Running back Depth | The Boneyard

Running back Depth

Reaction Score
Have not been following the recruiting very closely. Was wondering who we think might back up KM this season.

Reaction Score
Most likely RS Soph Khyon Gillespie...the staff seems to like True Frosh Nate Carter also so he’ll likely get some carries as well

Yup, the reports on Nate Carter were glowing, speed and decent size. Hopefully Khyon is close to 100% healed.

Reaction Score
I think Mensah better be prepared for 300 touches because there is not much behind him. I am sure he is more than ready for that though.

Reaction Score
I think Mensah better be prepared for 300 touches because there is not much behind him. I am sure he is more than ready for that though.

that suggests we continue to struggle moving the ball thru the air, don’t continue to use jet sweeps, no RPO, etc. in other words, we need HC to have more confidence in QB more than we need a 4th RB option.

Reaction Score
that suggests we continue to struggle moving the ball thru the air, don’t continue to use jet sweeps, no RPO, etc. in other words, we need HC to have more confidence in QB more than we need a 4th RB option.

i dont think there is any doubt we continue to struggle moving the ball through the air but 300 Touches is not crazy. In fact I would expect HCRE to rely on run quite a bit

Reaction Score
i dont think there is any doubt we continue to struggle moving the ball through the air but 300 Touches is not crazy. In fact I would expect HCRE to rely on run quite a bit

Mensah improved last year but he is not the kind of kid you can build a team around. And giving him 300 touches will mean you are not developing any depth. Hopefully Edsall has a true open competition at RB.

Reaction Score
Having trouble getting out of bed in the morning, can't imagine running into a bunch of crazy 250 lb. plus guys 25 times once a week and it not wrecking havoc on your body. Kid needs some help. He hardly ever makes guys miss/runs out of bounds so each carry is a collision.

Reaction Score
I know he might be at a disadvantage because of the shortened offseason workouts, but I hope someone with Brian Brewton’s offers could contribute as a freshman. Also, we need Gillespie to step up.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a blurb in a spring article that stated Nate Carter was the third fastest guy on the team? We haven't had a RB with WR speed in a while. Houston will be the fastest guy on the team but he probably needs a redshirt year to mature.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nate Carter won't see the field as an RB if he misses blocking assignments or can't hold his block. Edsall put Donald Brown on the bench for much of his sophomore season in favor of Dixon because the Don wasn't picking up blitzes well enough.

Reaction Score
I thought you guys were fos but he ran Donald Brown 28 tiimes a game. Geez.

It's more than that -- he ran the Donald 28 times a game WITH A FUTURE NFL TAILBACK AS THE BACKUP AND A FORMER 1000 YARD RUSHER NOT GETTING IN GAMES AT ALL.

In fairness to Esdall, (i) Brown led the country in rushing yardage by a few hundred yards, and (ii) he didn't like to come out and when he did come out he'd walk right back onto the field after a play without discussing it with the coaches.

Reaction Score
Mensah improved last year but he is not the kind of kid you can build a team around. And giving him 300 touches will mean you are not developing any depth. Hopefully Edsall has a true open competition at RB.
He’s a decent back who found some mojo last year, but he is not going to carry the offense on his back. No way. If Edsall Insists on using a B+ level back with a B- front line to establish run dominance without a Fullback, he’s smoking dope.

Reaction Score
You can build a team around Kevin Mensah. This year if it happens we have 2 young QB's with experience as well as a good receiving corps. Kevin is ready to roll and it is the best situation he has been in to succeed. The OC will really rely on him and Carter is a good option to spell him if need be.

Reaction Score
Mensah does a lot of things well. So many times he made something out of nothing. He can run inside and take it outside. Most of the time he was eluding contact in his own backfield. Love to see him run with more room. Last year he made some really nice catches too. My hope is his versatility will be used as part of a balanced offense that doesn’t need him to carry 30 times.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Mensah has improved from year to year. Not sure why the Boneyard thinks he has maxed out. If the O line can open holes and he can improve his pass catching and blocking, he can be a 3 down weapon. As for backups, you need them. But the offense is better when players can do multiple things and the D can't key on players because they only play in certain situations.

Reaction Score
He’s a decent back who found some mojo last year, but he is not going to carry the offense on his back. No way. If Edsall Insists on using a B+ level back with a B- front line to establish run dominance without a Fullback, he’s smoking dope.
Where we getting a B+ level running back?

Reaction Score
Where we getting a B+ level running back?
He’s pretty decent. Better than average but not a A level RB. He seems to me to be a step slow to the outside against quality speed teams, doesn’t find his holes exceptionally well, and he’s not great after first contact. Strangely, though, he seems to pick is way through the first level fairly well, particularly in the interior, despite not having tremendous power. I think he punches above his weight, all things considered. But as a primary offensive key, I don’t know how he wins you games unless there are credible options that spread the D. My 2 cents.

Reaction Score
Nate Carter won't see the field as an RB if he misses blocking assignments or can't hold his block. Edsall put Donald Brown on the bench for much of his sophomore season in favor of Dixon because the Don wasn't picking up blitzes well enough.
To be fair, Andre Dixon was a pretty good RB.

Reaction Score

Agreed, but I also don't see Donald Brown or Andre Dixon speed or ability in Nate Carter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom