Sally Jenkins Washington Post story goes to Chicago | The Boneyard

Sally Jenkins Washington Post story goes to Chicago

Reaction Score
Jenkins: "In an odd way, for all of its unsungness, this could be one of UConn's most defining teams. It's revealing that the program isn't all about recruiting, it isn't all about having the dominant player, it isn't all about physical superiority. It's about method, approach, and above all playing the game as a kind of ethic. And that's something that should be of interest to anyone who really cares about quality."

Amen, Sally!!! You nailed it!!!!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Jenkins: "In an odd way, for all of its unsungness, this could be one of UConn's most defining teams. It's revealing that the program isn't all about recruiting, it isn't all about having the dominant player, it isn't all about physical superiority. It's about method, approach, and above all playing the game as a kind of ethic. And that's something that should be of interest to anyone who really cares about quality."

Amen, Sally!!! You nailed it!!!!

Eh, at the same time KLS was the Gatorade HS POY. Collier was a consensus top-5 recruit. And as far as physical superiority goes - Gabby Williams was 5th in high jump at the Olympic Trials at 15. Calling them "a bunch of understudies" is quite misleading.

Obviously, talent alone does not explain what they've done this season, that's where "method, approach, and above all playing the game as a kind of ethic" comes in. The learning process of Young and Boley has definitely underscored for me how it's not as simple as handing high school All-Americans a basketball and watching the wins pile up.

So overall I get what she is saying but the article is a little disingenuous to me. By the way, my boxscore says KLS started. Which means that UConn didn't have a starter over 6-1 is outright inaccurate. Or maybe KLS shrunk but UConn still says she's 6-3.

Reaction Score
Eh, at the same time KLS was the Gatorade HS POY. Collier was a consensus top-5 recruit. And as far as physical superiority goes - Gabby Williams was 5th in high jump at the Olympic Trials at 15. Calling them "a bunch of understudies" is quite misleading.

Obviously, talent alone does not explain what they've done this season, that's where "method, approach, and above all playing the game as a kind of ethic" comes in. The learning process of Young and Boley has definitely underscored for me how it's not as simple as handing high school All-Americans a basketball and watching the wins pile up.

So overall I get what she is saying but the article is a little disingenuous to me. By the way, my boxscore says KLS started. Which means that UConn didn't have a starter over 6-1 is outright inaccurate. Or maybe KLS shrunk but UConn still says she's 6-3.
Not for nothing, but in several of the photos taken after the South Carolina game, Nat Butler seems taller than Azura Stevens. And Azura is, by rumor, 6"6" right? Maybe just optics.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but in several of the photos taken after the South Carolina game, Nat Butler seems taller than Azura Stevens. And Azura is, by rumor, 6"6" right? Maybe just optics.
correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there at least 4 teams that have more all-americans than UC- Tenn- MAryland and forgot other two

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I believe, by local custom, I am bound to ask - "Ok, but how do they compare in height to Bria Hartley?"

Anyhow, yes Natalie Butler is a listed 6'5 and Stevens 6'6. I've never really questioned that listing for Stevens when I watched her play against ND. The "UConn doesn't even have much size!" remark lasts for one season only.

Besides, while it is true that UConn lacks height up front, they have incredible athleticism and length. Nurse is a big guard by wcbb standards. KLS is 6'3 and playing on the perimeter.

Reaction Score

Agree, O. The word "understudies" did seem to minimize the inherent talent of 'Pheesa and Gabby. How was anyone (except Lou) going to get much playing time last year anyway? As for just tossing freshman into games and being disappointed, that's to be expected. Muffet does well recruiting, so there's hope these young 'uns will improved substantially. We think Crystal will get better in time. You picked up the 6'1 thing, and the Tribune corrected Jenkins' misuse of "inconsequential," which she originally spelled with a "u." Here you are again doing the monkey thing: nitpicking. ;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
By the way, my boxscore says KLS started. Which means that UConn didn't have a starter over 6-1 is outright inaccurate. Or maybe KLS shrunk but UConn still says she's 6-3.

The article also says that the Huskies "have beaten 97 of 100 teams by double digits"; I believe the correct number would be 98.

But I can forgive these factual fumbles because the spirit and central thesis of the article are so right on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom