player of the year and two other guys who are supposed to be all league selections surrounded by a lot of versatility and size. We should have a good read on how good this team will be.
What do you think their highest ranking will be? Rough regular season record? I'm asking sincerely, not rhetorically.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Samson will be a good piece off the bench. He will have trouble taking minutes from Karaban, that guy is the real deal.
Nothing wishy-washy in this post, credit for taking a stand. I'm rooting for you to be right.

Reaction Score
I would be so content if Johnson takes and makes a reasonable amount of corner 3's, runs the baseline and uses his 7'4" wingspan to rebound and deter shots. If he can do that, he will be productive whether he starts or not.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I really want Samson to start and hope he does early season. I think the team’s potential is highest if he plays starter minutes.
Agreed. He's the best chance this team has at really being special. Can make UConn a nightmare to play. Sounds like Hurley realizes that.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Agree about last year. We already have seen these quotes. AJ though seems to continue to press Sam’s defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom