Sabrina Ionescu | The Boneyard

Sabrina Ionescu

Reaction Score
Ionescu gets her 7th triple double at the end of the 3rd period on Sunday against Ol Miss. She sets the PAC12 career record and ties the NCAA career record.

The fact that she is a third of the way through her sophomore season is astounding.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
The official line: 21 points, 14 assists, and 11 rebounds. Her third of the year and seventh overall. Ruthie Hebard had a double double, with Satou Sabally close to doing so as well, as the Ducks hammered Ole Miss 90-46. Round number three of their SEC invitational will be a game in Las Vegas against A&M, whom the Ducks beat by 15 in College Station a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Phenomenal stat line by Sabrina. 14 assists in one game is a very rare achievement, kinda like scoring 40 points or getting 25 rebounds.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For the record, these are the two players with whom Ionescu has now tied for the career triple-double record:

Seven career triple-doubles:
Suzie McConnell, Penn St. 1985-88 7
Louella Tomlinson, St. Mary’s (CA) 2008-11 7

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By the time she graduates, she may put the career record for triple doubles so far out, that it may last forever. Like DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak (76 years and counting). Some records are immortal, her's may become one of them. Keep in mind that she's only going to get better with each coming year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The official line: 21 points, 14 assists, and 11 rebounds. Her third of the year and seventh overall. Ruthie Hebard had a double double, with Satou Sabally close to doing so as well, as the Ducks hammered Ole Miss 90-46. Round number three of their SEC invitational will be a game in Las Vegas against A&M, whom the Ducks beat by 15 in College Station a couple of weeks ago.

Ionescu is a super player but Sabally is also one of the most talented players at her size in WBB, at her best she's almost unstoppable, I see some Stewie like qualities in her game...........wish UConn had recruited her..........who knows how good she could be with Geno and company coaching her up............

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This cannot be true! Brenda assured me that Geno gets all the best players!! The last to commit in her class, with lots of talk about her needs, she is, drat, a very, very good player. So, no Brenda, Geno doesn't get all the best players. Find another excuse.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Ionescu is a super player but Sabally is also one of the most talented players at her size in WBB, at her best she's almost unstoppable, I see some Stewie like qualities in her game......wish UConn had recruited her.....who knows how good she could be with Geno and company coaching her up..
Sabally is already very good, despite still getting used to the US game, and her potential is off the charts imo. She's smart, committed, and knows her weaknesses--with the result being some really impressive improvement over the first 10 games or so. I think bringing along young players a step at a time is one of Graves's strengths; he certainly did that last year, and this year he's been very successful with Sabally, and two other talented freshmen (Annelie Maley from Australia and Aina Ayuso from Spain) have made major strides as well (especially Maley). And Sabally's sister--on her way to Eugene next fall--is apparently a major (and versatile) talent who has won some of the same awards that Satou did previouslyl--an inch shorter, but with a body closer to that of a true 4 than Satou's.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
By the time she graduates, she may put the career record for triple doubles so far out, that it may last forever. Like DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak (76 years and counting). Some records are immortal, her's may become one of them. Keep in mind that she's only going to get better with each coming year.
She's 1/3 of the way through her career. That alone projects her total to 21. As she improves, a tally of 25-30 may be possible.

Reaction Score
I adore her skills and she is tough as nails. But watching her against MissState, I was a little sad. She takes so much on herself, and while she and her team are disciplined and well-coached, not to the extent she would be at UConn. Not saying anything everyone on this board doesn't already know. But it was so evident that even with her extraordinary skills (and she is extraordinary), she will never develop that precision and polish that is the hallmark of UConn. Just like to see CD put her through the wringer for a season....

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Watched the game this afternoon. She was dynamic. Her passes were a highlight package. She can really thread the needle.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Phenomenal stat line by Sabrina. 14 assists in one game is a very rare achievement, kinda like scoring 40 points or getting 25 rebounds.

I'm pretty sure that's the second time this season she's tallied 14 assists in a game. She has great court vision, sees some passing lanes most players just don't see.

Reaction Score
This kid is special for sure. There really isn't anything she doesn't do better than just about everyone on the court. Her court vision, ball handling, and passing are such a joy to watch. Watching her knock down mid range bank shots, you don't see that often in the NCAA Women's or Men's game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This kid is special for sure. There really isn't anything she doesn't do better than just about everyone on the court. Her court vision, ball handling, and passing are such a joy to watch. Watching her knock down mid range bank shots, you don't see that often in the NCAA Women's or Men's game.

It's evident she has skills. She's also a leader. She is special. She was giving her teammates directions last year during the course of games as a freshman............and they were listening. She will be in the same WNBA draft class as Dangerfield. I know it's a ways off, but..............who gets drafted first? I anticipate they'll both go in the first round.

Reaction Score
Ionescu goes first because of her size. Crystal has improved immensely; however, because of Sabrina's skills and size, there are things she can do on the basketball court that Crystal can't.

Reaction Score
Can’t say who goes first. All depends on what the needs are of the team that has the first pick or the earliest pick.

Reaction Score
I saw her play nine times in high school. From the first time I saw her play she was special. She had a court sense and vision like no one I've seen in girl's high school basketball. She wasn't fast but she could change speeds instantly. Teams would try to double team her but it never worked. She would dribble through, or drive around or pass to an open teammate. She took a well-coached but essentially ordinary team to the state finals. Insiders thought she would most likely attend Cal but she definitely made the right choice. Her potential is limitless.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Some Post-Game Quotes (punctuation slightly edited):

Head coach Kelly Graves

Q: "Does anything Sabrina does surprise you anymore?"

Kelly: "She sure is a pleasure to watch; I mean I watch her just like you guys do. The thing about Sabrina is she does it everyday in practice too, not just when the lights go on: she does it each and everyday; she's our hardest worker. I'm glad this happened, it was nice to get it done and out of the way. If you remember our last home game, she had 16 points in the first quarter then only took one shot the rest of the game. That's just who she is: she doesn't have an ego to feed [and] she’s all about the team. But, no, I am not surprised. . . . "

Q: "In your career have you ever had anyone have three plus triple doubles in a season? "

Kelly: " Yeah, Sabrina last year. Before that, no, and I have coached some pretty good players, but you know she's really a special talent and can do it all. I think she would be the first one to say she gets assists because Ruthy gets baskets and Bando gets baskets. That's kind of how she is. . . .

Ruthy Hebard, Forward, Sophomore

"She's a great passer as you all know, so I just wait for the pass and hopefully make the basket."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si...ts/2017/12/17/POSTGAME_QUOTES_VS_OLE_MISS.pdf

Reaction Score
It's evident she has skills. She's also a leader. She is special. She was giving her teammates directions last year during the course of games as a freshman..and they were listening. She will be in the same WNBA draft class as Dangerfield. I know it's a ways off, but....who gets drafted first? I anticipate they'll both go in the first round.

Ionescu

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Work effort, determination, court vision, leadership: The boxes keep getting checked.

After having read the threads about past, current and not-to-far-in-the-future players in the Olympic pool, I think that Ms. Ionescu -- if she continues on the playing arc that we've seen thus far -- will certainly be under consideration for point duties once she's out of college. Not saying this at the expense of anyone else (fill in your favorites), but this player is a keeper.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom