Sampson (Kelvin not Ralph) to Houston? | The Boneyard

Sampson (Kelvin not Ralph) to Houston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It does appear a few AAC schools are looking to upgrade in basketball cache... asap. Get in the top 5 area and get a possible ncaa bid.

Reaction Score
@nelsonmuntz - As @nomar said, looks like some of these AAC teams are making the upgrade. We already know Memphis-UConn-Cincy-Temple care. SMU put money where their mouth is when they hired Brown. UCF has a "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'" attitude for basketball. And now two other weak teams make strong hires.

Kelvin Sampson to Houston is huge. He recruited these areas at Oklahoma, so he has connections...and his background is shady enough that the real big players aren't really going to be looking for him. At least for a while. With the talent Houston has in the city, they could be really good in 2-3 years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kelvin Sampson is virtually untouchable by any major program. I think it is a good hire, because he is not going anywhere unless he is extremely successful.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Was Bruce Pearl virtually untouchable?

Reaction Score
Was Bruce Pearl virtually untouchable?

Yes, hence why Auburn hired him and no major program would. To say Auburn is a major program in basketball because they are big time football would be like saying UConn football is big time football because of basketball.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yes, hence why Auburn hired him and no major program would. To say Auburn is a major program in basketball because they are big time football would be like saying UConn football is big time football because of basketball.

I see some moving of the goalposts here. Nelson stated earlier that no "Big East" team would hire AAC coaches like Stan Heath or Donnie Jones. I would submit that certain Big East teams would in fact hire Sampson or Pearl.

Now Nelson (and you) is using the term "major program." Who are you talking about: Duke? UNC? Auburn is an SEC school. They've been to the NCAA tournament numerous times (last time in 2003). They have the money and facilities. They don't have great history but the platform is there for Pearl to succeed, and I think he will.

Reaction Score
I see some moving of the goalposts here. Nelson stated earlier that no "Big East" team would hire AAC coaches like Stan Heath or Donnie Jones. I would submit that certain Big East teams would in fact hire Sampson or Pearl.

Now Nelson (and you) is using the term "major program." Who are you talking about: Duke? UNC? Auburn is an SEC school. They've been to the NCAA tournament numerous times (last time in 2003). They have the money and facilities. They don't have great history but the platform is there for Pearl to succeed, and I think he will.

I have no clue what was happening in previous arguments. I was solely responding to your question in this thread. Coaches that have any sort of violations/ sketchy histories will have trouble landing a job at a top basketball school that has a great fan base who care a lot about the teams success and consistently makes the NCAA tournament. Auburn has about .500 winning percentage over their last 25 years, which includes cupcake games. So when they play decent teams they lose A LOT. Again, UConn has great football practice facilities, a nice new stadium, and went to a BCS bowl game a few years ago. I would love it if UConn was even considered close to being a major program, but they are not.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I have no clue what was happening in previous arguments. I was solely responding to your question in this thread. Coaches that have any sort of violations/ sketchy histories will have trouble landing a job at a top basketball school that has a great fan base who care a lot about the teams success and consistently makes the NCAA tournament. Auburn has about .500 winning percentage over their last 25 years, which includes cupcake games. So when they play decent teams they lose A LOT. Again, UConn has great football practice facilities, a nice new stadium, and went to a BCS bowl game a few years ago. I would love it if UConn was even considered close to being a major program, but they are not.

Right, you have no clue what was happening in a previous argument and you're beating the heck out of the strawman argument that UConn is a major football program. Is there someone out there disagreeing with you on that?

I'm also not arguing that Auburn is a SUPER AWESOME BASKETBALL PROGRAM. They're a high-major team, though, right? Or did they get transferred to the MWC when I wasn't looking?

I explained the context in my previous post (and see that my question over what constitutes a "major program" went unanswered) so I'll just leave it at that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Right, you have no clue what was happening in a previous argument and you're beating the heck out of the strawman argument that UConn is a major football program. Is there someone out there disagreeing with you on that?

I'm also not arguing that Auburn is a SUPER AWESOME BASKETBALL PROGRAM. They're a high-major team, though, right? Or did they get transferred to the MWC when I wasn't looking?

I explained the context in my previous post (and see that my question over what constitutes a "major program" went unanswered) so I'll just leave it at that.
They are a major program, but not a traditional power.

Reaction Score

Auburn has been absolutely terrible at basketball and there is potential for the SEC to look even worse now that there are 7 conferences each year that can be better than them. That doesn't include the MWC. The reason I made the UConn comparison is to just make sure there is no chance anyone can argue that Auburn basketball is considered good/major/ big time just because their football team has had success and competes in the SEC for football. This doesn't mean that Pearl cannot have success at Auburn, but that the job right now is no where near major/ big time or an ideal job for any coach that is not a young up and coming coach that is using it as a stepping stone. UConn football is the same thing. Hence why UConn just hired one of the rising stars in college football coaching, but will leave in 3-4 years if he has success.

The UConn football to Auburn basketball comparison is extremely good in my opinion. Both play in a conference that is likely to be the 5th-or 6th best conference each year, sports facilities are very good, a fanbase that supports sports, winning tradition in sports at the school, but very little national success on the field for UConn or court for Auburn.

If by high major you mean anyone in the top 150 of college basketball programs, than they are.

Reaction Score
Coaches that have any sort of violations/ sketchy histories will have trouble landing a job at a top basketball school that has a great fan base who care a lot about the teams success and consistently makes the NCAA tournament.

This guy says Hi.

MBSK%2009_10%20UK_USC%20Web%2005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member