Runaway MVP Tina Charles with great game in Sun comeback... | The Boneyard

Runaway MVP Tina Charles with great game in Sun comeback...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Honestly I don't get why WNBA.com has Parker in 2nd place in the Race for the MVP, or why they think it's even close, but Tina has a spectacular game scoring 24 points in a come from behind victory for the Sun.

The funny thing is Chicago was playing without Fowles. I honestly could see the Sun losing in the 1st round if Jones doesn't come back...

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Just back from the game. Tina was MVP TINA tonight. Allie Hightower worked her @55 off covering the Prince and others and managed to dish 5 assists also. Kara wasn't getting open much but handed out 9 assists. Key 3's by Tan, Renee and Danielle set the stage for the win along with a very agressive/productive stretch by MVP TINA.

Not sure how it looked on TV but from my pretty good seat, the refs may have reached a new low.

The toughest stretch of the year begins now... away at PHO, LAS and SEA; then home for the two best teams in the east... IND and ATL... brutal.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just back from the game. Tina was MVP TINA tonight. Allie Hightower worked her @55 off covering the Prince and others and managed to dish 5 assists also. Kara wasn't getting open much but handed out 9 assists. Key 3's by Tan, Renee and Danielle set the stage for the win along with a very agressive/productive stretch by MVP TINA.

The toughest stretch of the year begins now... away at PHO, LAS and SEA; then home for the two best teams in the east... IND and ATL... brutal.
Wow that is brutal. Will Jones be back this year? I find it curious they struggled against a Chicago team who was missing their best player (Fowles)...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Seems like a footnote among you Sun-rousers, but I'm pointing out that Swin was 25 & 15.

Reaction Score
Wow that is brutal. Will Jones be back this year? I find it curious they struggled against a Chicago team who was missing their best player (Fowles)...
I have season tickets too. It was a horribly officiated game. I did DVR the game so will watch it at some point as well to see what the announcers (Bob Heussler and Jenn Rizzotti) said about the officials, etc. As far as Asjha, Mike Thibault said that he may play her on this upcoming west coast road trip. He also said Tina is banged up and may miss a game or two. I think he is just being very cautious with Asjha; he said a while ago if this were the playoffs she could play.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I want to retract a statement I made yesterday. Tina's old roommate just put up 18 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal, and 1 block, with only 1 turnover. Minnesota beat a good San Antonio club by 19 without Seimone. The best WNBA player since the Olympic break has been Golden Girl Maya Moore. Tina and Maya could finish 1 and 2 in the MVP balloting, just as they finished 1 and 2 in the NPOY voting in 2010. Look out world, Maya Moore is getting better all the time.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Seems like a footnote among you Sun-rousers, but I'm pointing out that Swin was 25 & 15.

Swin had 21 pts and 15 rebs and was a beast. Once the intros are over , just another "bad guy".

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Swin needed to step up in Sylvia's absence and may have been inspired by playing in Connecticut. This was probably her best game of the year. She still has it!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In the post-game notes, Thibault said that they will play against Phoenix on Wednesday without Tina. He didn't say why, but I guess the reason is that she is "banged up". Not noticeable today. However, in the last two games, she has had 3 and 6 rebounds respectively, which is way below what one expects from her.

I am slightly concerned about Kara Lawson's jump shot -- it has been off-target in at least the last two games. When he shot isn't going down, she can be basent from the game, although she had lots of assists and rebounds today.

Renee's 3-point shot is definitely back in good health, and has been since the Olympic break. I believe she was 3-6 today, including two big ones to get back the lead in the second half.

I agree; Swin was great. An All-Star level performance.

Reaction Score
They actually often play better with Fowles. Perhaps a little Patrick Ewing effect.

Reaction Score
I know Jones is injured, but how is Kelsey Griffin getting meaningful minutes for a contending team, let alone starting? She's sooo bad.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
In the post-game notes, Thibault said that they will play against Phoenix on Wednesday without Tina. He didn't say why, but I guess the reason is that she is "banged up". Not noticeable today. However, in the last two games, she has had 3 and 6 rebounds respectively, which is way below what one expects from her.

I am slightly concerned about Kara Lawson's jump shot -- it has been off-target in at least the last two games. When he shot isn't going down, she can be basent from the game, although she had lots of assists and rebounds today.

Renee's 3-point shot is definitely back in good health, and has been since the Olympic break. I believe she was 3-6 today, including two big ones to get back the lead in the second half.

I agree; Swin was great. An All-Star level performance.

But I'm saddened that Kalana's contribution has been so...pedestrian.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Getting Griffin is one of the worse trades that Thibault has made. Should not have taken a chance on a one year college wonder using that high of a draft pick. Can't afford to lose to Phoenix again if they want to win Divison and avoid meeting Atlanta in the 1st round.

Reaction Score
But I'm saddened that Kalana's contribution has been so...pedestrian.
Did you watch last nights game? KG was put in "every" time they needed a defensive stop and it seemed to me a couple of those resulted in shot clock violations. Not exactly "pedestrian" in my book.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Did you watch last nights game? KG was put in "every" time they needed a defensive stop and it seemed to me a couple of those resulted in shot clock violations. Not exactly "pedestrian" in my book.
that's one reason i think Faris has a place in the WNBA. She's not really shown an offensive game but her defense has always been stellar.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

It's so that I did not see the game and was relying on points, assists & rebounds stats. Coach has indicated that he needs more production from the 3, but if she's being a standout on defense, great. Only hope that's sufficiently appreciated. Kalana is a favorite of mine.

Reaction Score
I know Jones is injured, but how is Kelsey Griffin getting meaningful minutes for a contending team, let alone starting? She's sooo bad.

I wouldn't call 10 points and 4 rebounds in 19 minutes bad.

Reaction Score
It's so that I did not see the game and was relying on points, assists & rebounds stats. Coach has indicated that he needs more production from the 3, but if she's being a standout on defense, great. Only hope that's sufficiently appreciated. Kalana is a favorite of mine.

They were even subbing in KG for Lawson at the end of the game for defense.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They were even subbing in KG for Lawson at the end of the game for defense.
that makes sense. it's so hard to tell who played well with just looking at the box score. there were quite a few games last year where Kelly played phenomenally but didn't really fill up the stat sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom