Same pattern, they have open shots, we take contested shots. | The Boneyard

Same pattern, they have open shots, we take contested shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm completely at a loss why this team is so bad. It's not youth, we have a lot of experienced players. We are playing lousy teams and they are dominating us.

We constantly lose guys on defense and give up wide open shots. That's bad enough. But our offense almost never gets us an open look. With the exception of the pick an roll I can't discern any plays. Even worse, last night, coming out of a TO, we just ran into a packed middle and turned the ball over. It's like no one ever played basketball before.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We just have a very low basketball IQ as a collective. Gilbert trying to throw the lob and turning it over 3 times just dumb basketball.

Reaction Score
The coach doesn't know how to run an offense unless it involves running...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The coach doesn't know how to run an offense unless it involves running...
Is the coach allowed to handle to ball when the clock is running?

Northeastern only shot 36% but it seemed like they hit 96% of their open shots and 17 offensive rebounds didn't hurt either. After they scored they settled back into their zone, and while UConn was quick in gaining 72 feet of court space, The zone clogged the last 18 feet to the hoop. The fast break is the best way to beat the zone, but when it is already set up, UConn has got to learn how to beat it without a consistent outside shot.

Reaction Score
Is the coach allowed to handle to ball when the clock is running?

Northeastern only shot 36% but it seemed like they hit 96% of their open shots and 17 offensive rebounds didn't hurt either. After they scored they settled back into their zone, and while UConn was quick in gaining 72 feet of court space, The zone clogged the last 18 feet to the hoop. The fast break is the best way to beat the zone, but when it is already set up, UConn has got to learn how to beat it without a consistent outside shot.

That brings me to my question last night: What does this team do in practice?

Reaction Score
That brings me to my question last night: What does this team do in practice?
Not sure what they do in practice but today they should spend 100% of their time doing box out drills. Over and over and over again. Ollie needs to get these guys pushing and fighting each other to get the ball. needs to teach toughness. It all starts there and then he needs to work on their half court offense and defensive rotations.

Reaction Score
Not sure what they do in practice but today they should spend 100% of their time doing box out drills. Over and over and over again. Ollie needs to get these guys pushing and fighting each other to get the ball. needs to teach toughness. It all starts there and then he needs to work on their half court offense and defensive rotations.

I think he spends half the practice telling the players they are family and to love each other

Reaction Score
Ollie deserves criticism for sure but I think some of you are dead wrong about how he acts with the players. You seem to think he is buddies with these guys and is constantly acting like their friends instead of their coach. I have heard that isn't true at all. He is hard on them, demanding, sometimes mean etc.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Could it be that a team which predominantly plays man-to-man D also practices predominantly vs man-to-man? If so, maybe we should play more zone D in practice, so we don't look clueless against it in games.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Could it be that a team which predominantly plays man-to-man D also practices predominantly vs man-to-man? If so, maybe we should play more zone D in practice, so we don't look clueless against it in games.

Let me extrapolate, as it reminded me of something I thought about last night.

Are we so bad at defending the 3 because we can't shoot the 3 so in practice guys cheat off shooters and that carries to games?

Do we have success with post players in practice offensively because our post players play at a weak level defensively, so we then t think that will translate into game success but in real games our guys fumble passes, miss layups and generally cant work in space?

Reaction Score
Ollie deserves criticism for sure but I think some of you are dead wrong about how he acts with the players. You seem to think he is buddies with these guys and is constantly acting like their friends instead of their coach. I have heard that isn't true at all. He is hard on them, demanding, sometimes mean etc.

KO? That you?

Reaction Score
We get plenty of open looks we just pass them up in favor of out of control one on one play late in shot clock
Early in the game, this happened a lot. Moving the ball way too much and rushing at the end of the shot clock.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Early in Throughout the game, this happened a lot. Moving the ball way too much and rushing at the end of the shot clock.
FIFY. No one other than Vance Jackson was confident in their own shot. Northeastern was virtually daring Larrier to shoot from beyond the arch. Not one defender was threatened by his triple threat positioning.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Ollie's wants to run pro sets, a lot of isolation and one or one. Last year we did not have the personel with which to do this. This year we do, but roles aren't defined yet. As short term solution, Ollie to use more traditional half court sets to give the kids a chance to calm down and get results when they get out of sync.

JMHO

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Alarming number of wide open shots allowed for the other team through 2 games.
A big issue when defending is in pick-and-roll... our team can't decide whether or not we switch on the perimeter or if we work around screens and stay with their guy. A majority of wide open looks have come from miscommunications resulting from that... one may switch while another sticks with the same guy, or vice versa.

Also, Larrier is slow-footed on defense... he can't rely on his length. Also, I've seen Gilbert, Adams, and Purvis all getting caught ball-watching on defense.

Just all-around terrible defense. Can't remember EVER seeing this from players in UConn uniforms. JC would have had a stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom