Ryan Gilmartin Podcast | The Boneyard

Ryan Gilmartin Podcast

Reaction Score
Can you give us the story. I can't get it to play on my computer or phone.
Long and short It was actually Diaco that was going to bring in Lashlee. Lashlee decided to still come after Diaco was fired thinking It was great opportunity with RE being older and he could eventually take over. As we all suspected he then confirms the dislike between RE and Rhett. Interesting hearing a players view on It.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Good interview...Gilmartin tries to be fair in his comments. He is a Diaco guy...so it's easy to take everything he says with a grain of salt. But...he doesn't seem too biased.

Lashlee story he admits is once removed. He heard it from someone who heard it from Diaco. To me..it's shaky. No mention of Jerry Kill...no mention of Benedict's relationship with lashlee at Auburn. Diaco may have believed that's what happened..but I think Benedict would have a very different take.

To me the biggest takeaway was his comment about Edsall. Basically saying it wasn't a meritocracy. And when players don't think the best guys are starting...they lose trust in the coaches and the process. Hearing that Edsall was stubborn about playing "his guys" without regard for what was best for the team, is both disappointing and yet not surprising.

I am glad to hear the positive comments on Spanos. It gives me hope that the players haven't given up on the season and they are still working hard to win games.

Interviewer asked great questions and did a nice job on this. I will definitely give the next podcast a listen.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Good interview...Gilmartin tries to be fair in his comments. He is a Diaco guy...so it's easy to take everything he says with a grain of salt. But...he doesn't seem too biased.

Lashlee story he admits is once removed. He heard it from someone who heard it from Diaco. To me..it's shaky. No mention of Jerry Kill...no mention of Benedict's relationship with lashlee at Auburn. Diaco may have believed that's what happened..but I think Benedict would have a very different take.

To me the biggest takeaway was his comment about Edsall. Basically saying it wasn't a meritocracy. And when players don't think the best guys are starting...they lose trust in the coaches and the process. Hearing that Edsall was stubborn about playing "his guys" without regard for what was best for the team, is both disappointing and yet not surprising.

I am glad to hear the positive comments on Spanos. It gives me hope that the players haven't given up on the season and they are still working hard to win games.

Interviewer asked great questions and did a nice job on this. I will definitely give the next podcast a listen.
I know as a fact that Lashlee and Diaco had NO overlap. It was Jerry Kill who AD David Benedict wanted to help Diaco out. It wasn't just for being his OC. Kill's background as a head coach would have been valuable to Diaco to run the program.

RE is stubborn, that's for sure. But enough looking back, we gotta look forward.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I know as a fact that Lashlee and Diaco had NO overlap. It was Jerry Kill who AD David Benedict wanted to help Diaco out. It wasn't just for being his OC. Kill's background as a head coach would have been valuable to Diaco to run the program.

RE is stubborn, that's for sure. But enough looking back, we gotta look forward.
That seems to make sense but Gilmartin thinks otherwise.

Reaction Score
Diaco bringing in Lashlee makes zero sense given Benedict and Auburn and the whole Jerry Kill thing.

I’m just blown away at how Edsall lost the plot so badly. Very few of us recognized the huge red flag of these transfer outs.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! Really enjoyed my conversation with Ryan. He’s a good kid and really have enjoyed getting to know him. To answer @ctbbfn yes its only on Apple Podcasts for now- working on Spotify as well and will have that up soon.

My goal for most all of these is for the episodes to be 95% the conversations themselves and typically I want the episodes to range from ~30 minutes to an hour or so. Don’t want them to be crazy long but don’t want them to be crazy short either. If you guys have thoughts on the pod or the questions or any other feedback I definitely will appreciate you sharing them with me given how new this is.

Episode 2 releases tomorrow- I interviewed @Storrs South and we chatted about a bunch of stuff, including life on twitter, content creation, highlight videos, and the football team + coaching search. Was really enjoyable and hope this is a different perspective/insight/look into the program than you guys get elsewhere!

Reaction Score
Great interview Drew! Really enjoyed Ryan's perspective and insights on the transition from Diaco to Edsall, and the fact that his love for his alma mater has been "reStorred" with Spanos leading the way. Can't wait for the new podcast!

Reaction Score
Great job Drew. Of course, it is one person's perspective, but pretty interesting nonetheless. Gilmartin comes across as sincere, not someone with an axe to grind.

Reaction Score
Great interview! Ryan is clearly a great representative for UConn and UConn football.

I do think the Lashlee and Diaco story was not correct as I think it was Jerry Kill who Benedict recommended. It really doesn’t matter as the point of the story seemed to be correct.

Reaction Score
I always had faith in RE until the Holy Cross game when it was apparent his approach was not working this time around. Now that behind-the-scenes stories are coming out, I've realized that faith was misplaced. Assuming it's a true and complete story that Ryan approached Edsall and asked him point blank just before Senior Day if he was in his plans for 2020, and was told yes but then two weeks later told no (robbing Ryan of the opportunity to participate in Senior Day activities), speaks volumes. That would be a d__k move.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I always had faith in RE until the Holy Cross game when it was apparent his approach was not working this time around. Now that behind-the-scenes stories are coming out, I've realized that faith was misplaced. Assuming it's a true and complete story that Ryan approached Edsall and asked him point blank just before Senior Day if he was in his plans for 2020, and was told yes but then two weeks later told no (robbing Ryan of the opportunity to participate in Senior Day activities), speaks volumes. That would be a d__k move.
Yeah...that's probably the part I have struggled with the most...and has taken the longest for me to accept.

I have always believed Edsall was a decent guy with strong character. I also knew he was stubborn and difficult to work with. But..I thought...he was an upstanding guy and deserved some respect and it felt like he tried to do the right thing for the school and the kids.

So...was the idea of Edsall being a strong character guy always a mirage? Or did he become a self centered jerk as the situation at UConn deteriorated?

Reaction Score
I liked the podcast, but I think it is unfair to hear one side of a story and draw a conclusion as to what actually transpired. Clearly, there were some things that happened that were very tough on some people and maybe they could have been handled differently, but this is what happens at FBS college football programs. That said, if Ryan's story is 100% accurate, Edsall did not handle the situation properly.

2019 was going to be tough year for players getting their scholarships renewed. Why? There were only a small handful of scholarship players (3 to 5?) that had used up their eligibility and Edsall wanted to bring in a full class of recruits. The 2020 recruiting class was 25 players and if players with eligibility didn't move on, the recruiting class would have been much smaller as you can only have 85 scholarship players.

In my opinion, the 2019 class will be the cornerstone of the Husky turnaround. There were 25 in the class, and 18 have played this season. (4 left early and 3 have not played yet.)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Diaco bringing in Lashlee makes zero sense given Benedict and Auburn and the whole Jerry Kill thing.

I’m just blown away at how Edsall lost the plot so badly. Very few of us recognized the huge red flag of these transfer outs.

Problem was most of the transfer outs were going FCS or below. It wasn't like the top players were leaving every year.

Reaction Score
Problem was most of the transfer outs were going FCS or below. It wasn't like the top players were leaving every year.

Have you even been paying attention? that is total folklore.

Those schools would beat UConn. And UConn probably made them look worse than they were.

And just because Edsall had them buried on the chart means absolutely nada.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have you even been paying attention? that is total folklore.

Those schools would beat UConn. And UConn probably made them look worse than they were.

And just because Edsall had them buried on the chart means absolutely nada.
Wait what? There is a thread about where transfers have gone. I guess it is folklore because some went JUCO, D2, or have no place at all to land. Saying they went FCS was actually often giving them too much credit

Reaction Score
Wait what? There is a thread about where transfers have gone. I guess it is folklore because some went JUCO, D2, or have no place at all to land. Saying they went FCS was actually often giving them too much credit

We could have lost to a Juco, D2 or most of FCS. But you’re right the best really stuck around and the results really indicate that. /s

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom