Salt Lake Tribune says BYU to Big East in day or two | The Boneyard

Salt Lake Tribune says BYU to Big East in day or two

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
They had a link to the full story on the SLC paper's website, but it's been taken down I think.

Great news if true!...

Reaction Score
I won't believe this until I see it. Don't really see any reason for BYU to make this move, especially this soon after declaring their independence.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Three major reasons for BYU to do this:

* AQ Status
* Proselytize the east coast/Florida
* $$$

Not necessarily in that order...

Reaction Score
The middle one is the key for them. BYU left the MWC because its games there were too regionalized for what is the national Mormon university. Joining the Big East gets it games in the West, Texas, Florida, lower midwest and northeast. That is going to be very attractive to BYU.

I'm not sure that $ will be better -- we'll see. Obviously, AQ status is a big positive, but who knows what they know about how likely it is to be retained (or even relevant) in a few years.

Reaction Score
If true not only has the Big East conference survived the recent defections but it has become a much stronger football conference. The first truly national football conference, which may prove to be a strength not a weakness.

For football:

BYU and Boise > Syracuse and Pitt

Houston = TCU (plus Houston has better hoops)

Did the Big East just add better football schools than the ACC? Are we gaining football ground on the ACC? How frustrating that thought must be for them.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
If true not only has the Big East conference survived the recent defections but it has become a much stronger football conference. The first truly national football conference, which may prove to be a strength not a weakness.

For football:

Did the Big East just add better football schools than the ACC? Are we gaining football ground on the ACC? How frustrating that thought must be for them.
+1

Reaction Score
This would be a nice development. BYU and Boise, AFA and Navy, SMU and UH? To that I would add two more western schools. 8 east, 8 west. Or 7 and 7, plus two crossover games, one western trip per year. UNLV would be nice. Or SDSU. Both very nice trips, almost bowl games in and of themselves. I was just out to La Jolla last month. Truly stunning. I mean Beverly Hills on the water. 15 minutes from SDSU.

Reaction Score
How is Houston=TCU?

It's all subjective but they sell out all of their games and they are building a new stadium. TCU might be in for a rude awakening when they start playing the big boys in the big 12. Houston however could be the team to beat in the Big East.

Reaction Score
This was the key. Without a western team, no Boise. No Boise, no way remaining BE members can take expansion seriously, which in turn means no service academies.

UConn
Rutgers
USNA
Louisville
South Florida
UCF

Houston
SMU
AFA
Boise
BYU
Cinci

This league looks at least respectable. If you added just Boise, BYU and Navy I would say there was overall better teams than what we have now albeit with less history behind those names. I think 12 is the way to go especially if in the future they decide to remove Automatic Qualifying status. SMU over Temple feels better to me since Texas is more fervent about football than the Northeast and SMU has big donors.

Also is BYU football only? Would have been awesome to see Kemba mop the floor with Jimmer.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It all subjective but they sell out all of their games and they are building a new stadium. TCU might be in for a rude awakening when they start playing the big boys in the big 12.

I don't see how it's subjective that TCU's football team has been better than Houston's. Not like it matters anyway. I guess I understand why AFA would join if Navy joined, I don't really get why Navy wants to join.

Reaction Score
Everything about Houston changes if Sumlin gets hired away from there.

Reaction Score

For football:

Do you remember mocking me and calling me names for saying the Big East should be going after BYU and Boise St? I do. ;)

Reaction Score
Everything about Houston changes if Sumlin gets hired away from there.
Unless and until they find any one of the dozens of other coaches capable of fielding a competitive BCS program.

Reaction Score
TCU>Houston. If we could have pulled off this move with TCU still in the conference I would have been very excited. I like the moves, they're necessary and realistically about the best we could hope for. But TCU won the Rose Bowl last year, that would have been a huge boost for our poor image.

Reaction Score
If BYU comes aboard, then let's make a true Western division. Let's have eight East Coast and eight west coast teams. I say drop Navy and replace them with East Carolina. Navy is not going to be able to become bowl eligible in this conference. They are better off as an independent.

Reaction Score
I understand the 16 team idea but considering the teams available, I just dont see how the per team value could be larger than a 12 team league, especially since those 4 extra teams will probably hurt out BCS credibility more than help it. This becomes even more problematic if the BCS automatic qualifying status idea is dropped altogether or if the Big East loses its AQ status. If there is one thing realignment has taught us it is to prepare for the future reality, than plan for the current. Even in a scenario where there is one day a playoff 12 is better than 16.

Reaction Score
Do you remember mocking me and calling me names for saying the Big East should be going after BYU and Boise St? I do. ;)

Nope, you have the wrong person.

On 9/17 the day after the first Pitt / Cuse leaving rumor was announced I started a thread titled "The Big East should add Boise State" You can look it up, page 37 on the main football forum.

Reaction Score
Nope, you have the wrong person.
Way to man up.

I laughed (actually, am still laughing) at your UMess suggestion and your response was (paraphrasing)

"what's your plan to get BYU and Boise St wingnut???"

Reaction Score
If BYU comes aboard, then let's make a true Western division. Let's have eight East Coast and eight west coast teams. I say drop Navy and replace them with East Carolina. Navy is not going to be able to become bowl eligible in this conference. They are better off as an independent.
Drop Navy and you lose Air Force, lose Air Force and you lose BYU and Boise St.

Navy is a key player in all of this.

Reaction Score
Way to man up.

I laughed (actually, am still laughing) at your UMess suggestion and your response was (paraphrasing)

"what's your plan to get BYU and Boise St wingnut???"

You are so annoying and full of crap.

Reaction Score
Ok, this started as a joke, but since you can't be a man and just admit when you're wrong, here's the proof.

You are so annoying and full of crap.
Yeah, I didn't think you had a plan to land BYU, TCU and Baylor. So you know what you can do....
The internet is a wonderful thing. Quick 5 minute search and I can bring up your words exactly.

I was wrong about the "wingnut" part, instead you were telling me to STFU, the name-calling was from a different conversation, i forget sometimes how mature you can be.

You also put words in my mouth because I never said anything about TCU. Some Big 12 schools were basically asking into the Big East before TCU left, we should have merged then. That was my point that, despite it's simplicity, sailed over your head like a Teggart game winning field goal.

Reaction Score
Drop Navy and you lose Air Force, lose Air Force and you lose BYU and Boise St.

Navy is a key player in all of this.
I think this is spot on...and much more interesting to read than the bitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom