Sad news about SNY Network no longer has tv coverage after 2024-25 season | The Boneyard

Sad news about SNY Network no longer has tv coverage after 2024-25 season

Nev

Reaction Score
This in Sunday's upcoming Don Amore's Hartford Courant sports column:

UConn women and Big East TV deal

The six-year, $480 million deal the Big East signed with Fox, NBC and TNT will spell the eventual end for UConn women’s basketball on SNY, the New York cable station that has televised games since 2012. Nothing will change this year.

“UConn womens games will no longer be on SNY beginning with the 2025-26 season,” according to a UConn statement. “All games will instead air through one of the Big East partner networks. More information will be available at a later date.”

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It's a shame that the BE appears to be preventing a member school from negotiating it's own media rights. But, on the flip side, this might mean that the BE is (hopefully) saying that all the UConn regular season games will be televised nationally, even if it means on a pay service.
And will ESPN still have media rights to any games that they wish to broadcast?

Reaction Score
It's a shame that the BE appears to be preventing a member school from negotiating it's own media rights. But, on the flip side, this might mean that the BE is (hopefully) saying that all the UConn regular season games will be televised nationally, even if it means on a pay service.
And will ESPN still have media rights to any games that they wish to broadcast?

UConn controls who gets their non-conference games and I don't think they have to share the money with anyone other than their opponent. The games vs NDame, USC & SCar should draw TV audiences and I'm sure ESPN will show a couple.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
UConn controls who gets their non-conference games and I don't think they have to share the money with anyone other than their opponent. The games vs NDame, USC & SCar should draw TV audiences and I'm sure ESPN will show a couple.
What do you mean when you say UConn controls their non-conference games? The games are televised by what network controls their conference, so South Carolina and Notre Dame, as road games, will be televised by the network which is working with their conference. In the case of those two, ESPN will be televising those games. The USC game will be televised by the Fox network as the Big East network controls the home games according to the TV contract. The non-conference games not picked up by any of the major networks will be televised by SNY this year as in the past. Next year, we don't know yet. SNY is out, so either Fox, NBC, or TNT will televise the remaining games on the schedule.

Reaction Score
I can appreciate that SNY was a real pain for people outside of the viewing area, but they always did a good job with the pre-game, half time, post-game, Geno shows, etc.

If I ever have to pay for a steaming service to watch a UConn game, it will come out of my annual donation to UConn. So, UConn will pay for the streaming service.

Reaction Score
Since Xfinity dropped SNY in my area I have learned to live without the SNY pregame show and Geno show, so I won’t miss it as much as others will. Wondering if someone will pick up our announcers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This in Sunday's upcoming Don Amore's Hartford Courant sports column:

UConn women and Big East TV deal

The six-year, $480 million deal the Big East signed with Fox, NBC and TNT will spell the eventual end for UConn women’s basketball on SNY, the New York cable station that has televised games since 2012. Nothing will change this year.

“UConn womens games will no longer be on SNY beginning with the 2025-26 season,” according to a UConn statement. “All games will instead air through one of the Big East partner networks. More information will be available at a later date.”
This is another example of a deal that's good for our conference, but not particularly good for UConn. It would be nice if they at least hired Meghan, just for the sake of continuity. She's not perfect, but she's been part of UConn women's basketball basketball for decades.

CL82

Reaction Score
UConn controls who gets their non-conference games and I don't think they have to share the money with anyone other than their opponent.

Are you sure this is correct? The article would seem to suggest otherwise.

Reaction Score
Hard for me to believe that Fox, TNT, NBC, or any national network really, is going to make an effort to cover every game especially much of the conference schedule games which are garbage and do worse in ratings than re-runs of Golden Girls or an air fryer informercial. And it's unlikely they will be doing any extra coverage the way SNY does.

CL82

Reaction Score
Hard for me to believe that Fox, TNT, NBC, or any national network really, is going to make an effort to cover every game especially much of the conference schedule games which are garbage and do worse in ratings than re-runs of Golden Girls or an air fryer informercial. And it's unlikely they will be doing any extra coverage the way SNY does.
Lol, that's a weird take. Connecticut woman's basketball is extraordinarily popular in Connecticut with games often outdrawing pro sports in competing timeslots.

Reaction Score
Lol, that's a weird take. Connecticut woman's basketball is extraordinarily popular in Connecticut with games often outdrawing pro sports in competing timeslots.
UConn versus some of the conference teams aren't even popular in Connecticut let alone carry enough national appeal worthy of putting in the effort and resources to cover them.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
UConn versus some of the conference teams aren't even popular in Connecticut let alone carry enough national appeal worthy of putting in the effort and resources to cover them.
They were obviously popular enough to induce SNY to cover them for a decade despite paying UConn a significant fee for the broadcast rights. SNY wouldn't have made that commitment over that period of time unless they were making a tidy profit.

The question is whether the local Connecticut businesses that paid SNY to advertise during the games will continue to advertise on a streaming platform.

If the answer turns out to be No, then there would seem to be an opportunity for SNY or another local broadcast network to make a deal with Fox or TNT to purchase the broadcast rights to UConn conference games, i.e., to pay those networks rather than UConn directly for the right to televise these games.

CL82

Reaction Score
Do you have ratings that supports that statement? The fact that SNY devoted the resources to a) purchase the rights b) invest the time money to have a dedicated on air team staff c) send a production crew to every game, d) have pregame, and post game programs and e)have multiple collateral programs dedicated to Connecticut women's basketball (The Geno Auriemma show, UConn Legends, UConn Champions, shows etc. would certainly seem to suggest otherwise.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
True but the vast majority of the games that SNY broadcasts are conference games, with the exception of non conference games played as "home games" for our seniors and some mid major opponents. So you is going to broadcast these games, including games against the lower ranked conference opponents?
Rhetorical question, btw.

Reaction Score
That's really sad news........I enjoyed the SNY coverage..........not as slick as ESPN but a perfectly enjoyable group of play-by-play and color analysts over the years...........I'm assume there will no longer be the UConn WBB-centric programming that we have all grown so accustomed to which is also disappointing.......:(

Nev

Reaction Score
Since Xfinity dropped SNY in my area I have learned to live without the SNY pregame show and Geno show, so I won’t miss it as much as others will. Wondering if someone will pick up our announcers.
Doubt it.

Nev

Reaction Score
This is another example of a deal that's good for our conference, but not particularly good for UConn. It would be nice if they at least hired Meghan, just for the sake of continuity. She's not perfect, but she's been part of UConn women's basketball basketball for decades.
Doubt it.

Nev

Reaction Score
True but the vast majority of the games that SNY broadcasts are conference games, with the exception of non conference games played as "home games" for our seniors and some mid major opponents. So you is going to broadcast these games, including games against the lower ranked conference opponents?
Rhetorical question, btw.
Streaming on Peacock or Max.

Nev

Reaction Score
I still miss PBS.
Those days are long gone. Sports streaming is the way it's going now. If you want to watch all UCONN women's games in 2025-26, you better have a fat wallet.

Nev

Reaction Score
What do you mean when you say UConn controls their non-conference games? The games are televised by what network controls their conference, so South Carolina and Notre Dame, as road games, will be televised by the network which is working with their conference. In the case of those two, ESPN will be televising those games. The USC game will be televised by the Fox network as the Big East network controls the home games according to the TV contract. The non-conference games not picked up by any of the major networks will be televised by SNY this year as in the past. Next year, we don't know yet. SNY is out, so either Fox, NBC, or TNT will televise the remaining games on the schedule.
Agree 100% with what you wrote except all UCONN women basketball games will be telecast by Fox, NBC, or TNT. Some will be streamed. Hope you have a fat wallet if you want to watch all UCONN women basketball games starting in 2025-26. Back to listening to their games on free radio if you live in Conn. or paying for internet broadcasts when living out of state.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom