Rutgers buys more of what C. Viv is selling | The Boneyard

Rutgers buys more of what C. Viv is selling

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm of 2 minds about the following: 1. incentives are good, as they acknowledge a reality of performance expectations; 2. very large incentives for college coaches, such as that for Stringer, create a lot of temptation to do the wrong kind of recruiting and the wrong kind of coaching.

Stringer's salary was reduced from seven figures to $700,000 during her last round of contract negotiations. The big draw was a potential $500,000 bonus for reaching the Sweet 16 -- something that Rutgers has failed to do since 2009.

Even so, I can't believe that Rutgers can honestly pay her that much base when the school is in such economic difficulty, when faculty salaries are so much lower, and--far the most important thing--when so many kids have to take jobs and big loans just to get through college. I know Geno ends up with a lot more, but he's hors categorie--the very best of the best.

Reaction Score
I didn't see this on the board, thought it worthy of a mention. I thought they were ready to move on, but no.

Rutgers, C. Vivian Stringer agree to contract extension | What are the terms?

Gotta give coaches extensions to allow them to recruit. But increasingly her compensation is being moved towards incentives and away from base pay. This will reduce RU's costs, and also cuts down on expense if she gets fired. Also there may be an even smaller buyout listed in the contract. I think they're letting her stick around to hit 1,000, but after that she's gonna be ushered out, unless there's a remarkable turnaround.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I appreciate the opportunity to continue to take the Scarlet Knights to great heights, in particular, with the current group of young ladies we have,” she said.

6-24 last year. Maybe 12 wins this year. They should have moved on, but she seems bullet proof. A lot of dollars for very little.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Okay, here's the proof: The Rutgers folks are just plain nuts. With all due respect to Coach Stringer, and she IS due some respect, it is past time she retired, and her team's record proves it. They have recruited decently and underperformed for a number of years now.

Reaction Score
Hey it is Rutgers..... Vivian is not a bad get..... who else is better considering the program

Reaction Score
Is that $700k for Stringer her base salary? She gets $300k more than Geno?

Reaction Score
I thought for sure when Rutgers entered the B1G and C. Vivian's contract was out they'd get someone new to start a new era of Rutgers WBB! She must have some blackmail on their AD and President as it's gone beyond reason!

Reaction Score
For better or worse, it’s the continuing way most universities distinguish women’s hoops from men’s hoops. A coach like Andy Landers would not have lasted through retirement in the UGA men’s program. Older successes don’t count as much for the men.
Coaches like Hatchell, Landers, and Stringer would've been forced out by now if they coached the men's program.

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We know we have been blessed with the Absolute Best #2 in the land. I think the one time that we were in great danger of losing her was when Rutgers went looking for a new head coach in the mid-1990's.
I happened to be in Iowa when Rutgers offered C. Viv and there was much conversation out there and much delay in her decision. My impression was that the delay caused CD to drop out of consideration for the head job at her alma mater....her UConn recruiting responsibilities came first. I would bet that if C. Viv had not taken that job, Rutgers would have gone hard after CD and she well might have taken it.

BTW: in her last year at Iowa C. Viv had a great anaconda class...I think there were 7 kids who were frosh her last year. She left....and so did some of those kids. One being Stacy Freese to Iowa State....Stacy being the younger sis of one Brenda at Maryland. One who stayed was our very own Nadine Domond....Bridgeport Central....in the same class as Nykesha Sales. IMO....Nadine was as talented a combo guard as Nykesha was a small forward.

I saw her play once in her junior year....she had about 40....wildly talented and just 'wild' at some points.
I went to the state final game in her senior year. She was having a very efficient and buttoned-down game in a nail-biter late. I was sitting with the Central crowd and several fans were shouting to her 'take over...dominate'. I swear that on at least one occasion Nadine looked over and responded with a smile and a gesture that indicated 'I got this'. And she did.

Late in her Iowa career they came to Gampel to play a coming-home game for Nadine. UConn won pretty easily with Domond playing pretty well. I remember Nadine going to the Husky logo right after the game and staring up at the final score....obviously 'down'. Geno walked out and they said a few words to each other...a hug...and walked off the court. I was in an end zone seat and couldn't hear what they said but a guess might be:

Geno: good game Nadine...if you had come here we would have won 2 rings during your career not
just the one in 1995.

Nadine: Thanks coach....I've been thinking about that myself.

IMO: we lost to Dreaded LadyVol in the 1996 semis in OT. Our guard corps was basically Jen and Nykesha....Rita Williams was on the team but had not yet developed into a very solid performer....not even close. Having Nadine with Jen and Kesha would have won that game....and would have led to a win over Georgia in the finals.

Reaction Score
One who stayed was our very own Nadine Domond....Bridgeport Central....in the same class as Nykesha Sales. IMO....Nadine was as talented a combo guard as Nykesha was a small forward.

I saw her play once in her junior year....she had about 40....wildly talented and just 'wild' at some points.
I went to the state final game in her senior year. She was having a very efficient and buttoned-down game in a nail-biter late. I was sitting with the Central crowd and several fans were shouting to her 'take over...dominate'. I swear that on at least one occasion Nadine looked over and responded with a smile and a gesture that indicated 'I got this'. And she did.

Late in her Iowa career they came to Gampel to play a coming-home game for Nadine. UConn won pretty easily with Domond playing pretty well. I remember Nadine going to the Husky logo right after the game and staring up at the final score....obviously 'down'. Geno walked out and they said a few words to each other...a hug...and walked off the court. I was in an end zone seat and couldn't hear what they said but a guess might be:

Geno: good game Nadine...if you had come here we would have won 2 rings during your career not
just the one in 1995.

Nadine: Thanks coach....I've been thinking about that myself.

IMO: we lost to Dreaded LadyVol in the 1996 semis in OT. Our guard corps was basically Jen and Nykesha....Rita Williams was on the team but had not yet developed into a very solid performer....not even close. Having Nadine with Jen and Kesha would have won that game....and would have led to a win over Georgia in the finals.

Just wondering if you know that Nadine is now an Assistant Coach at RU? This will be her second season.

I am one of the fans that is glad that they renewed Vivian's contract. I think she has coached her players in more aspects of their lives than just basketball plus she has a good track record in getting her players ready for the WNBA. I want her to be able to go out on her own terms and I don't think the game has passed her by. I think we will be better this year and I am hopeful that we have a shot at making the NCAA tournament. A lot will depend on how healthy Tyler is IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom