RV is new to me | The Boneyard

RV is new to me

Reaction Score
In the Avenida-Valencia game today I saw a stat with which I was unfamiliar—RV or fouls received. KLS totaled a team high five. I don’t recall seeing that in UConn box scores or anywhere else for that matter. That might just be me. It is an interesting stat in judging a player’s overall game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the Avenida-Valencia game today I saw a stat with which I was unfamiliar—RV or fouls received. KLS totaled a team high five. I don’t recall seeing that in UConn box scores or anywhere else for that matter. That might just be me. It is an interesting stat in judging a player’s overall game.
I know Avenida lost in OT 67-64 and saw the total points only but cant see any box score. Is their a link?

In trying to go through the spanish articles, they emptied the (Avenida) stands in OT to make some ?? curfew which may have hurt their chances. Some Covid protocol ??

Reaction Score
Now I know what to look for, "RV." I have been looking for that stat to show up in the box score for a long time. I hope it catches on. To me, it's the same as rebounds. Rebounds get three stats, O boards, D boards, and then the total (as if we don't know how to add 5+2). Right next to "PF" inquiring minds would like to know the "RV,"

Bet you a dollar that Geno knows "RV" per player, per game.

Reaction Score
I know Avenida lost in OT 67-64 and saw the total points only but cant see any box score. Is their a link?

In trying to go through the spanish articles, they emptied the (Avenida) stands in OT to make some ?? curfew which may have hurt their chances. Some Covid protocol ??

Reaction Score
If you tap on the score for each game it will take you to box score.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If you tap on the score for each game it will take you to box score.
It seems all other games through the 2nd semifinal April 25are good but not the April 29 Valencia game??:confused:

Reaction Score
It seems all other games through the 2nd semifinal April 25are good but not the April 29 Valencia game??:confused:
I tapped on it and got box score. Exit and try again.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I tapped on it and got box score. Exit and try again.
Well, I guess the problem is on my end. Found a link with the story and box scores. Lou and Tiffany combined for 11 of the 14 TO's. Karlie was the best of the Triumvirate

Reaction Score
Fouls received I believe is just how often you are fouled in a game. In isolation it may be hard to pass judgement on, but will tend be high for players that draw a lot of fouls (Think James Hardin or Chelsea Dungee at Arkansas as an example). Usually players that drive aggressively to the basket, and handle the ball for much of the game.

The ability to draw fouls is an underrated factor in player evaluation. Surprisingly the difference between players who rarely get fouled vs. those who get fouled frequently, is as big as the difference between players who rarely foul others and those that get in foul trouble a lot. A spot up three point shooter who rarely shoots off the dribble doesn't get fouled much.

One advanced stat that adjusts for all relevant factors is True Shooting Percentage. Like Effective Shooting Percentage, it converts three pointers to the two point equivalent, but goes further to covert FT's into two point equivalents as well. As long as your FT % is higher than your Effective Shooting Percentage, getting fouled a lot helps your True Shooting Percentage because it is substituting two free throw attempts for a FG attempt.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have seen this with various designations in international box scores for years - FD (fouls drawn) was one such designation. I think it is a very interesting stat and would love to see it in US box scores. We get some indication in the number of foul shots awarded to a player, but there are a lot of non-shooting fouls in every game and they can have a huge influence on playing time and aggressiveness for opponents. A player that consistently draws fouls can be contributing a lot to a team with no obvious stats showing in the US box score.

Reaction Score
I tapped on it and got box score. Exit and try again7
Well, I guess the problem is on my end. Found a link with the story and box scores. Lou and Tiffany combined for 11 of the 14 TO's. Karlie was the best of the Triumvirate

I have found that it sometimes takes an extra day to open to box score by tapping score.

Reaction Score
Fouls received I believe is just how often you are fouled in a game. In isolation it may be hard to pass judgement on, but will tend be high for players that draw a lot of fouls (Think James Hardin or Chelsea Dungee at Arkansas as an example). Usually players that drive aggressively to the basket, and handle the ball for much of the game.

The ability to draw fouls is an underrated factor in player evaluation. Surprisingly the difference between players who rarely get fouled vs. those who get fouled frequently, is as big as the difference between players who rarely foul others and those that get in foul trouble a lot. A spot up three point shooter who rarely shoots off the dribble doesn't get fouled much.

One advanced stat that adjusts for all relevant factors is True Shooting Percentage. Like Effective Shooting Percentage, it converts three pointers to the two point equivalent, but goes further to covert FT's into two point equivalents as well. As long as your FT % is higher than your Effective Shooting Percentage, getting fouled a lot helps your True Shooting Percentage because it is substituting two free throw attempts for a FG attempt.
That Lou is being fouled a lot and getting offensive boards is indicative of her playing under the basket.

Reaction Score
That Lou is being fouled a lot and getting offensive boards is indicative of her playing under the basket.
I think it also reflects her physical maturity. I remember Lou missing bunnies at the the hoop like Liv. They both are or were taller thinner players. KLS now plays a look stronger game with her drives to the hoop. Hopefully, Liv can continue to improve in that area next year.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The stats for yesterdays game can be found here Competiciones FEB

The stats in Espana are not always accurate. There was one game this year Lou had 3 assists and got none. Another game they gave Bella Alarie the basket that Lou scored. Oh well.

Avenida has lost 3 games in the Spanish League, be it regular season, or various Cup games and all were in OT.(Is Geno coaching this team :rolleyes: ) In 2, maybe 3 of the games, they had 10 point leads in the 3rd or 4th quarter and blew it. Yesterday was one of them.

Raquelle Carrera, the 19 year old that was just drafted in the WNBA, played big.
First half Valencia did a great job clogging the lane so Tif couldnt drive. Tif got her 2nd personal foul in the 1st qtr and sat on the bench until 1 minute left in the 2nd quarter. I think she scored all of her points in the 2nd half. However, she turned the ball over several times and in the last 5 seconds of OT she fumbled the ball and couldnt get her shot off. However it was a team effort, win or lose.

Spain, or at least Salamanca has a 10 pm curfew. Originally game was to start at 9pm, for TV, but would have no fans in attendance. Teams complained. So it was moved to 8pm. Regulation play ended at 9.45pm, Spain time, and between the end of regulation and start of OT they made an announcement all had to leave or Police would be giving out fines. So many fans did the crawl/walk up the aisle to the exits. Some stalled at the top of the back rows. Certainly took away from the lively fan atmosphere for most of game.
Sundays game 2 is in Valencia at 12.30pm Spain time(6.30 EDT, or 3.30 am on the left coast where I am) This is a best 2 of 3 series, hope it goes the distance.

Reaction Score

I was going to point you to ours since I know that we have it, but it appears that yours do too:
29 Baylor (PDF) - University of Connecticut Athletics (uconnhuskies.com)

Obviously it does not count incidents not called fouls that lead to the opposing coach leaving the state.

The WNBA miscellaneous stats track it too with a familiar name at the top of last season's list:
WNBA Stats | Players Misc

As for timely stats, I always go and find the primary source. Some of the writers do a good job at eurobasket.com but many countries do not have good information. For schedules, I prefer using flashscore.com as they do a much better job of tracking changes.

It was too bad for the fans in Salamanca that they could not see the end of the game. Mo Currie said that those were the best fans that she had ever played for after reflecting at the end of her career.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The stats for yesterdays game can be found here Competiciones FEB

The stats in Espana are not always accurate. There was one game this year Lou had 3 assists and got none. Another game they gave Bella Alarie the basket that Lou scored. Oh well.

Avenida has lost 3 games in the Spanish League, be it regular season, or various Cup games and all were in OT.(Is Geno coaching this team :rolleyes: ) In 2, maybe 3 of the games, they had 10 point leads in the 3rd or 4th quarter and blew it. Yesterday was one of them.

Raquelle Carrera, the 19 year old that was just drafted in the WNBA, played big.
First half Valencia did a great job clogging the lane so Tif couldnt drive. Tif got her 2nd personal foul in the 1st qtr and sat on the bench until 1 minute left in the 2nd quarter. I think she scored all of her points in the 2nd half. However, she turned the ball over several times and in the last 5 seconds of OT she fumbled the ball and couldnt get her shot off. However it was a team effort, win or lose.

Spain, or at least Salamanca has a 10 pm curfew. Originally game was to start at 9pm, for TV, but would have no fans in attendance. Teams complained. So it was moved to 8pm. Regulation play ended at 9.45pm, Spain time, and between the end of regulation and start of OT they made an announcement all had to leave or Police would be giving out fines. So many fans did the crawl/walk up the aisle to the exits. Some stalled at the top of the back rows. Certainly took away from the lively fan atmosphere for most of game.
Sundays game 2 is in Valencia at 12.30pm Spain time(6.30 EDT, or 3.30 am on the left coast where I am) This is a best 2 of 3 series, hope it goes the distance.
Will they stream it?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Will they stream it?
Game is on Teledeporte. They stream but black out to outside of Spain. I use my VPN and put my location in Spain to get the live stream. I just checked and they wont let us watch the replay unless you are in Spain, too.

Reaction Score

That stat has been posted in European box scores for years. I wish they would routinely keep track of it in US games.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Avenida ties up series 1-1 with a 76-74 win.

Lou hits a clutch 3 with the time clock expiring to put Avenida up by 5 with 20 seconds left in the game. Lou led all scorers with 18.

Final game is Thursday back at Avenida.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom