Rutgers | The Boneyard

Rutgers

Reaction Score
Assuming seeds hold, there’s a 2nd round matchup with Rutgers.

As Geno said many times in the BE days, Rutgers can be a challenge if you’re not used to their style of play.

And furthermore, UConn wants to go uptempo - as they are better in transition and need baskets to get going. Rutgers is gonna be the exact opposite.

And there will surely be a vocal RU contingent in the stands.

So, no cakewalk.

Reaction Score

As Geno said many times in the BE days, Rutgers can be a challenge if you’re not used to their style of play.

And furthermore, UConn wants to go uptempo - as they are better in transition and need baskets to get going. Rutgers is gonna be the exact opposite.

So, no cakewalk.
Appreciate Rutgers style of play, but, since this Rutgers team hasn't faced UCONN, if they play, don't think it'll be close, assuming fouls are about even.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Unless Rutgers has changed their approach (Which I doubt) there's always the concern of some extra pushing and shoving on KLS. Could have lived without this matchup.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

So, no cakewalk.

UCF was a good prelim. :D

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
First off, RU has to beat Buffalo which is no given.

However, since the late season personnel changes, RU has very much embraced their 55 full court defense, and they are playing 10 players and using hockey-style subs so they can use it basically the entire game. This is not a typical walk the ball up the court and use 27 seconds of shot clock team. They would much rather be causing chaos and forcing steals and pushing the fast break.

Reaction Score
Glad to hear they’ve embraced the 55, and using the fast break. But against Crystal & crew, if they get by Buffalo, their 55 may cost them more than help them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it’s 50/50 that Rutgers gets by Buffalo. The Bulls are playing their best basketball of the year under Coach Legette-Jack, who’s done a great job in Buffalo. I’m sure many Husky fans remember how close the Bulls came to knocking off A’ja Wilson and the Gamecocks last year in a Sweet 16 game in Albany.

Reaction Score
It didn't take long for the usual comments about Rutgers to show up here. You people really should get over it. If you think Rutgers and UCF are too physical, it's a good thing UConn doesn't play in the PAC-12, where the officials let the "girls" mixed it up a little bit. And it's fun basketball to watch

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score

So, no cakewalk.

I doth think you protest too much. . .

Definitely a cakewalk! I just made dinner reservations in Albany. . .

Reaction Score
We do have a tendency to find problems everywhere. There's always something to worry about. Geno has the right idea: we have a schedule, we show up, we play, and the chips fall where they may. If we can't get past the early games, we surely ought to go/stay home. But, if you must obsess, be concerned about a 2nd match-up with Louisville. After we get by the Cardinals, there's plenty of aggro to come.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I was hoping for this:

1553007959454.png

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It didn't take long for the usual comments about Rutgers to show up here. You people really should get over it. If you think Rutgers and UCF are too physical, it's a good thing UConn doesn't play in the PAC-12, where the officials let the "girls" mixed it up a little bit. And it's fun basketball to watch
You've noticed? Although my wife's health has limited our attendance the last 2 seasons, we do have seats in the floor row at Arizona - definitely an eye opener to be so close to the action. And yes, fun basketball.

Reaction Score
You've noticed? Although my wife's health has limited our attendance the last 2 seasons, we do have seats in the floor row at Arizona - definitely an eye opener to be so close to the action. And yes, fun basketball.
good to hear that. it's one thing to see it on tv, but another to be there so close to the action.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I hear that CViv will not coach during the tournament for health reasons. Any updates on her situation? How will that impact the team's chances?

Reaction Score
I feel bad for UCF's first team they play Arizona St. :rolleyes:

Actually they are lucky to get ASU, whose inability to score rivals UCF's. UCF's only shot is a low scoring game. What will be fun is watching the scorer keep track of the subs. Both teams like to sub in mass.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Actually they are lucky to get ASU, whose inability to score rivals UCF's. UCF's only shot is a low scoring game.

Maybe. Or maybe playing a team that is very comfortable with low possession, low scoring, grind it out games is not in their favor.

Reaction Score
How is physical basketball fun to watch? Is it the 40 turnovers, 40 free throws, or the struggle to put 60 points on the board?

Reaction Score
How is physical basketball fun to watch? Is it the 40 turnovers, 40 free throws, or the struggle to put 60 points on the board?

Referring to the Pac12, where I think it is more physical, and the refs let them play a bit more. Many of the teams seem to like an up-tempo game, and certainly have no trouble putting 60 points on the board. Rutgers is a different story, though I have always enjoyed watching my home-state team play, especially against UConn in those barn-burners in the Big East tourney at the XL Center. They didn't win many, but UConn always knew they were in a game when they played them. And I expect that will be the case if they play them in the tourney, as CViv teams( and CViv herself) usually don't back down. Sorry she won't be there. Excuse my long winded response.

Reaction Score
Maybe. Or maybe playing a team that is very comfortable with low possession, low scoring, grind it out games is not in their favor.

Not sure if it's still available but watch the AAC semi between UCF and Cinci. UCF seemed very comfortable at an uptempo pace of play. I was very surprised when I saw it. They still have trouble scoring though. I think some AAC teams have learned that if you play a slowdown physical game you stay inside 20 pts but if you get into an up and down game you lose by 40+.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom