OT - Rutgers football coach debacle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Rutgers football coach debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn football fans lobbing shots at Rutgers football. What a world.

What most people either refuse to believe is that what Schiano and Edsall both did at Rutgers/UConn in the 2000s was equally impressive. For the most part, our best seasons coincided with their best seasons and made for a lot of good games.

We're both laughingstocks, but at least they are getting drubbed by Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, while we're not able to put up a fight against Tulane or South Florida.
Yeah, all those basketball banners hanging inside the RAC really say a lot about the school and it's winning ways.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah, all those basketball banners hanging inside the RAC really say a lot about the school and it's winning ways.

Right, let's talk about Geno and the girls as if that has any relevance to FBS football.

Reaction Score
He didn’t do as well as Edsall and was at best his equal. Edsall is pretty overrated. So there’s that.

Edsall is a better coach than Schiano.

Schiano Big East record last three years at Rutgers:

3-4
1-6
4-3
Yuck! Amazing that they want him back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edsall can develop players. His attitude towards fans and others and in-game coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

Over in men's hockey, we have Cavanaugh who can recruit decently, beat ranked teams but lose 5 in a row to Sacred Heart.

Reaction Score
I think Schiano deserves the chance to prove his Full Banana theory - that Jersey football can be a dominant Program. All in. Helicopter. Palace Training facility. Jersey kids

Rutgers ain’t gonna get that from the deeper choices.

Reaction Score
I think Schiano deserves the chance to prove his Full Banana theory - that Jersey football can be a dominant Program. All in. Helicopter. Palace Training facility. Jersey kids

Rutgers ain’t gonna get that from the deeper choices.

He tried that already.

Reaction Score
He tried that already.

yeah ... and thus HE gave them the best run of Rutgers football since the invention of the Sport. Let the guy who hired Chris Ash choose the next "rising" assistant" or other?

Reaction Score
yeah ... and thus HE gave them the best run of Rutgers football since the invention of the Sport. Let the guy who hired Chris Ash choose the next "rising" assistant" or other?

I hope they make a terrible choice. They should bring in some outside help, maybe consult Hathaway and a few Barber Shops in the Naugatuck Valley since those guys are always on top of the cutting edge of the game.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Edsall can develop players. His attitude towards fans and others and in-game coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

Over in men's hockey, we have Cavanaugh who can recruit decently, beat ranked teams but lose 5 in a row to Sacred Heart.
We tied Sacred Heart this year, so there’s that.;)

Reaction Score
RU: "Hey Greg, that guy Hobbs doesn't fully speak for us. Let's talk."

Schiano: "Okay, I've got nothing else going on. I didn't really need some of those things I asked for. I was just messin' with that Hobbs guy. Who brought in a guy from Seton Hall Law School to run a B1G athletic department anyway?"

Reaction Score

C'mon now, SH blanked BU last night. (Disclaimer: that's sarcasm)

Reaction Score
We are not a laughing stock, the football program will recover, we have 22 national championships in major NCAA sports and are in the top four in some sports EVERY year. There are only a handful of schools in the country that can even approach that. Yes, UMass and Rutgers are laughing stocks, and cannot even approach Uconn's athletic success. UConn is not a laughing stock. UConn men's basketball is well on it's way to making a full recovery. There are many important individuals in the B1G who are now saying privately that they made a huge mistake in grabbing Rutgers instead of UConn. We also have an athletic director who is well respected across the country. Aside from men's and women's basketball, UConn has had great success in baseball and field hockey and has two nationally respected coaches in Nancy Stevens and Jim Penders.

What I meant is that in football, the national sports talking heads and writers do make fun of us. Yes, I think the move back to the BE will be fine and now with the 2020 football schedule, I believe even Football will be better. Yes, I was against the BE move, but if football gets better and RE is not the answer it will be a GREAT move!

Reaction Score
RU: "Hey Greg, that guy Hobbs doesn't fully speak for us. Let's talk."

Schiano: "Okay, I've got nothing else going on. I didn't really need some of those things I asked for. I was just messin' with that Hobbs guy. Who brought in a guy from Seton Hall Law School to run a B1G athletic department anyway?"

Of course Schiano was bluffing, nobody else is calling.

Reaction Score
Have to wonder how well Rutgers could have scheduled as an independent, these days.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of you are missing the point on Schiano's demands. He demanded $$ investment in the program and facilities as well as the Staff salaries. He is demanding what they would need to even think about competing at all in a division with OSU, Michigan and PSU. He is rightfully staying away if the school doesn't ante up, but the ante up isn't for his own pockets.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of you are missing the point on Schiano's demands. He demanded $$ investment in the program and facilities as well as the Staff salaries. He is demanding what they would need to even think about competing at all in a division with OSU, Michigan and PSU. He is rightfully staying away if the school doesn't ante up, but the ante up isn't for his own pockets.
Rutgers top brass have shown they care nothing about the actual product on the field. They've had how many winning seasons since schiano took over? A handful?

Reaction Score
I’m ambivalent to how the Schiano melodrama plays out. No matter who gets the Rutgers coaching job, my only interest is in having Rutgers and UConn schedule some future football games. If Schiano is the candidate more likely to support that, I’m all for Rutgers hiring him.

Reaction Score
I’m ambivalent to how the Schiano melodrama plays out. No matter who gets the Rutgers coaching job, my only interest is in having Rutgers and UConn schedule some future football games. If Schiano is the candidate more likely to support that, I’m all for Rutgers hiring him.
I agree, but they have to give Schiano what he wants for the program and facilities or I don't think he's going to take the job. He very well could also be waiting to see if UConn fires Edsall next week. I know alot of the UConn players and assistant coaches are.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree, but they have to give Schiano what he wants for the program and facilities or I don't think he's going to take the job. He very well could also be waiting to see if UConn fires Edsall next week. I know alot of the UConn players and assistant coaches are.

At a certain point it becomes a return on investment. RU, good or bad, is in B1G 10 eastern division and they will always be looking up at Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St in terms of facilities, resources, and everything else. Basically 4th place in their division is the high level mark. That goes for every other program in the B1G 10 Question is can another staff build a program that can get to that level without everything Schiano is asking for to get him to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom