Sagarins For New Conference | The Boneyard

Sagarins For New Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
New new big east (5 + new 6) has a Sagarin average of 73.64, up from 72.07.

ACC (with 14) slips from 72.93 to 72.50.

Yes, things will be different when conference members start playing each other, but optimism on the FB side.

-------------
MBB does take a big hit, falling from 83.91 to 80.98, while ACC rises from 81.34 to 82.55.
That would've made the ACC #2 and the BE #4 last year.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. These are the only numbers any school or conference is really interested in. These numbers lead straight to ad dollars, don't they?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. These are the only numbers any school or conference is really interested in. These numbers lead straight to ad dollars, don't they?

No, that would be ratings and demographic makeups of the relevant DMA's. How do you think small, dying industrial towns like Orlando, Houston and Dallas match up against large, dynamic, high growth metro areas like Syracuse and Pittsburgh? Syracuse and Pittsburgh were the two metro areas carrying the Big East, right?

Reaction Score
No, that would be ratings and demographic makeups of the relevant DMA's. How do you think small, dying industrial towns like Orlando, Houston and Dallas match up against large, dynamic, high growth metro areas like Syracuse and Pittsburgh? Syracuse and Pittsburgh were the two metro areas carrying the Big East, right?
Gee at first glance, I'd think they wouldn't!

Reaction Score
The current ratings are great, but what we should be getting excited about is what programs like Houston, SMU and UCF could develop into with the draw of a BCS conference. Lousville was already a top 20 team under Petino when they made the move to the BE, but look what the BCS conference did forUSF and Cincy. Boise is already there, and I don't think the BCS conference will have much impact on Navy and Air Force as they will always be restricted in recruiting by their service requirements

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There are only four ways teams can go - upwards, downwards, sideways, or to another conference.

Same with contracts.

When it comes down to the contract negotiations, the media players will be making all the arguments people have been proposing in these threads including markets, team desirability, conference potentiality, and the particular medias strategy in sports.

NBC gave ND an increase in $$ in spite of a rapidly deteriorating market share for ND.

So rationality is not always part of the contract decision. After watching Defillipo, Luck and Neinas, people should be getting an idea that there are a lot of power brokers that don't think things out as thoroughly as we do.

Reaction Score
So rationality is not always part of the contract decision.

Disagree. A TV executive who is consistently overpaying for content will not be a TV executive very long.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Disagree. A TV executive who is consistently overpaying for content will not be a TV executive very long.
You would think. But Dick Ebersol survived this contract which was a ratings nightmare and his second in command was promoted. So not every deal is logical and not every deal has negative repercussions.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Here's the link to one article. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3452161

Another link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2008-06-19-2441020462_x.htm

This article explains why Notre Dame does not want to affiliate with any conference in football: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/11/sports/ncaafootball/11sandomir.html
Those numbers make my head spin. The decline in viewers seems to be the only constant. I would say that this was a horrible contract extention, especially when you look at the #'s for NBC's rivals: ABC and CBS!

Reaction Score
The schools coming in have smaller followings than Pitt, Syracuse and WVU it is true. However the trade up in TV markets, Houston, Dallas and Orlando, is big plus. Every article I read says there is an increasing demand for sports programming.

The Big East is the only major conferences that will be available shortly. It will be interesting to see what the remade BE is offered next year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That doesnt mean NBC lost money.
It depends on the definition of lost money. Could they have allocated the same monies to another deal and received a better return on the investment? If they could have, then one way of looking at things is that they lost money.

I'm not arguing that every deal made should be the absolute best deal out there and that any deal earning less than other deals is a "loser". I'm arguing that there are deals made that don't only consider the bottom line and that would be considered "irrational" by many people.

And considering the BE is heading for a contract, there is no way of knowing for certain all the parameters that are involved in the thought process behind the decisions. In the Notre Dame contract some people questioned if that contract was made because Ebersol had a kid going to the university. And so did the guy who succeeded him, Mark Lazarus. Is there truth to this suspicion? How do you prove it? Ebersol and Lazerus will deny it and show all sorts of flow charts to justify their decision. But we all know about sweetheart arrangements that are made contrary to best outcomes.

So hypothetically the BE may get a better deal than the markets, teams success or history would warrant, because various media groups want to marginalize ESPN. I would categorize that move as not being rational because the action doesn't have proof to support the act.

Reaction Score
The schools coming in have smaller followings than Pitt, Syracuse and WVU it is true. However the trade up in TV markets, Houston, Dallas and Orlando, is big plus. Every article I read says there is an increasing demand for sports programming.
The first sentence is significantly more important with respect to a TV network than the second. Sure, bringing in new markets is nice, but if very few people in those markets care about that team, as is the case with a lot of these new members, it's almost entirely irrelevant how big that market is. SU's draw in NYC is significantly larger than anything Houston, UCF, or SMU have anywhere, for example.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Those numbers make my head spin. The decline in viewers seems to be the only constant. I would say that this was a horrible contract extention, especially when you look at the #'s for NBC's rivals: ABC and CBS!

The contract received a lot of criticism. But Ebersol was an icon at NBC so he had pretty much unimpeded decision making powers. I was trying to find the article that pointed out Dick Ebersol and Mark Lazarus had kids going to Notre Dame at the time the contracts were renegotiated but couldn't find it. The suspicion was there was a personal reason for such a favorable contract.

Aside from that rumor, the amount of money Notre Dame is getting puts them as the number two school making money from athletics, after Texas. Which is why they won't be in any rush to join any conferences unless NBC makes their deal even sweeter. NBC has the deal until 2015. So the ACC is out. The only conference in play is the BE. That is why I've proposed the BE and not the ACC, may end up getting ND. It all depends on NBC. If NBC decides to make versus a rival to ESPN it may induce them to offer the BE and Notre Dame a contract that nobody would be currently predicting.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The first sentence is significantly more important with respect to a TV network than the second. Sure, bringing in new markets is nice, but if very few people in those markets care about that team, as is the case with a lot of these new members, it's almost entirely irrelevant how big that market is. SU's draw in NYC is significantly larger than anything Houston, UCF, or SMU have anywhere, for example.
Winning is the single most important factor. The second is the importance of the winning.

Eight or nine years ago I saw a study done in which Texans were asked which professional team they followed. The Dallas Cowboys were number two, the Mavericks three, but the number one followed team had more followers than the combined rest of the teams which were followed. The number one team was the New York Yankees. That changed considerably as the the fortunes of various Texan teams changed.

When UConn joined the BE, St. John's was one of the flagship bb programs. Now it is fighting to regain relevancy. UConn was an afterthought in the BE, a perennial bottom dweller. Now it is the flagship program.

The market set up can be very favorable if the BE can develop a decent product. That is a big if. But don't count out the value of regional markets that the BE is bringing in.

Reaction Score
The football will remain ok, but he Bball takes a huge hit. Kids will want to play in ACC. Be competitive, but not elite.

New new big east (5 + new 6) has a Sagarin average of 73.64, up from 72.07.

ACC (with 14) slips from 72.93 to 72.50.

Yes, things will be different when conference members start playing each other, but optimism on the FB side.

-------------
MBB does take a big hit, falling from 83.91 to 80.98, while ACC rises from 81.34 to 82.55.
That would've made the ACC #2 and the BE #4 last year.

Reaction Score
Didn't NBC pay 500 Trillion Dollars for the Olympics for the next 3 centuries?

Thinking not much money will be made there. Sometimes the payoff is in exposure for other programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom