Rutgers recruiting question - help needed | The Boneyard

Rutgers recruiting question - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't really follow recruiting very carefully. But I know there are folks here who do.

What I am curious about is who Rutgers has recruited (post 2005 say) that would be perceived as a 5-star recruit. By which I mean - likely to be a star on a top 25 team, might be able to start probably be able to start for a perennial Final Four team.

Cappie and Piph Prince were clearly that level, but who since?

Canty? Sykes? Schaife? Dixon? Am I missing anyone? Are these considered that level of recruit?

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Betnijah Laney, & Monique Oliver also.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is what I have. Quite a few McD AAs.

Kia Vaughn - Bluestar #4 WBCA AA
Epiphany Prince - Bluestar #3 McD AA
Khadijah Rushdin - Bluestar #11 McD AA
Chelsey Lee - Hoopgurlz #36, Bluestar #20, McD AA
April Sykes - Hoop Gulrz #2, Bluestar #3, McD AA
Jasmin Dixon - Hoopgurlz #26, Bluestar #31, McD AA
Brookly Pope - Hoopgurlz #9, Bluestar #8, McD AA
Nicki Speed -Hoopgurlz #27, Bluestar #16, McD AA
Erica Wheeler - Hoopgurlz #39, Bl;uestar #75, McD AA
Briyona Canty - Hoopgurlz #6, McD AA
Betnijah Laney - Hoopgurlz #11, McD AA
Kahleah Copper - Hoopgulrz #16, McD AA
Tyler Scaife - Hoopgurlz #9, Bluestar #12, McD AA
Rachel Hollivay - Hoopgurlz #6, Bluestar #11

Reaction Score
Here are all of the McDonalds AA's or WBCA HS AA's that attended RU listed by year of HS graduation:
C Newton 2001 WBCA AA
C Pondexter 2001 WBCA AA
M Ajavon 2004 - Both
E Carson 2004 - Both
K Vaughn 2005 - Both
D Jernigan 2006 - Both - transferred after 1 year to Xavier
E Prince 2006 - Both
K Rushdan 2007 - McD AA
J Dixon 2008 - Both - transferred after 1 semester to UCLA
C Lee 2008 - Both
B Pope 2008 - Both - transferred after 1 year to Baylor
N Speed 2008 - McD AA
A Sykes 2008 - Both
M Oliver 2009 - Both
E Wheeler 2009 - McD AA
B Canty 2011 - Both
B Laney 2011 - Both
S Richardson 2011 - WBCA - transferring after 2 years
K Copper 2012 - Both
T Scaife 2013 - Both

R Hollivay most likely would have been one or both, but did not play her senior year of high school.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
That's a lot of talent there! Rutgers has a good group of players on the roster currently. Can they play to their talent level is the question?

Reaction Score
Rutgers also has a highly rated 2015 commit—Aliyah Jeune, ranked #11 by Blue Star and #12 by ESPN.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Talk about coaching down the talent. That is an incredible list.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be critical or turn this in to an anti-CViv post.....but how on earth does she still have a job? These are some great HS basketball players. Not all of them can be mis-ranked. If I was a Rutgers fan, I would be shaking my head in amazement. Even CViv's good teams played a brand of basketball I can't watch.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be critical or turn this in to an anti-CViv post.....but how on earth does she still have a job? These are some great HS basketball players. Not all of them can be mis-ranked. If I was a Rutgers fan, I would be shaking my head in amazement. Even CViv's good teams played a brand of basketball I can't watch.
CViv had a lot of success with her teams and players on this list up until the past few seasons - even though a lot of people aren't fans of their style of play. The 2007 squad went to the championship game and the 2008 team lost to UConn in the elite 8 game (where we had a double digit lead, but couldn't hold on). We were a Sweet 16 team in 2009.

I don't disagree that it has been downhill since then despite the talent, but some (many) of our fans feel that the bonanza class of 2008 caused major problems that we are still recovering from. Of that class, Sykes was the most heralded, and she just never developed according to expectations.

This past season we had a lot of injuries and very inexperienced point guards, but if we don't have a better season this year, I doubt CViv will still have a job. Even if she has a great season, she may not get a new contract.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
CViv had a lot of success with her teams and players on this list up until the past few seasons - even though a lot of people aren't fans of their style of play. The 2007 squad went to the championship game and the 2008 team lost to UConn in the elite 8 game (where we had a double digit lead, but couldn't hold on). We were a Sweet 16 team in 2009.

I don't disagree that it has been downhill since then despite the talent, but some (many) of our fans feel that the bonanza class of 2008 caused major problems that we are still recovering from. Of that class, Sykes was the most heralded, and she just never developed according to expectations.

This past season we had a lot of injuries and very inexperienced point guards, but if we don't have a better season this year, I doubt CViv will still have a job. Even if she has a great season, she may not get a new contract.
Thanks so much for the list. For my purposes, I think it is the "both" that fit my bill. Following that side of the game just has never interested me.

I have never understood those who think Rutgers didn't have great success, through at least 2008 and even respectable thereafter. Part of it is, I suspect, that we didn't live up to expectations a couple of those years, followed by the the very depressing last two years.

I agree with both your second and third paragraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom