Sabrina Ionescu: Will She, Won't She | The Boneyard

Sabrina Ionescu: Will She, Won't She

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sabrina Ionescu discusses her pathway to 2019 WNBA draft decision

I'd rather participate in a poll about tonight's game, but ... still waiting. So:

“The committee decided that she was one that pretty much stood out during our training camp in Columbia [South Carolina],” Staley told High Post Hoops Friday, following practice at the Liberty training facility in Westchester. “Obviously, the point guard position is one that we’re forever in search of. Who will be the next Sue Bird and who will play along with Sue Bird, who can gain some knowledge from playing with her. So she brought that to the table. I thought she played extremely well.”

“I do think that,” Staley said about whether Ionescu is WNBA-ready. “Part of it is her confidence. She walks around like she belongs. Sometimes that’s half of the battle and she’s very, very talented. That’s the other half. Obviously, she does some things out here veterans in the WNBA do on a nightly basis. So, I mean, the package is certainly there.”

“I think, skill wise, I’m definitely able to hang with them, and play with them,” Ionescu said of her USA Basketball teammates. “I just think I need to get there mentally. I think I just need to feel that I do belong, and I can play with them because I feel like I’m still young.”

Good, thoughtful article.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Interesting, thanks for posting.

It mentioned Plum went through a similar process of deciding whether to come out after her Jr. season. I have no recollection of that, maybe the media here didn't pick up on it at all. Wow, glad she came back for her Sr. year, it was magical.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Thoughtful article.

If memory holds, Ionescu was one of last people to decide (or at least announce) where she'd go to school, pretty much showing up on the Oregon campus.

I would expect her to take a similar, deliberate process in making up her mind about whether to come out. One would have to think that her energy and focus this year, however, will be in trying to get the Ducks to the next level. She took the loss in the regional finals very hard and one would expect her to put everything into that effort. I would imagine the results of the effort/process might also factor into her decision, along with professional considerations and/or the opportunity to get into the national team mix a year of the Olympics.

In the meantime, look forward to seeing her lead the Ducks...that was one competitive game last year between Oregon and ND.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Thoughtful article.

If memory holds, Ionescu was one of last people to decide (or at least announce) where she'd go to school, pretty much showing up on the Oregon campus.

I would expect her to take a similar, deliberate process in making up her mind about whether to come out. One would have to think that her energy and focus this year, however, will be in trying to get the Ducks to the next level. She took the loss in the regional finals very hard and one would expect her to put everything into that effort. I would imagine the results of the effort/process might also factor into her decision, along with professional considerations and/or the opportunity to get into the national team mix a year of the Olympics.

In the meantime, look forward to seeing her lead the Ducks...that was one competitive game last year between Oregon and ND.

The article suggests that Laimbeer's Los Vegas club is what every potential #1 would want. This I don't get.

Reaction Score
The article suggests that Laimbeer's Los Vegas club is what every potential #1 would want. This I don't get.

Well... they do have the last two #1 picks, plus a #2 so aren’t in rebuilding mode like most of the bottom feeders. They also are in the Western Confetence and don’t play in Westchester County Hugh School’s gym. And since Seattle is probably not an option for the foreseeable future...

The point about the bargaining agreement is interesting. If she goes early is she locked in under the current agreement/rules/pay?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The point about the bargaining agreement is interesting. If she goes early is she locked in under the current agreement/rules/pay?

I can't believe there is that loophole in the compensation @RPM101370

There is no individual opt out in the CBA. What I am sure she is referring to is that both parties have the right to opt out of the current CBA after the 2019 season, but have to give notice of intent by this Oct if they plan to do so. There is buzz in the media that the players are going to choose to opt out.

I suspect when she wonders how much better the salary structure might be in 2019 she is assuming a better CBA will be forthcoming. There is mixed thinking on that but I suspect it will be a bit better -- certainly the players will no doubt play up the "pay equity" and "discrimination" cards in the media as the women soccer players did. In this day and age it will probably work to some extent -- or if the league finances are as bad as reported there might just be a lock out and dissolution. The beauty of the free market.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think she stays especially give the fact ND, UConn & Louisville all lose MAJOR pieces. National Championship is more than reasonable for Oregon in 2020. Outside shot this year as well.

newsincerity

New Sincerity
Reaction Score
Surprised she's even entertaining the idea,tbh, based on how integral she is the Oregon on and off the court, which seemed to be part of the draw for her. I'm sure she's treated like a rockstar at Oregon, so certainly the WNBA rookie salary won't tip the scale (though I wouldn't know how to estimate her overseas starting pay would be, but it's only 1 season she would be giving up of overseas play).

Anyway, I don't know the "if" part of this topic, but I sense that the "why" will be significantly influenced by her chances for the USA Olympic Team in 2020. It's SUCH a tricky task to make that squad as a point guard. She may wonder if going one way or the other will influence her chances of making the national team. If the USA team possibly being influenced by her decision were out of the equation, I doubt she'd leave Oregon early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom