Running Backs | The Boneyard

Running Backs

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Damn.

Shots fired by Edsall.

“I’ll just be honest,” Edsall said. “[Mensah] hasn’t developed as the type of leader that I would expect of a guy in his situation. He’s gotten better, but he still has a way to go to be the kind of leader he should be based on what he’s been able to accomplish.
“[Burns] has fit in very, very well. He’s made a very favorable impression on everyone in the program since he got here. That’s a very good addition, not just for the things he can do on the field, but he way he conducts himself as a person. A guy like Robert Burns is good for Kevin Mensah and the rest of those running backs, to see how he goes about his business on a daily basis.”

Meet Robert Burns, who helps feed the hungry, makes doughnuts and will soon carry the football for UConn - Hartford Courant

I still think Mensah is on field for first snap. Assuming everyone is healthy, Mensah, Burns and then Modeste and Carter.

Reaction Score
Damn.

Shots fired by Edsall.

“I’ll just be honest,” Edsall said. “[Mensah] hasn’t developed as the type of leader that I would expect of a guy in his situation. He’s gotten better, but he still has a way to go to be the kind of leader he should be based on what he’s been able to accomplish.
“[Burns] has fit in very, very well. He’s made a very favorable impression on everyone in the program since he got here. That’s a very good addition, not just for the things he can do on the field, but he way he conducts himself as a person. A guy like Robert Burns is good for Kevin Mensah and the rest of those running backs, to see how he goes about his business on a daily basis.”

Meet Robert Burns, who helps feed the hungry, makes doughnuts and will soon carry the football for UConn - Hartford Courant

I still think Mensah is on field for first snap. Assuming everyone is healthy, Mensah, Burns and then Modeste and Carter.
My guess is Mensah and Carter will get the majority of snaps this year. Would not be surprised at all if Carter had the most. I think it will resemble a Dixon/Todman 2009 distribution.

Reaction Score
Damn.

Shots fired by Edsall.

Agreed Mensah will be on the field to start against Fresno. That's clearly an attempt to light a fire under him, but even in doing so Edsall is clear he's not talking about his play but other qualities.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed Mensah will be on the field to start against Fresno. That's clearly an attempt to light a fire under him, but even in doing so Edsall is clear he's not talking about his play but other qualifies.

Agree. Read it that Edsall was almost playing Mensah because there weren't any other choices available to help motivate Mensah in developing leadership characteristics. Now? There's competition. Edsall has been very upfront about players on this team taking ownership of their roles and positions.

No surprise to anyone here that Edsall loves RB's who can be depended on for 20+ carries every game, don't fumble and don't miss blocking assignments on passing downs. Whomever can best do those tasks is getting most reps.

Reaction Score
No surprise to anyone here that Edsall loves RB's who can be depended on for 20+ carries every game, don't fumble and don't miss blocking assignments on passing downs. Whomever can best do those tasks is getting most reps.
Badda bing badda boom, no Randy Rocket science needed on this one. ;) Very grateful Burns found his way here at a good time providing depth much needed at the position.

schitts creek yes GIF by CBC

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DJ Shoemate fumbling near the goal line against Michigan came to mind.
We were there at the UConn side of the 50 on that play and couldn't believe how uninspired the team looked coming out for the start of the game. Walking, arms locked, no fire or enthusiasm. Totally opposite of Michigan coming out fired up.
Though we got behind early we had an opportunity to turn it around when he fumbled. He didn't lose the game, but it sure would have been interesting to see how Michigan would have reacted to falling behind after their great start.

Reaction Score
WE know that we (*under Edsall) that we can get a Dixon Brown Todman lineup going ... and that is preferable to Mensah getting 85% of the carry. We need to have the rotation.

And Yes ... Edsall is very predictable and not subtle.

Reaction Score
We were there at the UConn side of the 50 on that play and couldn't believe how uninspired the team looked coming out for the start of the game. Walking, arms locked, no fire or enthusiasm. Totally opposite of Michigan coming out fired up.
Though we got behind early we had an opportunity to turn it around when he fumbled. He didn't lose the game, but it sure would have been interesting to see how Michigan would have reacted to falling behind after their great start.

The play you're talking about midway through the third quarter would have cut their lead to 7, not put us up, but it was a chance to try to grab the momentum having changed our gameplan on how to deal with Robinson at halftime.

We were emotionally off that game, although I've always attributed it to a combination of Endres having let everyone down by getting benched for his personal behavior, Lutrus getting hurt early in the first quarter, not knowing how to deal with Robinson in his first game as a starter (and can't imagine anyone would have known how to deal with him) and the almost predictible let down after the emotional roller coaster of trying to deal with Jazz's death and the three heartbreaking attempts to get him a win the prior year. But it wasn't just the Michigan game were we were emotionally flat. We really didn't play with the right look in our eyes until the WVU game, at which point we were beyond desperate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
WE know that we (*under Edsall) that we can get a Dixon Brown Todman lineup going ... and that is preferable to Mensah getting 85% of the carry. We need to have the rotation.

And Yes ... Edsall is very predictable and not subtle.
The question is whether a between the tackles control game plan can still win games in the age of high octane offenses.

Reaction Score
DJ Shoemate fumbling near the goal line against Michigan came to mind.
DJ’s coach at Servite HS in Anaheim California was at our tailgate all morning. (He was also the coach of Johnny McEntee who had played with Shoemate at Servite) Very good young coach. He was talking about what a good running back DJ was and how USC misused him. He was showing my young grandson how to hold the ball high and tight when you run. How ironic was that! A few hours later DJ fumbled at the end zone vs Michigan— on his very first carry for the Huskies. Someone yelled “He didn’t deserve to carry the ball in that critical 4th down spot, He hadn’t earned it yet.” We all agreed.

Reaction Score
DJ’s coach at Servite HS in Anaheim California was at our tailgate all morning. (He was also the coach of Johnny McEntee who had played with Shoemate at Servite) Very good young coach. He was talking about what a good running back DJ was and how USC misused him. He was showing my young grandson how to hold the ball high and tight when you run. How ironic was that! A few hours later DJ fumbled at the end zone vs Michigan— on his very first carry for the Huskies. Someone yelled “He didn’t deserve to carry the ball in that critical 4th down spot, He hadn’t earned it yet.” We all agreed.
Oh for God’s sake. The play before that, a 5’6” true frosh back up QB took a snap on a play in a wildcat formation that worked inside the ten. Kinnard I think? I don’t think he got in at QB again, transferred to Towson and played as a WR when they beat us three years later under P.

You all yelled “he hadn’t earned it yet” then too, right, even though the play worked? Because you wouldn’t just be shameless second guessers who after a play fails blames the coach?

DJ fumbled. As he did against Vandy when he got a chance to start. And that was it for his career as a TB here. But he got the carry because in pre-season camp he beat out Robbie Frey for the back up role.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh for God’s sake. The play before that, a 5’6” true fresh back up QB took a snap on a play that worked inside the ten. Kinnard I think? I don’t think he got in at QB again, transferred to Towson and played as a WR when they beat us three years later under P.

You all yelled “he hadn’t earned it then yet” too, right, even though the play worked? Because you wouldn’t just be shameless second guessers who after a play fails blames the coach?

DJ fumbled. As he did against VAndy when he got a chance to start. And that was it for his career as a TB here. But he got the carry because in pre-season camp he beat out Robbie Frey for the back up role.
Forgot about the Kinnard run before that. He caught a TD against us in that Towson game.

Reaction Score
Oh for God’s sake. The play before that, a 5’6” true frosh back up QB took a snap on a play in a wildcat formation that worked inside the ten. Kinnard I think? I don’t think he got in at QB again, transferred to Towson and played as a WR when they beat us three years later under P.

You all yelled “he hadn’t earned it yet” then too, right, even though the play worked? Because you wouldn’t just be shameless second guessers who after a play fails blames the coach?

DJ fumbled. As he did against Vandy when he got a chance to start. And that was it for his career as a TB here. But he got the carry because in pre-season camp he beat out Robbie Frey for the back up role.
It was a bad decision by the coaches to put in DJ even though he made the 1st down yardage. He fumbled the ball. That's what can happen when you put in a player cold off the bench on such a critical 4th and 1 near the goal line at sold out Michigan Stadium. Shoemate had never taken even one snap in live action for the Huskies, and Jordan Todman was available. You can disagree as to whether he had “earned that carry” (I say he hadn't) but if there’s no room for second guessing in football, analysts (and the Boneyard) would be out of business. Watch Espn's recap video and you just might hear more of what you term "shameless second guessing" at 7:36.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom