Ruth Riley Named GM of San Antonio Stars | The Boneyard

Ruth Riley Named GM of San Antonio Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Longtime WNBA Coach and GM Dan Hughes has announced that after 16 years, he wants to exit (gracefully) from the WNBA. As such, he's named a new General Manager for the San Antonio Stars -- Ruth Riley, who played there for a number of years. Hughes will coach this season -- among others -- Moriah Jefferson and Kayla McBride.

He'll mentor Riley this season then work with her to hire his replacement as coach. Will be interesting to see what direction they go in.
Class act, Mr. Hughes. I'm hopeful for Ruth Riley, who works diligently in everything she does.

Under the subheads, "7 Worlds Collide" or "the world gets smaller," ND and UConn work together on a different stage now, with MoJeff, K-Mac and, now, Ruth.

Good luck to one and all...

Riley Named GM of WNBA's San Antonio Stars

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Heard Dan do a number of games as a color commentator. He almost is able to make me understand some plays. Very intelligent explanations of the actions on the court, unfortunately his position was often for the "home team" announcing team. Would enjoy him doing more neutral events.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Was looking through her history and just a little concerned with what looks like no managerial experience or business experience. Doesn't mean that she can't preform admirably and she certainly knows the WNBA and was a VP of the players union - just a concern. None of the WNBA teams have a really solid footing and I think one of the issues is they try and nickel and dime the management side of things.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Was looking through her history and just a little concerned with what looks like no managerial experience or business experience. Doesn't mean that she can't preform admirably and she certainly knows the WNBA and was a VP of the players union - just a concern. None of the WNBA teams have a really solid footing and I think one of the issues is they try and nickel and dime the management side of things.

She has done a lot of charity work - maybe some of that includes work with the business side of things? At the very least, she is about to have her MBA and she gets a year of on-the-job training before Dan Hughes is gone.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
S he never flopped. She certainly did walk ... much more than Charde. Indeed, I really feel the 2001 NCAA ....well, if someone was a competent caller of the walk....well, er, how do I say it... She had a get out of jail free pass and I will not forget that. She made klutz a 4 letter word. Sorry, but some of us never forget. It's like the Alamo.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She has done a lot of charity work - maybe some of that includes work with the business side of things? At the very least, she is about to have her MBA and she gets a year of on-the-job training before Dan Hughes is gone.
Definitely not saying she isn't an impressive woman, just that her resume is light on managerial experience.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Definitely not saying she isn't an impressive woman, just that her resume is light on managerial experience.

Heck, UcM... we all know that the WNBA franchisees don't manage themselves. No matter what Isiah Thomas says or doesn't say. ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She must've traveled quite a bit to get this new position...

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Oh, I know - was just thinking aloud - or whatever the internet equivalent is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom