Sabally to declare for WNBA Draft | The Boneyard

Sabally to declare for WNBA Draft

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Sabally leaving Oregon after this season and declaring for the draft.

Maybe the increased WNBA money is more of an enticement than I ever suspected.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
They better win it this year, cause it'll be awhile before they are back.

Maybe she, like Jackie Young, saw the writing on the wall. I'd imagine it takes a really special player to come back to an empty cupboard after a deep tournament run. Sabrina knew that this would be their year, which I imagine made her decision a little easier.

Also, I can't imagine the pressure of feeling like you have to support so much of your extended family at 21/22 without, honestly, even making that much. :oops:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dang massive blow for Oregon next year. I thought they still wouldve been a title contender with Satou.

Makes sense though that she leaves. She's likely the #3 pick and is the same age as Ionescu and other seniors. Indiana is going to be really really dangerous in a few years with McCowan, Vivians and her. Plus if Kelsey Mitchell settles in and lives up to her #2 draft pick, look out.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Maybe she, like Jackie Young, saw the writing on the wall. I'd imagine it takes a really special player to come back to an empty cupboard after a deep tournament run. Sabrina knew that this would be their year, which I imagine made her decision a little easier.

Also, I can't imagine the pressure of feeling like you have to support so much of your extended family at 21/22 without, honestly, even making that much. :oops:

Oregon would've still been a top 5-10 team IMO if she came back:
-#1 recruiting class
-Nyara Sabally and Sedona Prince should be healthy and eligible
-Boley, Shelley, and Chavez all back and likely your 1-3 spots

I still theyll be good but Satou couldve made them a legit title contender and wouldve been a favorite for POY.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
To me, this is the most telling part of her interview:
Sabally also said her family's financial situation factored into her decision to begin her professional career. She has six siblings, including younger sister Nyara Sabally, a 6-foot-5 redshirt freshman at Oregon, and said she would relish the opportunity to "give a better lifestyle" to a family who helped her achieve her goals.

"My family is not that financially rich or in the middle class," said Satou Sabally, who added that she would also send money to extended family in Gambia. "I feel like I can finally give back and make their lives a little bit easier, pay their rent for a nicer house, because we were all squished together.

"... Just provide a life for my little brothers where they maybe have more than one pair of shoes for a whole season."

You do you, Satou! Really can't blame her for wanting to support her family. It's a shame we will never get to see the Sabally Sisters on court together, but I can't fault her in the slightest. I also have to imagine it will feel good for the three-headed monster of Ionescu-Hebard-Sabally to finish their journey together. One more reason to look forward to seeing how Oregon's season unfolds this spring.

(And as a Stanford fan, I can't say I'm CRUSHED we don't have to worry about two Saballys next year!)

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
The extra 15k or whatever it is for rookies is peanuts compared to the cool quarter million plus that she'll make overseas in her first year.

Maybe... or maybe not.

Tell me how well that worked for Phee and Lou this off-season.

I know being a German citizen changes her prospects, but there are a lot of variables at play before she can count on a big European contract for next winter.

ETA: I wish her the best -- 100% -- and I hope that she's able to provide for her family the way that she wants to, but her initial WNBA contract and her shoe endorsement are the only two things she'll be able to count on next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Color me shocked. I was pretty sure she would want to stay and play a year with her sister. But far from me to question a decision that relies on family considerations.
Best of luck Sabrina, Ruthy, Satou in the future. And let's bring it home this year.

Reaction Score
She didn’t even let the season that’s how you know she didn’t really want to return

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
[edited to retract a moot point in light of further clarification.] Sabally's reason for announcing now was because people kept asking her about whether she was planning to turn pro and she felt it was distracting and made it harder for her to focus on basketball, so announcing her decision now has left her "head free and [she] can practice with joy." Totally makes sense to me - poor Ionescu was absolutely hounded throughout March and April, and I'm sure it only distracted from her focus on playing at the highest possible level.

Incidentally, I also think it gives fans a better opportunity to appreciate her and say goodbye. I'm not even an Oregon Ducks fan, but I like this current team a ton and appreciate the opportunity to know it'll be the last chance to see all three of them playing college ball.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
-#1 recruiting class
-Nyara Sabally and Sedona Prince should be healthy and eligible

I still theyll be good but Satou couldve made them a legit title contender and wouldve been a favorite for POY.
Boley has same option to go WNBA this year.

Reaction Score
Seems like you didn't even read the story or watch the interview. Her reason for announcing now was because people kept asking her about whether she was planning to turn pro and she felt it was distracting and made it harder for her to focus on basketball, so announcing her decision now has left her "head free and [she] can practice with joy." Totally makes sense to me - poor Ionescu was absolutely hounded throughout March and April, and I'm sure it only distracted from her focus on playing at the highest possible level.

Incidentally, I also think it gives fans a better opportunity to appreciate her and say goodbye. I'm not even an Oregon Ducks fan, but I like this current team a ton and appreciate the opportunity to know it'll be the last chance to see all three of them playing college ball.
I did read it and I watched the interview from the ESPN app when I got then notification and came to comment on it afterwards. I didn’t mean anything malicious behind it. All I’m saying is, you must really know what want to do when you don’t want until the season over.

Reaction Score
I don't think Boley would be able to make a WNBA roster if she entered the draft this April. She does look like she got herself in better physical condition this season. Another year of training and competing in Eugene may allow her a better opportunity to be drafted and play somehow professionally after her eligibility is completed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think Boley would be able to make a WNBA roster if she entered the draft this April. She does look like she got herself in better physical condition this season. Another year of training and competing in Eugene may allow her a better opportunity to be drafted and play somehow professionally after her eligibility is completed.
Was not saying that she would or should go just pointing out she has that option. I'm not sure her chances of making a WNBA roster improves greatly by staying another year. She does do anything at an elite level and that hard to come by in a year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Boley ain't getting drafted if she does. She could opt to be a grad transfer though and try to work on her draft stock. Guessing she comes back though, especially with the opportunity to take on a bigger role than being primarily just a 3 point sniper.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Seems like you didn't even read the story or watch the interview. Her reason for announcing now was because people kept asking her about whether she was planning to turn pro and she felt it was distracting and made it harder for her to focus on basketball, so announcing her decision now has left her "head free and [she] can practice with joy." Totally makes sense to me - poor Ionescu was absolutely hounded throughout March and April, and I'm sure it only distracted from her focus on playing at the highest possible level.

Yeah exactly. Candace Parker did the same thing at Tennessee, she was upfront that she wasnt coming back to use up eligibility and was able to participate in senior night festivities and get a proper send off. Props to Satou for being upfront since she's made up her mind. The biggest impact is it eliminates distractions that could negatively impact her or the team.

Reaction Score
If Satou is trying to finish her degree within 3 year (this summer), I don't see why she wants to waste one more year in college. Good decision by her.

Honestly I really like Satou, more than I like Sabrina.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was not saying that she would or should go just pointing out she has that option. I'm not sure her chances of making a WNBA roster improves greatly by staying another year. She does do anything at an elite level and that hard to come by in a year.
I think Boley shoots three-pointers at an elite level for a 6'2" player who plays the three. It is the other parts of her game that haven't got the extensive work they need based upon how talented three of her fellow starters are. She hasn't shown the ability to put the ball on the floor. Don't know how much of that she has in her game.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
-#1 recruiting class
-Nyara Sabally yes and Sedona Prince-define healthy? should be healthy and eligible

Chavez is the real deal, the others are supporting players. I am curious about Nyara as she's been hurt for two years now. Sedona may never be the projected player that those thought she would be coming out of HS.

Reaction Score
3 things. First, I am very glad she is announcing now. Being an ND undergrad (along with my 2 grad degrees from U of O), having Jewell and Jackie wait until after the final game was so difficult on coaches, fans, and fellow players. This makes this a non factor and puts Satou in the same position as Ruthie and Sabrina as they approach the tourney.
Second-I think this will maximize her marketability both here and in Europe. Sabrina will most likely sign a big contract with Nike, but Satou can create a bidding war for her, especially if they win the championship. Adidas, as a German company, could really would want her. They went all in with Steffi Graf and I don't think they've been as effetive supporting women athletes since then.
Third-She will be top 3. If Dallas didn't have the 2nd pick which gets marketing value with Cox and the Tesas connection, I'd say she'd be picked second. She will alwyas be connected with Sabrina and Ruthie much like Jackie will always be connected to Arike/Marina, Bri, & Jess since they were all drafted together from the same school.

Overall good move for her, loss for Oregon, but they will overcome. Now they can plan with this in mind. I think they will be fine. Most important win it all this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom