Russell Wilson is too small to be a FBS QB. | The Boneyard

Russell Wilson is too small to be a FBS QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Palatine said:
He can't see over the linemen. He will never be elite.

Who said that? I thought he was well regarded at NC State and Wisconsin?

Reaction Score
It's a reference to the former coach. Some fans refuse to move in to 14 and new staff, and instead constantly find something negative to dredge up from the bottom of the board to rehash. Had we gone w/smaller QBs we would have won the conference, gone to the BCS, been in the Pac12 and 5 stars would be begging to play here. Please keep up.

Reaction Score
Who said that? I thought he was well regarded at NC State and Wisconsin?

He lasted until the third round. Obviously a lot of teams felt that way.

Never underestimate the importance of intelligence and leadership with the QB position. Casey clearly excels in both categories.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a reference to the former coach. Some fans refuse to move in to 14 and new staff, and instead constantly find something negative to dredge up from the bottom of the board to rehash. Had we gone w/smaller QBs we would have won the conference, gone to the BCS, been in the Pac12 and 5 stars would be begging to play here. Please keep up.

You read this post and think its about a coach? Obsess much?

Reaction Score
Casey Cochran could be our Russel Wilson, diamond in the rough. Too small, too slow, weak arm!!!

Reaction Score
Casey Cochran could be our Russel Wilson, diamond in the rough. Too small, too slow, weak arm!!!
We already had one, his name was Mike Nebrich. It takes a great coach to recognize innate talent that cannot be quantified, Coach PP never could.

Reaction Score

I don't remember many people questioning Wilson's arm strength. His size yes, but not his arm strength. Brees and Wilson have shown you don't need the prototypical size. You need arm strength in the NFL, and they both have that.

Reading the defense, and knowing where the ball should be thrown before the snap can make up for a lack of arm strength. If Casey can be that guy for us, great. I don't care who wins the QB job, as long as UConn is winning football games.

Reaction Score
Joe Hamilton was a great college QB. Smaller than RW and with a weaker arm. Folks overestimate the importance of size in the college game. Not just at QB but everywhere on the field.

Reaction Score
I don't remember many people questioning Wilson's arm strength. His size yes, but not his arm strength. Brees and Wilson have shown you don't need the prototypical size. You need arm strength in the NFL, and they both have that.

Reading the defense, and knowing where the ball should be thrown before the snap can make up for a lack of arm strength. If Casey can be that guy for us, great. I don't care who wins the QB job, as long as UConn is winning football games.
Wilson is a winner, I watched almost all of his games at Wisconsin and knew then he was going places. As a matter of fact, Wisc that year could have played for the NC had they gotten a few breaks in two close games. I have not seen anyone with more ability to throw on the run since Joe Montana.

Reaction Score
Wilson is a winner, I watched almost all of his games at Wisconsin and knew then he was going places. As a matter of fact, Wisc that year could have played for the NC had they gotten a few breaks in two close games. I have not seen anyone with more ability to throw on the run since Joe Montana.

Yep he's big time. Gruden nailed it with his comments, everyone except Mel Kiper of course were high on him.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I remember he was looking at schools to go too and I was hoping he would come to UCONN. I am not sure UCONN was ever involved but he was a winner at NCST, Wisconsin and of course now Seattle.

Reaction Score
Tom O'Brien let him leave NC State so he could start Glennon at QB.

Reaction Score
Ironically, Glennon was selected slightly higher (73rd v. 75th pick; in the following draft).

Reaction Score
Wilson was certainly elite in college, and he's on his way in the NFL.

Wilson doesn't have the gaudy numbers because of that running game, but I'd put him in the 5-10 in the league. He had over 3,000 yards, about 26 TDs to only 9 INTs. Ran for another 400+/- yards.

Among starting QBs he was 7th in QB rating. Better than Romo, Roethlisberger, Kaepernick, Brady, and Newton. He threw for one more TD, and 2 fewer INTs, and a better completion percentage than Brady

Reaction Score
Wilson was certainly elite in college, and he's on his way in the NFL.

Wilson doesn't have the gaudy numbers because of that running game, but I'd put him in the 5-10 in the league. He had over 3,000 yards, about 26 TDs to only 9 INTs. Ran for another 400+/- yards.

Among starting QBs he was 7th in QB rating. Better than Romo, Roethlisberger, Kaepernick, Brady, and Newton. He threw for one more TD, and 2 fewer INTs, and a better completion percentage than Brady

He's been great at what they've asked him to do and that's to manage the offense and not make mistakes. I'm not sure he's in the elite category because he isn't the QB that's going to single-handedly put the team on his back, but with that defense and running game, he doesn't need to be. There's a lot to be said for a guy who can extend plays with his feet and doesn't make many mistakes. That being said, put him on a team like the Colts without much of anything around him and I think there's a very different view of him.

Reaction Score
He's been great at what they've asked him to do and that's to manage the offense and not make mistakes. I'm not sure he's in the elite category because he isn't the QB that's going to single-handedly put the team on his back, but with that defense and running game, he doesn't need to be. There's a lot to be said for a guy who can extend plays with his feet and doesn't make many mistakes. That being said, put him on a team like the Colts without much of anything around him and I think there's a very different view of him.

He just wins, he does whats required to win. He will never put up the gaudy numbers, the Seahawks put him in a great situation and he's taken advantage of it. He's a pass first qb, he knows when to throw and run. He is only 25, he comes through when he has to. What is elite anyways that word has been overused.

Reaction Score
He just wins, he does whats required to win. He will never put up the gaudy numbers, the Seahawks put him in a great situation and he's taken advantage of it. He's a pass first qb, he knows when to throw and run. He is only 25, he comes through when he has to. What is elite anyways that word has been overused.
Since watching him all through college I'd say his talents are ……excellent at throwing on the run (best in the game since Montana IMO), takes care of the football, very few turnovers, as quarterbacks go not a great runner but a very good one nonetheless, his scrambling talents might be the best in the pro game today, has really good finesse and misdirection (that lob pass on Sunday was great) but can also really zip it when he needs to. BTW, Montana was also a 3rd rounder.

That Wisconsin team in Wilson's senior year was really, really good and loaded with talent. Wilson, Nick Toon, JJ Watt, Montee Ball, Chris Borland, Jared Abridarous, Peter Konz, and some others. Still scratching my head why they lost those 2 mid season games. Wilson was leading in the Heisman voting before they lost those games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Overused just as much as just wins, which was the defense of Tim Tebow and Vince Young (not to say that he's on that level). Let's just say this, he is the perfect fit for that team and that situation. He could certainly still turn into the guy who can carry a team but he just doesn't need to be right now.

Reaction Score

No QB can do it by himself, they still need receivers and lineman. Part of the reason Wilson had better numbers than Brady (except total yards) is a result of the receivers. I disagree with your opinion of the Colts, but that isn't important. I would call the top 5 "elite". It's more likely he ends up in the top 5 than not. He's got good numbers, he's only played 2 years in the league, he does and says all the right things to make me think he's only going to improve with experience.

If I'm Seattle, I lock him down to a long term contract now. Even if he doesn't become one of the top 3-5, he's proven he can win a Super Bowl, and not in Trent Dilfer fashion, he's already better than Dilfer. He has better than 2:1 TD to INT, and both seasons he's passed the 100 mark for QB rating.

Dilfer in his best years never threw for more than 21 TDs, never had a rating over 92, and never once in his career did he threw better than 60%. Wilson has already surpassed those numbers in just 2 years. I don't think the "game manager" label applies to Wilson. He's not Brett Favre, but he's closer to Steve Young than he is Trent Dilfer.

Not saying you compared him to Dilfer, but he's the stereotypical "game manager".

Reaction Score
Do not extend him now! He's terrrific and should continue to develop there. But you have a salary cap and a QB earning near the minimum (and only 1/2 way thru contract). He can make extra bucks thru marketing. You do not screw up your cap when there is no reason to do so - this can be handled after next year or early in his 4th year. The worst thing SB teams do is to start throwing money around to guys w/o planning ahead and remembering what got them to the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom