Rutgers drops a heartbreaker | The Boneyard

Rutgers drops a heartbreaker

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In what was likely the make-or-break game in the quest to get Stringer to win #1000 this year, Rutgers lost in overtime to Iowa after holding a 9-point lead with 4:00 to play.

Tyler Scaife, after Iowa intentionally fouled her, made 1 of 2 free throws at 0:24 to give Rutgers a 3-point lead, and then Kathleen Doyle of Iowa hit a 3-pointer from the wing with a defender's hand in her face. Rutgers had two shot attempts as time expired, both of which rimmed out. Iowa then proceeded to outscore Rutgers by 10 in overtime.

Rutgers, now at 19-10 on the season, just saw their odds of getting to 23 wins drop precipitously. Even if they beat Northwestern in the Big Ten finale, they'll still probably have to beat either Ohio State or Maryland in the conference tournament quarterfinals, or they'll have to beat a #1 or #2 seed in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament (since Rutgers is likely to be seeded between 7 and 10).

Ouch.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In what was likely the make-or-break game in the quest to get Stringer to win #1000 this year, Rutgers lost in overtime to Iowa after holding a 9-point lead with 4:00 to play.

Tyler Scaife, after Iowa intentionally fouled her, made 1 of 2 free throws at 0:24 to give Rutgers a 3-point lead, and then Kathleen Doyle of Iowa hit a 3-pointer from the wing with a defender's hand in her face. Rutgers had two shot attempts as time expired, both of which rimmed out. Iowa then proceeded to outscore Rutgers by 10 in overtime.

Rutgers, now at 19-10 on the season, just saw their odds of getting to 23 wins drop precipitously. Even if they beat Northwestern in the Big Ten finale, they'll still probably have to beat either Ohio State or Maryland in the conference tournament quarterfinals, or they'll have to beat a #1 or #2 seed in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament (since Rutgers is likely to be seeded between 7 and 10).

Ouch.
I hate to break this to you but Rutgers has lost the last 8 of 11 games played and currently sits at #44 in Massey and based on my 64 team field assessment, they are not getting in despite a good OOC. The committee likes good trends and this is not a good trend. Can you say NIT?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I hate to break this to you but Rutgers has lost the last 8 of 11 games played and currently sits at #44 in Massey and based on my 64 team field assessment, they are not getting in despite a good OOC. The committee likes good trends and this is not a good trend. Can you say NIT?
Six wins over the top 50. Have you seen the resumes of the other bubble teams? For now they're still safely in. They do need to beat Northwestern or else it will get interesting.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Didn't CViv turn down a WNIT invitation recently??

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Crying%2BCrocodile%2BCartoon.jpg

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Six wins over the top 50. Have you seen the resumes of the other bubble teams? For now they're still safely in. They do need to beat Northwestern or else it will get interesting.
The telling sign to me is the 8 losses in the last 11 games. They have had 2 wins over top 50 since Jan 1 and some really bad losses. So while they played a good schedule (#29), they didn't win enough with that. Given the field is 64 with 32 automatic bids and 26 bad conferences P5+ Big East, the numbers don't allow for #48 rated Rutgers and the 7th Big 10 school to get in over a Buffalo/Central Michigan team (loser of the Mid-American). I just don't see it. At best they are on the bubble and need a few wins in the Big10 Tourney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom