Run, Run, Run: UConn dominates Times sports page | The Boneyard

Run, Run, Run: UConn dominates Times sports page

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What a great article. Lots of interesting details. Gives great insight into why we have the best conditioned team out there and why that is important. Glad I do not need to follow that regimen. :D

Reaction Score
Yes, I agree: it's one of the few recent articles that comes at UConn's greatness from a different direction: not entirely of course, because Geno's practices are legendary, but this about 24/7/365 conditioning. If other teams take this to heart--if other coaches are pushed by these revelations in turn to push their teams--then, yes, UConn's competition will improve, but so will WCBB overall.

The next article that needs to be written is about the intensity of developing basketball IQ. The very challenging full-switching on defense and R&R motion 5 on offense. Because UConn trains its players as rigorously mentally as it does physically.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I knew the stuff about the practices being tough but had no idea about all the other preparation, including the emphasis on nutrition. "An hour before each game, players drink a shake with slow-releasing carbohydrates; it is designed to bolster their energy and stabilize blood-sugar levels. For recovery after weight training, Kimball is a proponent of tart cherry juice to help reduce joint and muscle pain." The attention to every little detail by Geno and his staff is amazing.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! What an incredible article.

I like the bottom line - its all about the desire to win.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I really like the picture. The gauntlet. Spacing, spacing, spacing.

The weight room shot: It's a hard knock life started running through my head.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Give Me Back My Bracelet.jpg

Give me back my bracelet Kia!

Reaction Score
It provides further insight into why not everyone wants to play for UConn...and also why many don't want to play against them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What is interesting and worthy of note is this attention to detail has been around for quite a while for professional athletes and for male college athletes (Gatorade was developed for U of FL football team in 1965.) It has certainly been around for male and female individual athletes both in the legal and illegal side of performance enhancement for a long time, but it is fairly recent that it has really reached down to college level team sports for women. I am sure the UNC women's soccer team is pretty intensely monitoring their players and so no doubt is Uconn - but given the paltry facilities for Geno and CD when they arrived and for the first decade, the past 20 years could be consider an explosion of equality in the technology of sports for WCBB.

Reaction Score
The full first sports page in today's Times hardcopy. It's about conditioning. which is about dedication and effort. which is about--not just recruiting top athletes but turning them into top teammates. Yup, UConn's bad for WCBB alright. :rolleyes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/...&gwh=6D55D4319B7C8CEF1AB2FAE8781D56B2&gwt=pay

The USA has relied on physical fitness --beyond the norm--for our special Armed Forces: Marines, Special Forces, Seals---all endure the unedurable being pushed to the limits. Geno, does not go that far--but his training for endurance is an essential belief within his program.
New Recruits --find this part of Geno's methods to success--the hardest. Along with the mental demands of offense and defense--Uconn players must accept what many of their counterparts will not accept. Some transfer--most don't.
Thanks Bags---the moral is---what is worth doing --is worth doing well. Geno regularly, points his team to the rigors of the Theater. Months of prep and then 2 or 3 shows a day, sometimes for months or years and each performance is expect to be a good as the best.

Reaction Score
Yes, I agree: it's one of the few recent articles that comes at UConn's greatness from a different direction: not entirely of course, because Geno's practices are legendary, but this about 24/7/365 conditioning. If other teams take this to heart--if other coaches are pushed by these revelations in turn to push their teams--then, yes, UConn's competition will improve, but so will WCBB overall.

The next article that needs to be written is about the intensity of developing basketball IQ. The very challenging full-switching on defense and R&R motion 5 on offense. Because UConn trains its players as rigorously mentally as it does physically.

Just a comment: Geno finds players, good to great and not so good--who he thinks will buy into his methods--he passes by many "apparent" top talent--because in interview he determines their lack of real motivation--and most of the other programs--accept them--and live with the inability to condition them---I point to Tenn--loaded with top talent, most of whom Geno interviewed--who told the world they rejected Uconn. AS often quoted: UCONN ISN'T FOR EVERYONE --also--HARD WORK IS NOT A GREAT RECRUITING POSTER.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What is interesting and worthy of note is this attention to detail has been around for quite a while for professional athletes and for male college athletes (Gatorade was developed for U of FL football team in 1965.) It has certainly been around for male and female individual athletes both in the legal and illegal side of performance enhancement for a long time, but it is fairly recent that it has really reached down to college level team sports for women. I am sure the UNC women's soccer team is pretty intensely monitoring their players and so no doubt is Uconn - but given the paltry facilities for Geno and CD when they arrived and for the first decade, the past 20 years could be consider an explosion of equality in the technology of sports for WCBB.

I think I like what you are saying, even if I don't understand it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom